PDA

View Full Version : André Gray

ClaretinBudapest
21-02-2017, 01:50 PM
André seems to have completely lost the plot this season.By the time Lincoln scored we could have been 2 or 3 up if he had put his shooting boots on.Even some of the goals he has scored had a bit of luck attached.What has gone wrong?He was prolific last season.If it was a case of the step up in class then surely that would not have affected him against non-league opposition.He seems to make some bad decisions as well-he shoots when he could pass to other players who have more chance of scoring.
I think Ingsy,Charlie Austin or Jay would have buried at least one of the chances on Sunday.

alfinyalcabo
21-02-2017, 02:04 PM
It's called,a lack of self confidence and not bring able to trap a bag of cement ...

Deadlydave
21-02-2017, 02:22 PM
I think a lot of his problem is that his first touch is poor. In lower leagues you can get away with that too some degree if you create plenty of chances for Strikers However in Premier league you don't get that luxury and Grey has lost confidence as a result. I am not sure if he has what it takes to cut it at the highest level. I still think we will need to buy a quality striker in the summer if we stay in this league.

The Bedlington Terrier
21-02-2017, 03:01 PM
I think he a bit preoccupied with the Little Minx he is knocking about with.

Leigh-Anne Pinnock needs to jump on Do One Airlines...

...and come back in June.

Norder
21-02-2017, 04:44 PM

it's his "timing".

- head gets signal but doesn't send to boot accurately.....there's a disconnect.

imo.

:)

sinkov
21-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Whatever the problem he needs to get back on track quickly. To say he looked a non-league player against Lincoln would be an

insult to an average non-league player.

thedonz
21-02-2017, 11:01 PM
I agree with most of the things said about him but the poor service and supply he gets doesn't help. Bit like Vokes not getting the crosses he thrives on.

Dyche has a system this season for the goals to be spread out amongst all the players rather than be reliant on one player. It's worked so far.

The Bedlington Terrier
22-02-2017, 05:54 AM
It didn't on Saturday donzy. :(

gardsPNE
22-02-2017, 06:36 AM
I watched the highlights on motd and watching him he still looked hungry for it and when a decent ball was played which was rare during the game he was onto it like a flash. I think it's just his finishing and the one thing all strikers need is game time. It's the one position in a team that really does Krave games more than any other position in the team. I think Dyche should take that risk have a chat with him and give him a 6-8 game run at least starting at Hull this weekend. I do think he played that well in the Championship he can cut it in the Prem

army88
22-02-2017, 06:56 AM
I agree with most of the things said about him but the poor service and supply he gets doesn't help. Bit like Vokes not getting the crosses he thrives on.

Dyche has a system this season for the goals to be spread out amongst all the players rather than be reliant on one player. It's worked so far.

Exactly Donz

He does have faults as I've said on here before , control is poor on balls played into him , tries to roll players whilst backing in to them ( in effect he's waiting for the ball to get to him -- at this level the defenders will just take it ) .

However I've had the discussion with others around me and my dad , IMO he's a goal machine just waiting to happen he simply needs to be shown the right runs to make off the back of the centre backs and In between centre back and full back and he will frighten teams to death.

The flip side of this is you need to have someone to supply the correct balls into these areas ( as you alluded to same goes for Vokes tbh different supply ball but same principal) .

So in conclusion for me anyway the management team need to find away of supplying him whilst conditioning him to make the runs into the positions needed.
We forget that 4 plus years ago he was playing at Lincoln s level of football.

blueheeler1
22-02-2017, 08:06 AM
The general comments are kind to gray and that's fine.

Personally I do not think he is a natural goalscorer.

He is not a prolific shooter of the ball beyond 20 yds so I have to compare him to the ace goal sneak--Jimmy Greaves.

And there is no comparison.

Gray is not a Prem forward and that is equally hurting Vokes who relies on the right kind of feed.

As Vokes is not what I call a natural goal scorer himself we are suffering.

james78
22-02-2017, 10:11 AM
maybe he is head over heels in love he's a little mixed up at the moment!!! pun intended ditch the bird and grab your training boots :mad:

sinkov
22-02-2017, 10:59 AM
The flip side of this is you need to have someone to supply the correct balls into these areas ( as you alluded to same goes for Vokes tbh different supply ball but same principal) .
So in conclusion for me anyway the management team need to find away of supplying him whilst conditioning him to make the runs into the positions needed.

I'm wouldn't argue with that, it seems obvious, which is why it bemuses me to see Dyche parking Steven Defour out on the left wing when he could be more central feeding Gray, he's by some distance the best equipped player we have for that job.

Norder
22-02-2017, 03:25 PM

be an interesting rule if - for one game of the season - only the players themselves could decide - their position, tactics , formation etc.

:D

ClaretinBudapest
22-02-2017, 03:42 PM
In a way I agree that he does not get enough service but all the great strikers of past and present usually are great because even if they only get one or 2 chances in a game then they take them.I have watched every game so far this season and Gray has had at least 2-5 chances per game when he has played.Against Chelsea and Lincoln he had at least 2 good chances.
I think his confidence is lacking and he is now that desperate to score that he is possibly trying too hard even shooting when passing to a player in a better position would be the preferred option.
I thought after the hatrick against Sunderland that he would get better but if anything he has got worse.

Supersub6
22-02-2017, 04:11 PM
In a way I agree that he does not get enough service but all the great strikers of past and present usually are great because even if they only get one or 2 chances in a game then they take them.I have watched every game so far this season and Gray has had at least 2-5 chances per game when he has played.Against Chelsea and Lincoln he had at least 2 good chances.
I think his confidence is lacking and he is now that desperate to score that he is possibly trying too hard even shooting when passing to a player in a better position would be the preferred option.
I thought after the hatrick against Sunderland that he would get better but if anything he has got worse.

Interesting point about his shooting instead of passing to a player in a better position because, on Saturday, I thought that exactly the opposite applied, particularly in the first half when he had a couple of good opportunities to shoot but laid the ball off instead.
Having said that, I would say that that is also a lack of confidence

He has suffered though from a lack of service but he has worked hard and it has to be remembered that you onlymisschances when you are in positions to score them.
In his defence I would also mention Jamie Vardy who made 34 PL appearances in 2014/15 and scored 5 goals with 4 of those coming in the last 10 matches.
This season, Vardy has appeared in 22 PL matches and scored 5 goals and 3 of those came in their win over Man City.
Perhaps we should give Andre a bit more time.