PDA

View Full Version : Falling down the table??

oldcolner
19-03-2017, 11:04 PM
We are currently down to 13th .... but Watford and Leicester are just one point behind with a game in hand at the International break so we could fall to 15th and if Palace win their game in hand they will be one point behind

However, we are only one point behind Bournemouth and West Ham having played the same number of games so there are 5 clubs in the mix for 10th place - 15th place just two points apart and a couple more could join them.
So two points might make a 14M difference in PL place bonus.

Fortunately we are effectively 9 points from relegation places with 9 games left (5 at home).... unless Boro win their game in hand.

Altobelli
20-03-2017, 01:29 AM
The home form is why we are where we are as only 2 points from away days is disappointing.

If our home form goes tits up then we are in deep doo doo.

Dyche has been difficult to work out on our travels, his reluctance to "go for it" when away and his late subs leave me bewildered and frustrated, also him leaving D4 on the bench leads me to think maybe everything in the Turf Moor garden is not so comforting as it seems.

The Bedlington Terrier
20-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Dyche's continued reliance on his two old workhorses Boyd and Arfield whilst leaving nearly 30 million quidsworth on the bench in Westwood, Brady and Defour is worrying the heck out of me.

Sunderland should have been slaughtered and anyone who thinks Spurs, Stoke, Manchester United, West Brom and West Ham are going to give us a "Hall Pass" had better think again!

Our away form is undermining our season and Dyche seems unable to grasp the danger and the reality of shockingly inept away performances.

Middlesbrough is now massive and make no mistake about that! :s

thedonz
20-03-2017, 07:21 AM
We still have a big cushion between us and the bottom sides and are slowly picking up points away.

While there is no complacency, it was important we didn't get beat on Saturday.

More home games than away games left.

I feel we are in a stonger position than a month ago

oldcolner
20-03-2017, 07:39 AM
We still have a big cushion between us and the bottom sides and are slowly picking up points away.

While there is no complacency, it was important we didn't get beat on Saturday.

More home games than away games left.

I feel we are in a stonger position than a month ago

If the bottom three or four can keep losing then we are ok, but there are a few games between bottom teams where some wins will be gained. Right now we haven't won for 6 games since beating Watford at the beginning of Feb including the loss to Lincoln.

We need to get the home form going again and aim high. Spurs won't be easy though even without Kane.

Supersub6
20-03-2017, 07:49 AM
When we beat Sunderland at the end of the year we were in 11th place.
Since then we have played 10 matches and 7 of those have been away from home. We have picked up 9 points, scored 10 and conceded 13 and are currently in 13th place, which is where we were after losing at Arsenal.

oldcolner
20-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Dyche's continued reliance on his two old workhorses Boyd and Arfield whilst leaving nearly 30 million quidsworth on the bench in Westwood, Brady and Defour is worrying the heck out of me.

Sunderland should have been slaughtered and anyone who thinks Spurs, Stoke, Manchester United, West Brom and West Ham are going to give us a "Hall Pass" had better think again!

Our away form is undermining our season and Dyche seems unable to grasp the danger and the reality of shockingly inept away performances.

Yes Easter is massive with two home games on the trot. Maybe Defour will be back to full fitness physically and have the attitude to show us what he is made of.

The Bedlington Terrier
20-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Yes Easter is massive with two home games on the trot. Maybe Defour will be back to full fitness physically and have the attitude to show us what he is made of.

Have they moved Easter oldcolner?

Primitive
20-03-2017, 08:31 AM

They move it every year ;D

When we beat Sunderland at the end of the year we were in 11th place.
Since then we have played 10 matches and 7 of those have been away from home. We have picked up 9 points, scored 10 and conceded 13 and are currently in 13th place, which is where we were after losing at Arsenal.

Exactly. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

oldcolner
20-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Laid an egg there!
Easter School holidays start 31/3 here.

In Dyche We Trust
20-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Staying in the PL is the only priority whether we win away or not. There is no reason to suggest our home form will take a dip for no apparent reason. When SD becomes the first manager in our history to keep us in the PL, we should give him the freedom of the town and hope to God he stays and is not driven away by all the doom and gloom merchants who cry to their mammy when Tom loses the toss.......

army88
20-03-2017, 11:55 AM

I appreciate all of that Bedlington, and I can see why you think it.

I've had to pinch myself once or twice the last couple of weeks because it would be fantastic if we could go out and win most weeks and draw the others but we can't , we are already batting above our level with the team and resources available to us .

The problem we have is ( me included) we expect to be in the top half of the table and reality is its a miracle when we are.

ClaretinBudapest
20-03-2017, 01:23 PM
It is all about fine margins.The only problem is,away from home, we seem to be on the wrong end of the fine margin every time.I think we could have a fine margin win at Boro.

Primitive
20-03-2017, 01:42 PM
It is all about fine margins.The only problem is,away from home, we seem to be on the wrong end of the fine margin every time.I think we could have a fine margin win at Boro.

Who are you and what have you done with the real CiB?!

james78
20-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Even though our superb home has lifted us to where we are , it's our away form has been dire to say the least all season , but taking into consideration our away performances have improved a great deal since the goalless draw away at man utd , we have improved massively in 2017 , although results say otherwise. Our home form going to be a massive during our run in saying the teams that have to come to the turf yet also. I still stand by my earlier points tally of 38 will be ok for the team finishing 17th. not forgetting we have a superior GD than most teams below us , so theirs a point in itself. no worries , we are safe!!

ClaretinBudapest
21-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Who are you and what have you done with the real CiB?!

I am not feeling well at the moment.Missus says I should go to the quack.I said I will when Burnley win away....

Primitive
21-03-2017, 08:11 AM
I am not feeling well at the moment.Missus says I should go to the quack.I said I will when Burnley win away....

That post yesterday must have been a rare moment of clarity.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

map
21-03-2017, 12:23 PM
What difference does it make if any team is playing "home" or "away" ?
They are professional footballers, earning vast amounts of money.
It really does bemuse me.....

oldcolner
21-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Some suggestions for differences, the crowd are said to be worth a goal, the travel distance can affect fitness and different pitches take time to get used to, even changing rooms.
Refs may tend to favour the home side in their decision making
The mental attitude of the players and the managers tactics have perhaps more impact. We don't seem to play to win away apart from the first half at Liverpool and maybe Sunderland.

Norder
21-03-2017, 04:11 PM

odd isn't it.....but then why aren't there more Super Players.....why that gulf between those few kick ball greats that appear so infrequently and the humdrum....of always.
Otherwise - I guess we wouldn't have a Super.....as the special would be commonplace - but that just isn't the way the game is rigged.

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
21-03-2017, 05:00 PM
I am bemused at our away form.

We look the same, we play the same more or less as we do at home but we end up losing.

On reflection Murphy's Law seems to prevail, if it can go wrong it usually does. :confused: