PDA

View Full Version : First team squad review

blueheeler1
29-08-2017, 01:26 AM
A quick review of our first team squad shows it to be numerically low in numbers--let alone quality.

The 22 outfield players include Marney (coming back from long-term injury) Agyei (still learning the trade and way below Prem quality at present) and at least 3 others who are numerical "fill-ins" at best..

Any talk of offloading Barnes and maybe one other would leave us in a precarious position with injuries; suspensions and loss of form bound to happen over a season.

Let's hope we get to 40 points quickly whilst the numerically-challenged squad is still able to perform.

We need lots of points by end December IMO.

The Bedlington Terrier
29-08-2017, 02:46 AM
I'll bet our first team players don't think they are short of quality!

They certainly did not look short of quality at Stamford Bridge or Wembley.

Realistically, we are short of one centre back and one genuine wide man.

The word in my earpiece is that a genuine wide man will be here by Thursday and unless miracles happen any further layers added to the squad will have to wait until January.

Robinson, Barton, Keane, Boyd, Darikwa, Gray gone - Cork, Walters, Taylor, Bardsley, Wood and Legzdins in = 6 in 6 out.

Ulvestad and Anderson it must be admitted are nowhere near ready for the EPL but I think Dan Agyei isn't far off, might be time to give him a proper chance but he is behind Wood, Vokes, Walters and Barnes in the pecking order.

To summarize we are stronger than last year, more experienced and have TEN full internationals to choose from: Heaton, Ward, Defour, Brady, Gudmundsson, Hendrick, Wood, Walters, Kev Long and Arfield.

I'm not having we are short of quality looking at that lot! ;D

sinkov
29-08-2017, 06:38 AM
Heaton, Pope.
Lowton, Tarkowski, Long, Mee, Ward, Taylor, Bardsley.
Iceland, Hendrick, Cork, Defour, Brady, Westwood, Arfield.
Vokes, Wood, Barnes, Walters.

20 there, all capable, no passengers, I don't see a problem. Expand that squad by much and you have the problem of keeping them all match fit and happy.

blueheeler1
30-08-2017, 04:21 AM
I'll bet our first team players don't think they are short of quality!

They certainly did not look short of quality at Stamford Bridge or Wembley.

Realistically, we are short of one centre back and one genuine wide man.

The word in my earpiece is that a genuine wide man will be here by Thursday and unless miracles happen any further layers added to the squad will have to wait until January.

Robinson, Barton, Keane, Boyd, Darikwa, Gray gone - Cork, Walters, Taylor, Bardsley, Wood and Legzdins in = 6 in 6 out.

Ulvestad and Anderson it must be admitted are nowhere near ready for the EPL but I think Dan Agyei isn't far off, might be time to give him a proper chance but he is behind Wood, Vokes, Walters and Barnes in the pecking order.

To summarize we are stronger than last year, more experienced and have TEN full internationals to choose from: Heaton, Ward, Defour, Brady, Gudmundsson, Hendrick, Wood, Walters, Kev Long and Arfield.

I'm not having we are short of quality looking at that lot! ;D

I have no problems with the quality of the first 11 + to keep us up.

My problem is the lack of quality as we go down through the numerically-challenged squad.

I don't say "small" or "tiny" squad to avoid the predictable comments.

And its in the vulnerability of the 11+ that I speak of.

In Dyche We Trust
30-08-2017, 06:11 AM
The top teams maintain at least 2 players for each position- thats 24 players but some cant accomodate that unless you have players who can double up- top quality CB and speedy striker is the minimum we need in- and young too as the old guys like Walters struggle to shake off minor injuries-