PDA

View Full Version : BBC’s showing practice matches live on tv

malwayne
28-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Following the games at Yeovil on Friday night and here in Cardiff this afternoon it makes you wonder why these training sessions are being shown on live television. Surely the BBC can do better than pick two predictable results. I know there is still some romance in this competition ,but I see no point in showing these games any longer in the future. I also don’t know about you lot out there but Guardiola’s style of football bores me silly. Effective though it may be, but it does nothing for me ‘except bores the tears out of me. I am not sure if I would like the Clarets to go the same way. I’ll quite happily watch the SD brand on current display.

alfinyalcabo
28-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Millwall v Rochdale would have been far better viewing..Two teams committed to getting through to the next round

chalky_ncfc
28-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Swansea v Notts would be an excellent choice if the replays get televised B)

alfinyalcabo
28-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Swansea v Notts would be an excellent choice if the replays get televised B)

Swansea need to concentrate on their relegation problems Chlaky .. Hope you beat them ..

Altobelli
28-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Following the games at Yeovil on Friday night and here in Cardiff this afternoon it makes you wonder why these training sessions are being shown on live television. Surely the BBC can do better than pick two predictable results. I know there is still some romance in this competition ,but I see no point in showing these games any longer in the future. I also don’t know about you lot out there but Guardiola’s style of football bores me silly. Effective though it may be, but it does nothing for me ‘except bores the tears out of me. I am not sure if I would like the Clarets to go the same way. I’ll quite happily watch the SD brand on current display.

That's exactly what I said on "The Days Other Games" thread the other night :)

Two games in the FA Cup 4th round tonight.

In the best game Sheffield Wednesday 3 Reading 1

In the other, the one the BBC deemed the best one to broadcast finished Yeovil 0 Man Utd 4, perhaps they were hoping for an upset, glad the nutters at the beeb failed, although I would have liked to have seen that myself.

The Bedlington Terrier
28-01-2018, 09:31 PM
Burnley weren't playing. End of interest. :s

Norder
28-01-2018, 09:33 PM

little Yeovil....the Giant Killers - a game specially built for viewers to witness a near impossible win realized - but even with all that crazed hype, it didn't happen...though Yeovil did get a little extra dosh and some minutes of prime time....sadly not the case for the Millwall v Rochdale draw - as couldn't be played up the same...without that big name for the bbc clickbait pluggers to sell seats on.

;D

whittyclaretandblue
28-01-2018, 09:37 PM
The BBC should just cover the games that don't involve a premier league club until that is no longer an option. the games shown this round have not made me want to watch the BBC coverage but as said if Millwall v Rochdale was on I would have watched that.

sinkov
28-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Their coverage of the Cardiff v City game was embarrassing, Sky make them look like what they are, amateurs just playing at it.

1959_60
28-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Did you know that Man Utd's game against Derby in the 3rd round was the only Man Utd cup tie NOT to be shown on live TV since 2005 - a run of 58 games.

Totally agree, there have been a lot of bore-fests amongst that lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/07/man-utds-fa-cup-clash-will-not-televised-12-year-run-comes/

The Bedlington Terrier
29-01-2018, 02:51 AM
Mason's attempt to referee a football match at Cardiff was hugely entertaining though. The bloke is an embarrassment! :s

sinkov
29-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Mason's attempt to referee a football match at Cardiff was hugely entertaining though. The bloke is an embarrassment! :s

It's a scandal this man is still refereeing BT, he's incompetent and dangerous with it. Did you notice City use their quick free kick routine again, they scored against us and but for Sterling cocking it up they'd have scored again here. I've no problem with any ref allowing a quick free kick, but according to the laws they have to be taken from where the offence occurs, and this one was taken 10/12 yards away from where De Bruyne was lying in a heap where he'd been fouled. It was obvious where the kick should have been taken from because of De Bruyne, and Mason was only feet away, to allow that free kick to be taken 10 yards away he was either seriously incompetent, or didn't know the law, and it almost cost Cardiff a goal. He really should never be allowed near a whistle in a serious football match.

Supersub6
29-01-2018, 04:10 PM
It's a scandal this man is still refereeing BT, he's incompetent and dangerous with it. Did you notice City use their quick free kick routine again, they scored against us and but for Sterling cocking it up they'd have scored again here. I've no problem with any ref allowing a quick free kick, but according to the laws they have to be taken from where the offence occurs, and this one was taken 10/12 yards away from where De Bruyne was lying in a heap where he'd been fouled. It was obvious where the kick should have been taken from because of De Bruyne, and Mason was only feet away, to allow that free kick to be taken 10 yards away he was either seriously incompetent, or didn't know the law, and it almost cost Cardiff a goal. He really should never be allowed near a whistle in a serious football match.

Sorry, sinkov, but the directive from above relating to free kicks, throw-in etc says that, in order to avoid delays in the game, it is acceptable for the officials to allow them to be taken within the vicinity of the offence. This has crept into the game more and more in recent seasons and, in all honesty, very few free kicks outside the vicinity of the penalty area are taken in the correct position and don't even get me started on throw-ins!
It would appear that, more and more, the Laws of the Game are meant only as a rough guide and are more and more being left open to a very free interpretation! See things like 'there was contact' -- 'the ball hit his hand' ---'he had a hand on him so he is entitled to go down' ----the mind boggles but it is what the younger end have become accustomed to --and it is they who count because us old fogies are part of the past.
The new game of football at the top level will have no physical contact, everything ruled by VAR and anything else those in the driving seat bring into place.

alfinyalcabo
29-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Not sticking up for them in any way or form,but these refs nowadays have a very tough job, let's not forget they only have a split second to make their decisions unlike the video replay that we watch and criticise them with.. I know they are pretty well paid ,but human error will never be stopped and that's why I have to agree with VAR being installed ... It's very slow at the moment but will eventually run a lot smoother when they have ironed out all the creases.. I certainly wouldn't like to be a ref nowadays ..Would like their wages though..lol

The Bedlington Terrier
29-01-2018, 04:19 PM
How the hell was the Citeh second "goal" disallowed? It was given. It was 2-0 and I put the kettle on. When I got back it was 1-0! How in God's name was the Cardiff left back not sent off for the criminal assault on Sane?

Mason is way beyond a joke!

chalky_ncfc
29-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Swansea v Notts on BBC 1 B)

alfinyalcabo
29-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Swansea v Notts on BBC 1 B)

I will watch that one Chalky..

Supersub6
29-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Easy, the AR flagged that he thought that Sane was offside in front of the keeper and so interfering with the keeper's vision of the incident, therefore, according to TLOG the goal is to be disallowed, therefore, Mason disallowed it.
The foul on Sane looked like a trip from the correct diagonal that the referee was running, therefore, he gave the foul and a yellow card which was the correct decision. It was only on a slow-mo replay from another angle that the tackle was seen as a very bad one. Whether or not the AR could see it better is debatable.
Anyway, thanks BT, because you have now backed up my idea that they should dispense with all the onfield officials and do everything by VAR --that way everyone will be happy and the powers that be will have taken another major step in sterlising the game, particularly when they get to the point, not far off in my opinion, when every bit of contact is a foul one way or another.
If you think that I am wrong about the sterilisation, have a think how many free kicks are now given if two players challenge for a bouncing ball and make contact with each other --it is getting beyond a joke. Rant over!!

chalky_ncfc
29-01-2018, 06:19 PM
I will watch that one Chalky..

I shall give you a wave Alf

Claret_Matelot
30-01-2018, 07:34 AM
My biggest gripe are the number of blatant fouls that take place in the penalty area with no action taken. When I used to referee for Hampshire FA I was known locally as Penalty Dave because I used to work on the principle that if I would have blown for a foul outside the area and that incident occurred inside the area.... It was a penalty. An visa versa from the defending perspective.
Too many referees let blatant fouls go just because they occurred inside the penalty area.

sinkov
30-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Sorry, sinkov, but the directive from above relating to free kicks, throw-in etc says that, in order to avoid delays in the game, it is acceptable for the officials to allow them to be taken within the vicinity of the offence. This has crept into the game more and more in recent seasons and, in all honesty, very few free kicks outside the vicinity of the penalty area are taken in the correct position and don't even get me started on throw-ins!
It would appear that, more and more, the Laws of the Game are meant only as a rough guide and are more and more being left open to a very free interpretation! See things like 'there was contact' -- 'the ball hit his hand' ---'he had a hand on him so he is entitled to go down' ----the mind boggles but it is what the younger end have become accustomed to --and it is they who count because us old fogies are part of the past.
The new game of football at the top level will have no physical contact, everything ruled by VAR and anything else those in the driving seat bring into place.

I've never heard of that one Ss, although I'm certainly not disputing what you say. I've googled it but I can find no reference to it, have you any links that might mention it. To be fair there are a couple of directives I do know exist, but I can't find anything about them either, it's all a but mysterious.

It does lead to the question of what is 'in the vicinity', City took the free kick at least 10 yards away, that was surely pushing the limit of vicinity, and referees still do, for the most part, insist that free kicks and throw ins are taken from at least close to the correct position, which makes the situation even more bizarre.

Supersub6
30-01-2018, 08:42 AM
sinkov--I don't know if there is a written directive, however, I have discussed this with a high official of PGMOL at a recent FA Cup game I was attending with my friend, who was the FA Observer, and I was advised by them both that this is the case and it is so that the game can be speeded up.
I queried 'the vicinity' and was advised that it is the discretion of the referee ----therefore, the referee's decision is final ---unlike the VAR system!

sinkov
30-01-2018, 08:58 AM
If I can get down to the next Clitheroe game early enough I'll ask the ref or liner while they're warming up. At non league games anyway they're always prepared to have a chat with the fans, I suppose it makes a pleasant change for them from being shouted at and abused.

I can remenber quite a few years ago being told by a ref that they had a directive regarding shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. To me the defenders were, and still are, blatantly obstructing forwards attempting to keep the ball in. He said they had been told always to give the benefit of doubt to the defender, I found this bizarre as it was the defenders doing the obstructing. In the ten years or so since I've never seen any reference anywhere to this directive, but I've never seen a defender penalised for even the most blatant cases of obstruction either, not even once. Which tells it's own story.

Supersub6
30-01-2018, 12:48 PM
If I can get down to the next Clitheroe game early enough I'll ask the ref or liner while they're warming up. At non league games anyway they're always prepared to have a chat with the fans, I suppose it makes a pleasant change for them from being shouted at and abused.

I can remenber quite a few years ago being told by a ref that they had a directive regarding shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. To me the defenders were, and still are, blatantly obstructing forwards attempting to keep the ball in. He said they had been told always to give the benefit of doubt to the defender, I found this bizarre as it was the defenders doing the obstructing. In the ten years or so since I've never seen any reference anywhere to this directive, but I've never seen a defender penalised for even the most blatant cases of obstruction either, not even once. Which tells it's own story.

It is all down to interpretation and to the directives issued from above, which generally are not written in tablets of stone. You have to remember that the members of the PGMOL do meet fairly regularly to discuss developments within the game and they are sometimes reacting to directives given to them from higher authority than their own FA. They are in a strange situation in that, if they do not follow the directives, they could find that they will not progress any further.
Remember early in the season when Mike Dean gave a couple of penalties for shenanigans in the box? It has died quite a death since then --why? Do you think it was because the players have taken note or ------is it because there was a discussion about its implications and things relaxed a little?
Your guess is as good as mine!