PDA

View Full Version : Longest Runs By The Millers

frogmiller
22-03-2018, 11:36 AM
What are the longest runs by the Millers and I don't mean away from opposition supporters.

Winning run

losing run

Without scoring a goal

Consecutive games scoring goals

Quickest goal

Other records of runs that we probably should but don't.

mikemiller
22-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Agard goal at Gillingham was probably the quickest that I've seen... no idea if that is the official record though

frogmiller
22-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Was last season the lowest points tally for the three points for a win system?

What was the lowest for the two point system?

Hazza Has A Gazza
22-03-2018, 12:47 PM
I reckon I hold the record for most Millers goals missed at matches due to pi$$ing. Not so much these days, my pre match rituals have changed, but the period between 2000 - 2013 I reckon I must have missed a couple of dozen goals at least.

mikemiller
22-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Was last season the lowest points tally for the three points for a win system?

yes, 23 points

What was the lowest for the two point system?

15 points 1893/4 as Rotherham Town

CAMiller
22-03-2018, 01:53 PM
It's reported that Dexter Blackstock ran 5 yards once but there's no video evidence to support that rumour XD

We must have one of the poorest FA Cup records of all full time professional teams in the past 50 years.

pip_y
22-03-2018, 05:02 PM
It's reported that Dexter Blackstock ran 5 yards once but there's no video evidence to support that rumour XD

We must have one of the poorest FA Cup records of all full time professional teams in the past 50 years.
Don’t think we have ever been beyond 5th round

Pattylallacks2
22-03-2018, 05:05 PM

And we've only got that far about 3 times. As Cam says, probably the worst record in the history of English league football - makes you proud.

CAMiller
22-03-2018, 05:37 PM

Yes - and the last time was 1968 so in the past 50 years we have never won more than 3 FA Cup games in a season and most years it's been 0, sometimes 1 and rarely 2. I'd bet our average is maybe 1 per year and there can't be many or even any clubs done worse than that.

mikemiller
22-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Our FA cup wins to FA cup ties ratio must be one of the worst ever.... and our lack of progress in the competition is made even more embarassing by the fact that we must have started in round three about 30 times

pip_y
22-03-2018, 06:03 PM
So does that mean we have never got to 4th round when starting in the 1st

mikemiller
22-03-2018, 06:12 PM

We have done a few times, but it's a rare event eg 1985/6 started with a Round One 6-0 victory over Wolves (H), then beat Burnley (H) 4-1, then Frickley(A ) 3-1...lost to Arsenal 1-5 at Highbury in Round Four.

wrinkly
22-03-2018, 06:13 PM
And we've only got that far about 3 times. As Cam says, probably the worst record in the history of English league football - makes you proud.
Only got to the 5th round twice

CAMiller
22-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Actually since 68 we have got to the 4th round more times starting in the 1st than we have starting in the 3rd :blue: In the 9 seasons we started in the 3rd we only made the 4th twice but in the other seasons we made it at least 3 times. This coming from a trawl of Wikipedia I just did and my earlier guess of 50 wins in 50 years happened to be spot on. We have won 50 FA Cup games since 1968 but 41 of those came before 1999. I blame those who moved away to the US in that year on the fact we have only won 9 times in the past 19 years XD

Pattylallacks2
22-03-2018, 07:05 PM
I think we have been concentrating on the league

Zilzal
22-03-2018, 10:39 PM
I'll field this or part of it from memory.

Our record run of League games without defeat extends to 18 games in the old Div3. Twas in the mid 1970s.

Most league wins on the bounce? 9. Should've been 10 because just before the ref blew for FT he'd given us a penalty after Ronnie took a dive in the Newcastle box. Towner made a real hash of the pen and the game ended 0-0.

Reached the 5th round of the FA Cup TWICE only. First time v Leicester. Alan Hill brilliantly saved a penalty (he was out best ever signing from Barnsley) and the game ended 1-1. I was there but this footnote made not the slightest difference. Very unlucky in the replay. Their strikers that night were Frank Large and Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke, later of Leeds.

The second time we lost at Crewe of all places.

My worst ever Cup experience was against Northampton who were a division lower at the time. We fluked a 1-1 draw at the County Ground with Branston making a spectacular goal line clearance with 3 seconds to go. The winners of the replay would play Man Utd and the game would be televised. Once again we flunked it when things mattered. We lost 1-2 at Millmoor, we were lifeless and pathetic and the Cobblers pocketed at least 600,000. from the Man U game.

CAMiller
22-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I think we did make the 5th round once before Leicester in 1968 but the Crewe loss you are thinking of Zil was 90-91 and it was in the 4th round. We also lost to them at Millmoor in the same round in 2001-02, the year we beat Southampton in the 3rd round having entered at that stage. The Northampton debacle came the following year in the 3rd round.

wrinkly
23-03-2018, 08:50 AM
I think we did make the 5th round once before Leicester in 1968 but the Crewe loss you are thinking of Zil was 90-91 and it was in the 4th round. We also lost to them at Millmoor in the same round in 2001-02, the year we beat Southampton in the 3rd round having entered at that stage. The Northampton debacle came the following year in the 3rd round.

52/53 was the first time, lost at home to Villa

Pattylallacks2
23-03-2018, 03:53 PM
I'll field this or part of it from memory.

Our record run of League games without defeat extends to 18 games in the old Div3. Twas in the mid 1970s.

Most league wins on the bounce? 9. Should've been 10 because just before the ref blew for FT he'd given us a penalty after Ronnie took a dive in the Newcastle box. Towner made a real hash of the pen and the game ended 0-0.

Reached the 5th round of the FA Cup TWICE only. First time v Leicester. Alan Hill brilliantly saved a penalty (he was out best ever signing from Barnsley) and the game ended 1-1. I was there but this footnote made not the slightest difference. Very unlucky in the replay. Their strikers that night were Frank Large and Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke, later of Leeds.

The second time we lost at Crewe of all places.

My worst ever Cup experience was against Northampton who were a division lower at the time. We fluked a 1-1 draw at the County Ground with Branston making a spectacular goal line clearance with 3 seconds to go. The winners of the replay would play Man Utd and the game would be televised. Once again we flunked it when things mattered. We lost 1-2 at Millmoor, we were lifeless and pathetic and the Cobblers pocketed at least 600,000. from the Man U game.

I attended both matches against Leicester and although Zills is correct in stating that Alan Hill saved a penalty, the ref ruled that he had moved, ordered it to be retaken and this time it was converted.

frogmiller
23-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Someone must know this one! Can we break a record for this season just like we broke one last?

Zilzal
23-03-2018, 04:56 PM
CAM and Wrinkly thanks for putting me right about the 5th round. I didn't know about the loss to Villa in the early 50s and the Crewe confusion was probably brought about because I must've been thinking we'd been denied a place in the 5th round by crummy little Crewe of all teams!

I call Crewe 'crummy' because in the days when teams had to apply for re-election Crewe held the record for most applications. The smart would have been on Hartlepool I suppose but no, it was the Crumsters also known as the Railwaymen.

PATTY, true enough. Though Alan made a great attempt to save the second (unjust) penalty and very nearly made it.

mikemiller
23-03-2018, 05:06 PM
I attended both matches against Leicester and although Zills is correct in stating that Alan Hill saved a penalty, the ref ruled that he had moved, ordered it to be retaken and this time it was converted.

Game at Millmoor is on Youtube. I don't know how to put link on to it - tried, but it wouldn't work

Hazza Has A Gazza
23-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Never really thought much about how horrific our FA cup record is, but it really is! Drawing us in the FA cup is almost as good as receiving a wildcard to the next round for our opponents 😖
When we do make it to the 3rd round or start in the 3rd round we always seem to get crap ties anyway. Think the last time we got a dream tie was Liverpool away, nearly 20 years ago now.
NYS is yet to host a truly big club and with this record it will be some time yet before it does 😥

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-03-2018, 07:07 PM
The unofficial longest Millers run was by Guy Branston. Ronnie Moore told him to go on a long fitness run but forgot to tell him to turn around at halfway. It was the cliffs at Flamborough that brought an end to the run.

Archiemiller
23-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Someone must know this one! Can we break a record for this season just like we broke one last?

Think that went down pan frog when we lost 0-1 to Rochdale tother week.

frogmiller
24-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Think that went down pan frog when we lost 0-1 to Rochdale tother week.

True Archie. Rochdale!! I'd erased that game out of my memory. I Hate them more now :mad:

Nardendee
25-03-2018, 01:14 AM
I think we went 17 games without losing in 1971. I remember being at Bury when we lost it....2-1

Nardendee
25-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Also remember the 9 straight wins in 1981/82 which propelled us from the relegation zone to the edge of Promotion. RIP Emlyn. A real legend.

Pattylallacks2
25-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Also remember the 9 straight wins in 1981/82 which propelled us from the relegation zone to the edge of Promotion. RIP Emlyn. A real legend.

That's true. Emlyn was so popular they named a transmitting station after him.

Nardendee
25-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Before he joined us I remember being on the Kop when he went back to Anfield with Wolves. The whole ground rose as one to salute him.

Very emotional tribute to a great player.