PDA

View Full Version : Charlton Athletic Post Match Thoughts

CAMiller
02-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Dear oh dear. Are we all going to have to bow down to Zilzal's prediction? Would we have been better to be snowed off?

Thoughts on yet another disappointing result?

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
02-04-2018, 04:14 PM
It's looking like we're not good enough...

One thing we'll finish with good form going into the playoffs or we won't get into them.

Grist_To_The_Mill
02-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Very Britney Spears

Oops we did it again

Let in three with no plan B

millertop
02-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Back to drawing board

gm_gm
02-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Third highest scorers in the league, but shipping goals.

We will finish in the playoffs but if we go up, we need to rethink how we defend otherwise we will be chasing new records for all the wrong reasons.

flourbasher
02-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Three wingers in Forde, Williams and Newell in a 5 man midfield probably wasn't the best choice

jocksgloves
02-04-2018, 04:23 PM
We are now very catchable. Plymouth 6 points behind, game in hand and us to play at home. How big will that game be? I suppose the late consolation goal prevented it being an official hammering.

mellowmiller
02-04-2018, 04:25 PM
4 points from the last 18. It's not looking good folks and we definitely need to beat a rapidly improving Fleetwood on Saturday now.
I wonder which Millers team will turn up?

Lolmorgan
02-04-2018, 04:26 PM
We are now down to the nitty gritty time of the season & again enough chance to get something out of this game.We need a goal scorer,you can get out played, ask posh but with a goal scorer you always have a chance.If it ends up we go out of the play offs then so be it still a better season than I thought we would have.

Yak
02-04-2018, 04:26 PM
We are a young side and will have peaks and then a dip.
Warne is learning and weíre not ready to go up.
Today was about mistakes and game management.
Over the 90 mins we ranged from poor to good that sums up our season.
Think we will still get play offs but wonít go up.

Still will be a decent season though.

kentmillerman
02-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Top post Yak.

Grist_To_The_Mill
02-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Three wingers in Forde, Williams and Newell in a 5 man midfield probably wasn't the best choice

Correct, they havenít got a tackle between the three of them.

Maybe ok going forward but defensively poor.

Defensive coach anyone?

welovebooth
02-04-2018, 04:56 PM
If we don't get into the final at least

Surely Warne only has 25 games next season to save his job

kentmillerman
02-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Warne is here for a long time WLB

hotun
02-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Very quiet on coach after a dismal display stop trying to be the smart coach Warney keep it simple and stop messing with the team but itís still in our own hands

Grist_To_The_Mill
02-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Don’t think so, Tony Stewart won’t want to go through the process of finding a new manager, and he certainly won’t want to fund a bigger name manager.

Anyway there’s nothing wrong with Warne, he just needs better coaches to support him, particularly a defensive coach. The vast majority of the goals we’ve let in this season have been down to bad positioning and basic schoolboy errors. You can count on the fingers of an Arab shoplifters hand the number of goals we’ve let in from good moves by our opponents.

mikemiller
02-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Been to the game (Saw "Bring back Sedgy" in the away end)

We hit the bar and then Vaulks blasted over a good chance in the first few minutes. We always seem to hit the woodwork at the River Thames End at the Valley in just about any game... but rarely win.

Wrong team selection, as Williams and Smith did not make a good combination up front. Palmer looked far too lightweight throughout.

Needless error for Charlton's first goal, as Emmanuel headed the ball into the path of Zyro, who despite being marked by two Millers defenders, made no mistake. Emmanuel played quite well after that, but the damage had been done. Second Charlton goal was a header from the unmarked Aribo. Any free kick or corner that we had merely gave possession to the opposition and led to them creating a goalscoring chance, not us. That has been going on for weeks. Almost all our crosses were either too wild, or straight to the Charlton keeper.

Warney waited too long to put the subs on (Lavery not introduced until 83 minutes). When we finally tried to push up, Charlton broke away and scored a third. We suddenly started playing with some urgency at the end and Wood got a consolation goal.

Couldn't blame Rodak for the goals conceded, and Purrington, despite the long absence did ok. Good Millers following, but we were not given much to cheer about

Lolmorgan
02-04-2018, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=welovebooth;38845439]If we don't get into the final at least

Surely Warne only has 25 games next season to save his job[/QUOTE horrible to say but I do hope we don't go up,we are not good enough for the championship but warne will not get the sack.With this team for now & the lack of spending power we would be about as good as the last season in the championship.And as a Millers fan I would rather us stop where we are for now rather than go through a season like that again.

flourbasher
02-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Am I really reading that some fans are questioning PW's position as Manager of RUFC?

Maybe I've misinterpreted some comments. I must have. Surely people can't be that fickle

Pattylallacks2
02-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Wanna bet?

mellowmiller
02-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Am I really reading that some fans are questioning PW's position as Manager of RUFC?

Maybe I've misinterpreted some comments. I must have. Surely people can't be that fickle

Only one fan is doing that, and he's rather predictable.

rolymiller
02-04-2018, 05:54 PM
You can count on the fingers of an Arab shoplifters hand the number of goals we’ve let in from good moves by our opponents.

You make a reasonable post Grist then you put this? Why? There are much better and accurate analogies you could use and you know it but choose not to for some strange reason.Then you object to people calling you racist....

Pattylallacks2
02-04-2018, 05:58 PM
I'm sure he doesn't object really

ragingpup
02-04-2018, 05:59 PM
After a positive start I felt that we got out played for long periods of the game, they did what other teams have recently done, packed us out in midfield and had nippy outlets down the wings that stretched us all the way through. It felt to me that we were slowly being strangled, always kept at easy reach and looking vulnerable throughout. Very different to only a few weeks ago. Towell was a big miss. I like Williams but was well out of depth up front and am completely frustrated by Newell. We know he can be brilliant but for so long he has been consistently poor, every cross down the keepers throats or out of play. Just poor form at a crucial part of the season.

Were not a bad team at all, deserve our place in the top 8 and I'd be happy with that. But other teams around us hitting form now and if we get in the play offs I'd see us as outsiders really. But we've some good players and anything could happen. Been a good ride this season and after last, I'm grateful for that!

flourbasher
02-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Didn't i read that Potter is now back and available for selection?
Back to 4-4-2 but with new formation in midfield with him doing the Halford role.
Certainly less than 3 wingers in the 4 or 5 man midfield as they are a luxury

rolymiller
02-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Fatty Stevie said last week that we didnt have as good as team as he had when he took us up. He was right. Oh for a Morgan. Frecks, or Arnason. And yet we have achieved better than most would have thought this season even if we do dip out now, 3 or 4 astute signings next year and there is no reason why we cant be challenging again under Warney.

dmentor
02-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Donít think so, Tony Stewart wonít want to go through the process of finding a new manager, and he certainly wonít want to fund a bigger name manager.

Anyway thereís nothing wrong with Warne, he just needs better coaches to support him, particularly a defensive coach. The vast majority of the goals weíve let in this season have been down to bad positioning and basic schoolboy errors. You can count on the fingers of an Arab shoplifters hand the number of goals weíve let in from good moves by our opponents.

Its not a defensive coach we need,a defence is what we want.

flourbasher
02-04-2018, 06:19 PM
The rotund one also said his current P'boro side are considerably better than the one he got promoted from Div One.
That's just plain daft.
Even Marriott isn't better than Dicko

dmentor
02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
With all the talk,about Joe Newell this and Joe Newell that,for me when he starts games he is a passenger for most of it,and if he makes a bad start,then that's him done for the entire game,im sure there is better out there than him.

rolymiller
02-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Think peterboro are the one team we could beat in the play offs if we got there. The others are now looking pretty scary. Think we could beat them or Shrews/ Scunny over 2 legs but I would doubt we could beat Charlton, Plymouth or Portsmouth

Timbertop
02-04-2018, 06:32 PM
If,by the skin of our teeth, (and without Towell and Mattock,possibly for the rest of the season,i can't see where any win will come from) we make the play-offs everyone will want to play Rotherham !

mikemiller
02-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Think peterboro are the one team we could beat in the play offs if we got there. The others are now looking pretty scary. Think we could beat them or Shrews/ Scunny over 2 legs but I would doubt we could beat Charlton, Plymouth or Portsmouth

If Warney tries to incorporate three wingers into the team again, we probably won't beat anybody. Also - might have been an opportunity to try out Wiles as a sub today for Palmer, who was very ineffective.

Timbertop
02-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Mates agreed about Palmer, Mike. Along with Newell (again) and one or two others he vanished from the game. Typical of his appearances for Burton we were told when he signed. Maybe he's something of a "homer" (couldn't knock his performance against Peterborough for example). Not Towell's biggest fan but we don't have a replacement and he'll be sorely missed. Could Wiles step up to the plate ?

flourbasher
02-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Palmer is a bit lightweight so he needs players around him to help out otherwise he gets out muscled.
We need the right players in midfield and then we can compete as a unit. Obviously Towell was seriously missed today

mikemiller
02-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Yes, a pity about Towell being out injured - we missed him in the "engine room". I still don't really understand why Lavery didn't come on as sub until so late , especially as he'd scored in our previous match, and Ball not at all. Strange decisions...

kevthemaltbymiller
02-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Mates agreed about Palmer, Mike. Along with Newell (again) and one or two others he vanished from the game. Typical of his appearances for Burton we were told when he signed. Maybe he's something of a "homer" (couldn't knock his performance against Peterborough for example). Not Towell's biggest fan but we don't have a replacement and he'll be sorely missed. Could Wiles step up to the plate ?

In Warne's post match interview he said he expects Towell to be OK for the weekend.

Acido
02-04-2018, 07:38 PM
You might all know more about Charlton better than me, but what was Karl Robinson doing wrong there for them to part company with him recently ?. (and I noticed they didnt call it the 'sack' did they)
And what a result that was, when Portsmouth beat Wigan in todays later game. Its better news for the top two but not as good for the other teams who are chasing Rotherham.

fc_miller
02-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Poor defending again, vaulks caught on the ball for the first goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5SoS1rmFo&sns=sms

Archiemiller
02-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Just read all 37 posts and must agree with most, my take on it is cant see us winning any of our 3 remaining away games so to reach the play-offs we must win our 3 remaining home games (Fleetwood,Bristol Rovers, Blackpool) and if we cant beat them 3 then we dont deserve to be in play-offs. The present team IMO are no where near good enough for the Championship

Donmiller
03-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Yesterday was very, very poor. The entirety of the defense was shocking, Purrington particularly- at least now we all know why he never gets chosen a complete waste of money.

Palmer had a poor game too, it's a shame because he's been one of the better players recently but he just seem to be a bit soft on the ball. Needs to be stronger.

As already mentioned, why he didn't bring a striker on until 5-10 minutes after we scored our goal was mind boggling. Changes should've been made at half time. Warne needs to have the balls to make changes when needed at half time rather than giving the players 10 minutes in the second half to sort things out.

The players have completely lost the plot recently, I think they think play offs are guaranteed and they can take their foot off the pedal a bit when they can't, but Warne's tactics certainly didn't help. We are best playing quick attacking football, so why go with one up front? The best form of defense is attack, and we are no good at playing the defensive game its been proven time and time again. I nearly didn't bother going because of the snow, I bloody well wish I didn't now XD

Father in law said Sky Sports said the score didn't reflect the performance and that it was a close game? I don't know where he was watching from but it definitely wasn't close. They could've easily had 5 or 6 if they pressed a bit more instead of their time wasting.

However, I don't think its anything too worrying i.e we have completely lost the ability to play footballI think it's more the players have got their flip flops on already and have their eye on the beach in Dubai

Need a big kick up the backside which it sounds like it happened yesterday, and the realization that the play off places aren't guaranteed yet

I think the game could be a blessing in disguise, the hammering we got should be a huge wake up call and now we can get our heads back in the game and start playing like the high-tempo attacking Rotherham team that they were after Christmas

MillerBill
03-04-2018, 10:40 AM
A disappointing result and performance but I am certainly not writing off our chances of winning the points we need.Hopefully Potter can get some match practice in the reserves today and Towell is also likely to be fit for Saturday.I would play both these two with Palmer just in front,put Vaulks back to central defence and why not play Taylor up front with Smith.Whilst Ball has a lot of skill he lacks pace as does Lavery,these two are alright bringing on when we are on top of a game.Tylor would cause problems down that central role.

caytonmiller
03-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Yesterday was very, very poor. The entirety of the defense was shocking, Purrington particularly- at least now we all know why he never gets chosen a complete waste of money.

Palmer had a poor game too, it's a shame because he's been one of the better players recently but he just seem to be a bit soft on the ball. Needs to be stronger.

As already mentioned, why he didn't bring a striker on until 5-10 minutes after we scored our goal was mind boggling. Changes should've been made at half time. Warne needs to have the balls to make changes when needed at half time rather than giving the players 10 minutes in the second half to sort things out.

The players have completely lost the plot recently, I think they think play offs are guaranteed and they can take their foot off the pedal a bit when they can't, but Warne's tactics certainly didn't help. We are best playing quick attacking football, so why go with one up front? The best form of defense is attack, and we are no good at playing the defensive game its been proven time and time again. I nearly didn't bother going because of the snow, I bloody well wish I didn't now XD

Father in law said Sky Sports said the score didn't reflect the performance and that it was a close game? I don't know where he was watching from but it definitely wasn't close. They could've easily had 5 or 6 if they pressed a bit more instead of their time wasting.

However, I don't think its anything too worrying i.e we have completely lost the ability to play footballI think it's more the players have got their flip flops on already and have their eye on the beach in Dubai

Need a big kick up the backside which it sounds like it happened yesterday, and the realization that the play off places aren't guaranteed yet

I think the game could be a blessing in disguise, the hammering we got should be a huge wake up call and now we can get our heads back in the game and start playing like the high-tempo attacking Rotherham team that they were after Christmas

Didn't get to this one so can't comment on personal performance. According to I follow Comms, purrington was the best millers player on the pitch..
Brecks agreed. Warne said in his interview he though Ben had a good 70 min then faded.

Agree with you regarding subs and formation/tactics...

As soon as we go 2 down it should have been ball and lavery on. For wood and one from Williams,forde,newell...

hillsborough miller
03-04-2018, 12:01 PM
with the benefit of hind sight warne picked the wrong formation and he needs to kepp the back four as vaulks and ajayi although with vaulks in defense he hasnt been going up for corners so we lose the option of his shooting

but onwards and upwards still cant understand gwru aka t71 dislike of palmer

4 4 2 or 3 4 3 for saturday

Donmiller
03-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Didn't get to this one so can't comment on personal performance. According to I follow Comms, purrington was the best millers player on the pitch..
Brecks agreed. Warne said in his interview he though Ben had a good 70 min then faded.

Agree with you regarding subs and formation/tactics...

As soon as we go 2 down it should have been ball and lavery on. For wood and one from Williams,forde,newell...

Funny how everyone can have different opinions on someone isn't it

I thought he was very very slow, the titanic turned quicker. You could also tell we were lacking a spark in his position from where Mattock likes to get forward.

To be fair to him he might've been better if the whole team wasn't having an off day, if a defender makes a mistake off the back of a midfielders mistake its more noticeable as you are the last line of defence (not including the keeper) I just thought he was very slow and looked a bit lost sometimes and I am yet to witness a convincing performance off him

millertop
03-04-2018, 02:15 PM
I’ll say it again ‘ Wood needs to work with the defenders’

Fetch JCH/Dom Ball back as well

rolymiller
03-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Agree about Wood Millertop. He is a ready made defensive coach and won't play much, hopefully, next year. Not convinced about Dom Ball and JCH is at the end of his contract so he can sign for who he wants even if we want him back,

millertop
03-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Agree about Wood Millertop. He is a ready made defensive coach and won't play much, hopefully, next year. Not convinced about Dom Ball and JCH is at the end of his contract so he can sign for who he wants even if we want him back,

I was joking about JCH and Ball (winding Mellow up ;) & Gwru who is banned apparently) think Warney has moved on from them so Iíll do same whether I agree or not

kentmillerman
03-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Bring back Dom Ball. >:) Kidding.

mellowmiller
03-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Bring back JCH, he's banging them in in League 2. Oh......😉