PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Rovers Post Match Thoughts

CAMiller
21-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Another job well done. A number of things sorted out today, we are in the playoffs, we can't finish 3rd and it's unlikely we'll finish 5th or 6th so at least we'll be at NYS for the 2nd leg. Perm any 1 from 6 as to who we'll be playing.

Thoughts on today?

Silly-miller
21-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Great goal by smith well impressed with that shot

mikemiller
21-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Been at the match. We deserved to win, although the game was a bit scrappy at times. I think that Rodak only had one proper save to make as the shooting from Rovers was mainly wayward. The BBC match stats are a bit misleading as Rovers may have passed the ball around in their own half ok, but looked less dangerous than the Millers going beyond that.

Great goal from Smith - watch it on the highlights later if you were not at the NYS today. In fact, great 90 minutes from Smith - and he was rightly awarded "Man of the Match". Newell didn't look 100% fit, but showed his worth near the end, with an inch-perfect cross for Lavery to run in at the near post and score. We could have scored more, as Williams came on as sub and missed a good chance, then mis-hit a simple pass that would have given Newell an almost certain goal.

If Smith can play like today for the rest of the season though , anything is possible!

gm_gm
21-04-2018, 04:40 PM
BR were a really good side, ref allowed them to get away with a few questionable challenges.

They had more possession and more shots, but we had more quality.

The lads are becoming fans favourites as their attitude is something else, to a man they don’t give up

CAMiller
21-04-2018, 04:49 PM
BR were a really good side, ref allowed them to get away with a few questionable challenges.

They had more possession and more shots, but we had more quality.

The lads are becoming fans favourites as their attitude is something else, to a man they don’t give up

Looking again, we actually eliminated them from playoff contention today so they can't be a bad side.

daveeed
21-04-2018, 05:07 PM
We played well again today with some lovely football, but being picky we do have a lot of missed passes in our game and a tendendency to take our foot off the gas and so we did need that second goal, BR were closing in on an equaliser. We are not putting teams away at the mo. IT must have been very hot out there but I think we have to keep up the high tempo play.
However lots of positives and we are in the playoffs , woo hoo . Thought SMith deserved mom for the goal and his all round effort, Michael Ihiekwe was immense and won everything , Ajayi will have a job on dislodging him, but what a good cameo from Semi in midfield , won headers as you would expect but also his speed at closing down was brilliant, and he can play. As someone said the closing down from everyone was superb , started by Taylor and carried on by Smith leading to his superb goal.
In the play offs ! Well done to them all

jocksgloves
21-04-2018, 05:09 PM
I thought we were poor. Missed passes, bad decisions and nigly fouls. I'm guessing Rovers will be gutted at not having at least a point.
Two plusses, we dominated in the air, and we finished two of the very few chances we had. Thought Vaulks was lucky to stop on.

mellowmiller
21-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Job done today and we can't ask for any more than that.
Very warm conditions today and I thought a few of our players looked a bit leggy.
Vaulks was blowing out of his backside after 70 minutes and that's not like him.

frogmiller
21-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Job done today and we can't ask for any more than that.
Very warm conditions today and I thought a few of our players looked a bit leggy.
Vaulks was blowing out of his backside after 70 minutes and that's not like him.

There was something certainly a miss with Vaulks today. Was he tasked with ma marking their 8 today?

frogmiller
21-04-2018, 05:22 PM
I thought we were poor. Missed passes, bad decisions and nigly fouls. I'm guessing Rovers will be gutted at not having at least a point.
Two plusses, we dominated in the air, and we finished two of the very few chances we had. Thought Vaulks was lucky to stop on.

Jocks I don't know what incident you're refering to with Vaulks for him to be lucky. I thought he should have had a yellow for one of his challenges but nothing more.

I do think that they are lucky not to be down to 9 men with two fouls where both their players led with their arm. The worst was on Wood but the ref didn't see it at all where he was elboed and the second was where Palmer was taken out by their 8 who jumped and lead with his arm..

millertop
21-04-2018, 05:24 PM
What a goal by Smith but Taylor gets my MOTM he never gave their number 26 a minute XD
Vaulks should have been subbed imo just to calm him down
Not the best of games but 3 points, playoffs secured
**** Ref nowt new

The Mighty.

caytonmiller
21-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Palmer had a egg over his right eye..
on another day Bristol could have finished with 9 men

millertop
Palmer had a egg over his right eye one another day Bristol could have finished with 9 men..

I thought Ref forgot his cards, useless

Grist_To_The_Mill
The guy lucky to stop on was the one Vaulks fouled, he kicked out at Vaulks but the ref didn’t see it.

I thought that today our passing lacked precision and having only Smith up front we had limited options for a forward pass.

As recently we “won ugly” again.

frogmiller
21-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Palmer had a egg over his right eye..
on another day Bristol could have finished with 9 men

Aweful foul on Palmer which he only got booked for so the EFL can't look at it again. The one on Wood was incredibly plain to see.

frogmiller
21-04-2018, 05:30 PM
The guy lucky to stop on was the one Vaulks fouled, he kicked out at Vaulks but the ref didn’t see it.

I thought that today our passing lacked precision and having only Smith up front we had limited options for a forward pass.

As recently we “won ugly” again.

Their 25 also kicked out at Smith int first half and the ref just had a quiet word.

Grist_To_The_Mill
21-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Yes the Bristol player lead with his elbow, the ref missed more than one of those though

millertop
21-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Aweful foul on Palmer which he only got booked for so the EFL can't look at it again. The one on Wood was incredibly plain to see.

Didn’t get booked for foul on Palmer, it was on Wood

millertop
21-04-2018, 05:41 PM
It was the Ref who upset Ferguson which led to his ‘shoot them’ comment XD

I wanted to go and get his red card and send the useless git off

Geetarman
21-04-2018, 06:11 PM
A very important lesson must be remembered from a previous play-off encounter.

DON'T LET ANDY ROSCOE TAKE A PENALTY

mikemiller
21-04-2018, 06:23 PM
I mentioned earlier that it was sometimes scrappy, and that was because a fair amount of the game was a midfield dogfight. Even Wood got flattened twice near the halfway line. Vaulks and Palmer were not at their best, probably due to the rough stuff which often went unpunished by the ref, and Towell received a kick that led to him going off the field (Hopefully nothing too serious). Smith seemed to relish the physical battle though, and Rovers couldn't grapple the three points from the Millers.

Grist_To_The_Mill
21-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Comedy moment of match was when that ginger minger substitute had a Peter Kay moment and launched the ball out of the ground even though it was already 3 foot over the touch line........’av it !!

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
21-04-2018, 07:26 PM
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/11341696/rotherham-2-0-bristol-rovers

The highlights are up if anyone wants to watch that fantastic Smith goal again. Not the best of games but a good enough performance. it was warm and I like to see Refs letting things go but he took the piss.
The icing on the cake finishing in the playoffs of a great season.

UTM!

Nardendee
21-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Managers like the one at Bristol Rovers really annoyed me. No credit at all. He said our first goal was bad defensively:
Smith won the ball on the half way line and still had loads to do but his run and finish was outstanding.

Then there’s the alleged comment from the Charlton Manager. “ no one will beat us over 2 legs”

mygiddypant
21-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Bit harsh Jock. No - very harsh.

There was a period in the first half when we were excellent. Third game in a week took its toll. There was plenty to be pleased with.

Grist_To_The_Mill
21-04-2018, 08:28 PM

There was a period in the first half when we were excellent. Third game in a week took its toll. There was plenty to be pleased with.

Yes, and as old Brucie used to say “let’s see the scores on the doors”

great_fire
21-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Yes the middle bit.

But they had 60% possession in the first half.

flourbasher
22-04-2018, 07:46 AM
Meanwhile a few weeks back after Charlton.......

....Smith is rubbish. Can't control the ball. We have no natural goalscorers.....this after arguably the most spectacular goal of the season and a MoM performance. Yet again he ran the opposition ragged

.....We won't make the playoffs. This after being unbeaten for a third of the season and then a couple of dodgy results

The best one was.......we won't win another match. See above comments

I know one or two were on an angling trip but there were a few fans who made these comments in all seriousness.

Who was the bloke who said he'd had enough around last November and said wasn't going again.

Thank god PW, TS and the Players don't give up that easily eh.....

millertop
22-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Meanwhile a few weeks back after Charlton.......

....Smith is rubbish. Can't control the ball. We have no natural goalscorers.....this after arguably the most spectacular goal of the season and a MoM performance. Yet again he ran the opposition ragged

.....We won't make the playoffs. This after being unbeaten for a third of the season and then a couple of dodgy results

The best one was.......we won't win another match. See above comments

I know one or two were on an angling trip but there were a few fans who made these comments in all seriousness.

Who was the bloke who said he'd had enough around last November and said wasn't going again.

Thank god PW, TS and the Players don't give up that easily eh.....

Some comment on the game so they were fair comments, just because Smith scored a stunner doesn’t mean he’s Ronaldo ;)

harpo88
22-04-2018, 10:08 AM
It was my first home game this season, having been to about 10 down south ish. Lovely day with good weather seeing family, good beer in the New York Tavern as ever and some Rovers supporting mates were up who enjoyed their day too and just recovering from a night out at the Leadmill in Sheffield.

I was really impressed with the team. We played like a team, and yes not everything was perfect but we’re a League One side! I like Smith more every time I see him, and today he actually charged over the pitch to contest a header very Revell-like. He does still need to get in the box quicker after he lays off for a cross though.

Otherwise I thought Emmanuel was cracking today, I can’t remember him putting a foot wrong and the Rovers fans were very impressed with him.

Rovers had no cutting edge, but we looked far more of a threat each time we started an attack I think. We slacked off at start of the second half and it was good timing for the first sub, and then the ten minutes before the second goal ws a bit manic but fun.

Biggest thing is I’m much happier without Ajayi at centre back...loads of promise but just can’t trust him at this stage of the season.

jocksgloves
22-04-2018, 10:15 AM
OK, a day later, i was harsh. I get that the game was a bit of a dead rubber, and the weather was not conducive to flowing football. I just think we can play a lot better.
We kicked the ball out from our blinking kick off, and didn't get the ball back for ten minutes, when an horrendous error by the Rovers back let Smith in, albeit a great finish.
The second goal put a gloss on the scoreline that I felt was slightly misleading.
I'm still delighted we won.