PDA

View Full Version : It's the hope that kills you.............

lancyclaret
01-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Does anyone else like me just wish Burnley (Garlick or Dyche) would put us out of our misery by saying: "Unfortunately, due to the transfer market, there is very little chance of us bringing in any reinforcements before the deadline."

That way it would stop us searching different websites, Twitter and other social media outlets in the vain hope we are linked with anyone.

If they did say "no new players likely", it would be a pleasant surprise if we did manage to get one or two in.

As each day has gone by this summer without any positive news, I have felt more and more despondent about our chances. The most positive I felt was when I saw on Ceefax that we'd offered 25 million for JR and CD. I thought "that's a start but they'll want a lot more than that. If we want a quick deal, offer them 35 million and I am confident they'd take it."

35 million and we probably would have had them before pre-season training began.

Supersub6
01-08-2018, 01:32 PM
lancy --if I was the worrying type it would worry me that you are worrying about the incomings and outgoings of a football team.
Perhaps it is because I am in my 70s that I am able just to sit back and never worry about what happens at the Turf. Since I first went on with my dad in 1952, when we lost 0-1 to Middlesbrough, I have supported the club and watched with interest all the comings and goings at all levels from the Chairman, the Board, the Managers, the players and the backroom staff.
I am lucky that I am able to watch and have never worried, except perhaps in May 1987 when I will admit to being worried.
It is a game of football in a footballing world that has changed so much in the last 66 years, particualrly so in the last 10 years, and there is no way that things are any easier because of the money going into our bank, in fact, I think that it has got a lot harder.
There is no easy answer unless you can adopt a mindset of que sera sera and just accept whatever transpires because there is no way that you can influence it, therefore, no point worrying about it.

lancyclaret
01-08-2018, 01:57 PM
lancy --if I was the worrying type it would worry me that you are worrying about the incomings and outgoings of a football team.
Perhaps it is because I am in my 70s that I am able just to sit back and never worry about what happens at the Turf. Since I first went on with my dad in 1952, when we lost 0-1 to Middlesbrough, I have supported the club and watched with interest all the comings and goings at all levels from the Chairman, the Board, the Managers, the players and the backroom staff.
I am lucky that I am able to watch and have never worried, except perhaps in May 1987 when I will admit to being worried.
It is a game of football in a footballing world that has changed so much in the last 66 years, particualrly so in the last 10 years, and there is no way that things are any easier because of the money going into our bank, in fact, I think that it has got a lot harder.
There is no easy answer unless you can adopt a mindset of que sera sera and just accept whatever transpires because there is no way that you can influence it, therefore, no point worrying about it.

I admire your stoicism and laid-back attitude....I wish I was the same but Burnley have given me equal pleasure and pain since I first saw them lose 3-1 at Everton in November 1962. My Liverpool-supporting father took me to Goodison. I was 8-years-old and I liked Burnley's colours.

Living in Birmingham after 1966, Burnley were on the slide when I was old enough to go myself (an 8-1 thrashing at The Hawthorns with my Albion fan school-mates in the late 60s followed by relegation in 1971). Three or four good years (72-76) and then mainly struggles until promotion in 2001.

I have been philosophical when Burnley have been "skint" (as recently as 2013/14) but it annoys me when the board err too much on the side of caution....30 million profit in 2016/17 and a projected 58 million profit for 2017/18. If we want to keep up with the Brightons, Huddersfields and Fulhams.......

Altobelli
01-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Garlick should put in to play the Character of Scrooge at a Christmas panto.

Supersub6
01-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Good post lancy and, like me, you have seen things from afar which has definitely helped my views, having not lived nearer than 100 miles form the Turf since 1966 when I joined the RAF which helps me to stay out of the local negative vibes!

You say "If we want to keep up with the Brightons, Huddersfields and Fulhams........." Fair enough, however, spend a lot and keep up with the Sunderlands, Leeds, Portsmouths, Blackburns, Charltons, Coverntrys and several more.............

lancyclaret
01-08-2018, 02:18 PM
I wish our board were more ambitious and took a calculated risk or two. Maybe one day soon outside investment may be a good thing.

I will be interested to see how Wolves (backed by the Chinese Fosun) fare in the next season or two. Wolves are a "bigger" team than Burnley but not by that much. We stopped them getting a title hat-trick in 1960.

Supersub6
01-08-2018, 02:25 PM
We shall see, they have certainly got more financial clout than we have.
1960 at Maine Road was an incredible atmosphere with Clarets, Man City and a fair amount of Wolves fans all crammed in and watching Trevor Meredith win the game for us ----what a night!

barrie_burn
01-08-2018, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Supersub6;38963288]lancy --if I was the worrying type it would worry me that you are worrying about the incomings and outgoings of a football team.
There is no easy answer unless you can adopt a mindset of que sera sera and just accept whatever transpires because there is no way that you can influence it, therefore, no point worrying about it.[/[/I]

I went with my Dad & Uncle.First game must have been 54/55.We lost 1-0 to Newcastle when Milburn was the scorer.
Football goes in cycles so just enjoy the ride.I just hope that eventually we can get back to the football and not be totally dominated by money.If that remains the case eventually we will never be able to compete with Manchester and the big London Clubs.Keep our powder dry and hope that we can bring some young players through,that would be nice.

The Bedlington Terrier
01-08-2018, 02:39 PM
We shall see, they have certainly got more financial clout than we have.
1960 at Maine Road was an incredible atmosphere with Clarets, Man City and a fair amount of Wolves fans all crammed in and watching Trevor Meredith win the game for us ----what a night!

I have read SD's comments with real interest. He realises the market is tough, not once has he mentioned the Chairman is not backing him. Baldwin is having kittens trying to get players over the line.

Seems to me it's a microcosm of life, the harder you try the worse it gets. If they just keep battling they will get there.

oldcolner
02-08-2018, 07:50 AM
I remember the old days too, with 50000 in the Turf albeit rarely, 40000 quite often, and regularly 25-35000. There was handkerchief waving most games as folk needed ambulances, stretchers and quite often dying with the excitement literally!!
Hope shouldn’t kill though. Frustration might!

The Bedlington Terrier
02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
I also remember going on the Turf with just over a couple of thousand on and being perilously close to folding. Why don't we just spend all of our money like John Bond did and play Clitheroe in a couple of seasons. At least sinkov would then be happy! :s

sinkov
02-08-2018, 09:20 AM
I also remember going on the Turf with just over a couple of thousand on and being perilously close to folding. Why don't we just spend all of our money like John Bond did and play Clitheroe in a couple of seasons. At least sinkov would then be happy! :s

No need to throw money at it BT, I see lots of our lads down Shawbridge as it is, thanks to the Gawthorpe Black Hole. In they go down Gawthorpe and Evostik level is where they come out at the other end.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Can't be easy running an EPL outfit on a relative pittance can it? Fair play to SD though, he gives it a good go!

oldcolner
02-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Sinkov
Sounds to be a sticky end!