PDA

View Full Version : Southampton v Burnley

oldcolner
07-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Somebody wants to watch us if TV doesnít.

Amazingly the game against Burnley on Sunday could be sold out in the home areas with only a thousand or so still available.

Saints fans planning on attending the first game of the season against Burnley on Sunday who haven't yet got their tickets might be advised to do so quickly, a quick scan of the club's online ticketing system reveals that although there are still tickets in all areas available, most of them are at the rear of the stand with only a few areas with more than single tickets lower down.

Given the amount of apathy shown by some on social media this is good to see, many Saints supporters seem willing to put the near past where it belongs and firmly behind us and give Mark Hughes and his team an opportunity to show that they can make this a decent entertaining season.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I know you are going down to Southampton OC. A friendly word of caution, some of the Saints fans are not very saintly at all. Caution advised! :s

oldcolner
07-08-2018, 03:38 PM
I know you are going down to Southampton OC. A friendly word of caution, some of the Saints fans are not very saintly at all. Caution advised! :s

Thanks BT our friends support them so will get the lowdown.
I’m more worried my wife can’t see cos our lot stand in front of her. Maybe there will be free seats to move too.
Think we will try to come to the Turf for Chelsea game after your kind intervention last season.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Great! Perhaps we can meet up for a meal and/or a pint?

oldcolner
07-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Thanks that would be fun, but with 7 others in toe and train times being tight (arrive 1.15 ish and leave 5.30 ish there probably won’t be the opportunity, and you might be grateful, but you never know.

Claret_Matelot
07-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Managed to blag two tickets in their 'Presidents Club' lounge. The paperwork asks that away fans respect the fact that they are sat with home fan season ticket holders.... I need to practice 'Non-Emotional Cheering'.. This could go badly wrong...

oldcolner
07-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Managed to blag two tickets in their 'Presidents Club' lounge. The paperwork asks that away fans respect the fact that they are sat with home fan season ticket holders.... I need to practice 'Non-Emotional Cheering'.. This could go badly wrong...
Be careful with the non verbals too CM, tie your hands by your sides and wear a burka.
Lol

oldcolner
09-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Not with free ice cream CM

Saints’ Main Club Sponsors are providing free ice-cream to supporters ahead of the match, at St Mary’s, to make opening day that little bit sweeter.

There will be five vans located around the outside of the stadium, serving from 11am up until kick-off.

The generous offer is the latest from Virgin Media to help make Southampton supporters’ matchday experience all the more enjoyable.

There were also be a host of other activities at St Mary's for fans to enjoy ahead of the opening game of the season, with Saints Brass on hand, a keepy-up challenge in a special panna cage, and Saints Foundation testing your knowledge with a special quiz for supporters.

Will have a few ice creams then!

Claret_Matelot
09-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Ice Cream!!! The Presidents Club Lounge' is open 2 and a half hours before kick-off and the package is inclusive of beer, wine and something called 'Soft drinks' which is what I assume the locals will be drinking. The only ice cream that i will have is what the wife tips over my head when I get home around 18:00 Sh1t faced.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Lol! :?

Altobelli
09-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Went to Tottenham in the Carling Cup when Judas was here, could not get an away ticket so got two in the home end (and they did sing the Yids song), was told not to wear away colours and be civilized, I was wearing my Claret scarf under my coat and when we scored I jumped up shouting YES ! I could feel Matron digging her finger nails into my leg trying to pull me back down into my seat, I think I was saved with Spurs hitting back with more than enough goals.

oldcolner
09-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Did that in Cardiff - was relieved when we equalised - having to suffer 60 mins of verbals - Saps we were called.
Doing the same at Fulham but have behaved in two Rangers games we won so hope Iím trained now.

oldcolner
09-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Danny just signed for them

The Bedlington Terrier
09-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Tarks will knack him again!

oldcolner
09-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Vydra said to be not match fit yet!
Wood horsefly infection needing hospital treatment may mean his out, or will be able to trot, gallop and buzz over the park. Lol

The Bedlington Terrier
10-08-2018, 03:39 AM
Wood is certainly brilliant at finding new ways to not play! :blue:

oldcolner
10-08-2018, 06:39 AM
Wood is certainly brilliant at finding new ways to not play! :blue:

Must be too much horseplay,
I wonder if he just needed outpatient intravenous antibiotics to treat what inflection he had, in which case he could be still training and fit for Sunday.

What did Lindy do to get crocked, I wonder.

Wood and Tom are said to be ok for 12 August, Brady now not till Sept 1 on physioroom. No mention of Lindy yet.

oldcolner
10-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Danny to play against us says Hughes
https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/news/hughes-ings-ready-to-make-saints-debut_333025.html

oldcolner
11-08-2018, 07:03 AM
From the BBC

Head-to-head
Southampton have won two of their six Premier League meetings with Burnley (D1, L3).
However, the Saints have only lost two of their previous 16 home league meetings with Burnley (W8, D6).
The last three league clashes have produced just four goals, with only one of those coming for Southampton.

Southampton
Southampton have recorded just one win in their last 11 home league games (D5, L5).
The Saints have only won the opening fixture twice in 19 Premier League seasons (D9, L8).
They have not started a top-flight season with a home win since 1988-89 - a 4-0 victory over West Ham at The Dell.
Charlie Austin has four goals in his last four Premier League games against Burnley.
Mark Hughes has recorded just one win in his last six league matches against The Clarets (D2, L3), a 2-0 victory with Stoke in December 2016.

Burnley
The Clarets could win their opening match in consecutive top-flight seasons for the first time since 1967.
They lost just five away games in the last Premier League campaign (W7, D7), earning 52% of their points on the road.
Ashley Barnes could become the first player to make 100 Premier League appearances for Burnley.

oldcolner
11-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Will Joe keep his place or should Tom take over?

The Bedlington Terrier
11-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Hart for me! :D

Altobelli
11-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Lucy McHugh murder, police to screen CCTV at Saints stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45151569

oldcolner
11-08-2018, 12:18 PM
We’re here cloudy and rain forecast today and tomorrow!

Altobelli
11-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Show off them Claret colours with pride Colner :)

Claret_Matelot
11-08-2018, 06:57 PM
The rain front will have gone through by 13:00 so a nice afternoon for the match.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 11:12 AM
How is the weather on the coast Colner ?

oldcolner
12-08-2018, 11:20 AM
How is the weather on the coast Colner ?
Hi Alto
It’s rained sporadically quite heavily, but is fine just now. We’re setting off to the game now so hoping it stays like this. Should get some cricket in if our weather moves north. The wind has dropped and it’s warmish too.
Been to the Titanic exhibition this morning, didn’t pay extra to see the Football exhibition!
Didn’t realise this was where King Canute couldn’t turn the tide in 1032.
Hope we can stem the tide of attacks though.

Looks like Joe is starting.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Enjoy, and bring all 3 points back up North :)

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Southampton

1McCarthy
5Stephens
4Vestergaard
6Hoedt
2Cťdric Soares
14Romeu
18Lemina
21Bertrand
17Armstrong
22Redmond
10Austin

Substitutes
9Ings
11Elyounoussi
16Ward-Prowse
20Gabbiadini
23HÝjbjerg
28Gunn
35Bednarek

Burnley

20Hart
2Lowton
5Tarkowski
6Mee
23Ward
7Berg Gudmundsson
18Westwood
4Cork
25Lennon
13Hendrick
11Wood

Substitutes
1Heaton
3Taylor
9Vokes
10Barnes
14Gibson
19Walters
26Bardsley

Referee:Graham Scott

1959_60
12-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Very solid looking team, good options on the bench.

It will look a lot better when Brady/Defour are available.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 12:03 PM
I'd say the defence looks reasonable and not much else.

I'd say Dyche is winging it till Vydra, Brady and D4 are all fit,

sinkov
12-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Just playing one up front, no disguising our ambition then, or lack of it. I can't see this being a classic.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Anyone have any links, cannot find owt on IPTV ?

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Still cannot find a link.. . . .. . . . . . anyone ?

Half Time: Southampton 0 BFC 0

Supersub6
12-08-2018, 01:22 PM
http://www.hesgoal.com/news/32347/Southampton_vs_Burnley.html
try the above alto.
We have played well the first half but haven't scoerd and this is the problem, although their keeper just kept them in it right in half time and Cork had a goal disallows after 8 minutes for offside which was marginal!

ClaretinBudapest
12-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Still cannot find a link.. . . .. . . . . . anyone ?

Half Time: Southampton 0 BFC 0
http://cricfree.org/soccer/southampton-burnley-cfd6jfme?l=2500320122

ClaretinBudapest
12-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Should be 2 or 3 up at half time.I hope we dont regret missing those first half chances.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks CIB/Sub, tried Cricfree CIB, square box' covering half the screen which I cannot get rid of without other links appearing.

Trying the hesgoal now Sub, seems stable at the moment, thank you both :)

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Ings on

Corner for Saints cleared off the line by Westwood

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Sounds like last season with chances being missed and seemingly on the back foot a bit more now :(

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Liverpool giving Wet Spam a seeing too 3-0

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Vokes and Barnes warming up

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Chance for Austin but saved by Hart, Austin subbed, corner Saints.. . . header well held by Hart.

Vokes on for Wood

Supersub6
12-08-2018, 02:01 PM
I will say this now before he costs us ----this referee is absolute garbage!! Will we get any decisions?

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Barnes on for Hendrick, 15 mins left

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I will say this now before he costs us ----this referee is absolute garbage!! Will we get any decisions?

You have just caused me to choke on me tea Sub XD

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Corner Saints and Ings gets a head on it but over the bar

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Come on lads a game we could have won twice, don't lose to a sucker punch in these last 10 mins

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Corner Saints. . . . . . . . . Taylor on for Iceman.. . . . . .. . Ings again heads over the bar.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Cleared from the danger area for a Saints corner, cleared but it keeps coming back, under the cosh atm

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
5 mins injury time will spur Saints on.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Liverpool hit a fourth.

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Mee gives Ings a feeler XD

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 02:23 PM
All done, 0-0, a game we could and should have won with the first half performance :(

Supersub6
12-08-2018, 02:29 PM
A very creditable point and we will play worse and win this season. Our first half performance was a very good one but we just couldn't score, although I am still very doubtful as to whether Cork was offside when his goal was disallowed.
Well done Joe Hart as well. He didn't have a lot to do because of our magnificent team in front of him, however, it is another clean sheet and he looked good.
Cracking performance by all as far as I am concerned and a special thanks to Ashley Westwood who headed off the line from a corner!

1959_60
12-08-2018, 02:29 PM
I would have bit your hand off for that result before the game Alto, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated about not winning now.

Good signs though and we still have Brady, Vydra and Defour to come (sometime!)

lancaster100
12-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Pretty decent start to the season and a good point. Thought Joe Hart was commanding. Best player was James Tarkowski. The only negative was Aaron Lennon absolutely hopeless the sooner Robbie Brady is back the better. Lennon's contribution is neglible.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Pretty decent start to the season and a good point. Thought Joe Hart was commanding. Best player was James Tarkowski. The only negative was Aaron Lennon absolutely hopeless the sooner Robbie Brady is back the better. Lennon's contribution is neglible.

Two clean sheets on the bounce will give Hart loads of confidence.

Supersub6
12-08-2018, 02:56 PM
I disagree that Lennon was a negative because every player contributed to a good team performance. He did a job and did a lot of covering to help Lowton when they pressed more in the second half. If Brady was fit it is very unlikely that Lennon would be anything but a sub, however, with the games coming thick and fast at the moment he can certainoly do a job for the team.
I hope that Joey's injury to his foot gets better soon because he is always a threat and we will need to score on Thursday.
I agree about Tarkowski today --he was on top form.

sinkov
12-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Two clean sheets on the bounce will give Hart loads of confidence.

As will playing behind a Sean Dyche back four BT. Just as good a gig for a keeper as playing in one for a centre-half.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Agreed! >;)

oldcolner
12-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Thought we were totally dominant in the first 60 mins and they all played well including Lennon who put in a shift in attack and in defence. Things changed only when Danny came on. He was very impressive and they were on top by the end. Our substitutions really didnít work and we rarely got near the goal.
Look forward to seeing the offside goal on BBCVAR.
Joe had a few saves to make and did well. Great stop by Westwood on the line.

oldcolner
12-08-2018, 05:54 PM
LT

Ratings
Joe Hart 7
Made a few routine saves and kicked well as the St Mary’s crowd looked to rattle him. Looks to have settled in well.

Matt Lowton 7
One dangerous second half delivery nearly set up Gudmundsson. Used the ball well, an option on the right and kept it moving.

James Tarkowski 8
Defensively strong in the final 15 minutes as Southampton turned up the pressure, making several clearances and winning his headers.

Ben Mee 7
Almost scored an own goal under pressure in the second half. Overhead kick at the other end almost set Hendrick up

Stephen Ward 6
Volleyed a chance straight at McCarthy. Rarely troubled defensively but not seen as often going forward

Johann Berg Gudmundsson 8
Picked up where he ended last season. Calm and confident on the ball, looked creative. Close with a free-kick

Jack Cork 7
His disallowed goal in the first half should have stood. Started really well but looked to tire as the game wore on

Ashley Westwood 8 (Man of the Match)
A display full of energy. Ran the game in the first half as Burnley poured forward. Plenty of short, crip passes, both forward and back when required. Fine ball to find Cork for disallowed goal and a crucial clearance off the line for good measure

Aaron Lennon 6
Should also have scored in the first half after latching on to Hoedt’s header. Didn’t get much change out of Bertrand

Jeff Hendrick 6
Bright in the first hour before fading, but had to score when presented with a golden chance right on the stroke of half-time

Chris Wood 6
Made some good channel runs and linked the play well while Burnley were on top, but couldn’t find the clear chance in front of goal

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16413991.southampton-0-burnley-0-how-the-clarets-rated/?ref=mac

sinkov
12-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Thought we were totally dominant in the first 60 mins and they all played well including Lennon who put in a shift in attack and in defence. Things changed only when Danny came on. He was very impressive and they were on top by the end. Our substitutions really didn’t work and we rarely got near the goal.
Look forward to seeing the offside goal on BBCVAR.
Joe had a few saves to make and did well. Great stop by Westwood on the line.

How much were the growlers OC, and could you get peas and gravy with them ?

And never mind the LT ratings, you were there, what are your ratings, I'd rather see them, a fan's verdict, than some hack sat in the back of the stand.

oldcolner
12-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Mail says
Burnley (4-4-1-1): Hart 7; Lowton 6, Tarkowski 6.5, Mee 6.5, Ward 6; Gudmundsson 6 (Taylor 87), Westwood 6, Cork 6, Lennon 6; Wood 6 (Vokes 73, 6); Hendrick 6 (Barnes 76)

My scores are affected by the fact that we were at the wrong end, most action took place at the other end in both half’s, so could always be sure who did what in their box.

Hart 8; Lowton 7, Tarkowski 8, Mee 8, Ward 7; Gudmundsson 7 (Taylor 87), Westwood 8, Cork 8, Lennon 7; Wood 7 (Vokes 6); Hendrick 7(Barnes 76)

Altobelli
12-08-2018, 06:44 PM
My scores are affected by the fact that we were at the wrong end, most action took place at the other end in both half’s, so could always be sure who did what in their box.

You need a good pair of distance glass' Colner, don't borrow BT's as they are well and truly Phucked XD

oldcolner
12-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Sean praises the support in LT.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16414107.sean-dyche-praises-amazing-burnley-fans/?ref=mac

The person next to me is in the photo!!!
I must have cracked the lens Lol

blueheeler1
13-08-2018, 12:55 AM
LT

Ratings
Joe Hart 7
Made a few routine saves and kicked well as the St Maryís crowd looked to rattle him. Looks to have settled in well.

Matt Lowton 7
One dangerous second half delivery nearly set up Gudmundsson. Used the ball well, an option on the right and kept it moving.

James Tarkowski 8
Defensively strong in the final 15 minutes as Southampton turned up the pressure, making several clearances and winning his headers.

Ben Mee 7
Almost scored an own goal under pressure in the second half. Overhead kick at the other end almost set Hendrick up

Stephen Ward 6
Volleyed a chance straight at McCarthy. Rarely troubled defensively but not seen as often going forward

Johann Berg Gudmundsson 8
Picked up where he ended last season. Calm and confident on the ball, looked creative. Close with a free-kick

Jack Cork 7
His disallowed goal in the first half should have stood. Started really well but looked to tire as the game wore on

Ashley Westwood 8 (Man of the Match)
A display full of energy. Ran the game in the first half as Burnley poured forward. Plenty of short, crip passes, both forward and back when required. Fine ball to find Cork for disallowed goal and a crucial clearance off the line for good measure

Aaron Lennon 6
Should also have scored in the first half after latching on to Hoedtís header. Didnít get much change out of Bertrand

Jeff Hendrick 6
Bright in the first hour before fading, but had to score when presented with a golden chance right on the stroke of half-time

Chris Wood 6
Made some good channel runs and linked the play well while Burnley were on top, but couldnít find the clear chance in front of goal

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16413991.southampton-0-burnley-0-how-the-clarets-rated/?ref=mac

Totally agree that Westwood was MOM just eclipsing Tarks.

I have been a long time critic of Westwood but today played his best game for us IMO.

His headed clearance off the line was fantastic.

Very good Burnley performance.

Agree with the negative comments about the Ref abot Ref

Supersub6
13-08-2018, 08:40 AM
The clearance off the line by Westwood came about because Ben Mee was pushed in the back as he went up to head the ball, however, the referee totally ignored that fact which meant that Westwood saved our bacon.

sinkov
13-08-2018, 08:45 AM
The clearance off the line by Westwood came about because Ben Mee was pushed in the back as he went up to head the ball, however, the referee totally ignored that fact which meant that Westwood saved our bacon.

Yes, you're right Sub, it was a blatant push. I thought we might have had a pen as well when Gudmundsson got caught with a lethal looking lunge, it seemed to go un-noticed by the muppets though.

blueheeler1
13-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Yes, you're right Sub, it was a blatant push. I thought we might have had a pen as well when Gudmundsson got caught with a lethal looking lunge, it seemed to go un-noticed by the muppets though.

Not sure it was a "blatant" though.

I didn't think he was pushed by hand rather it was body to body.

Seen this given as a foul and not given.

If he was jumped into that's a foul but challenging for the ball?

Not clear cut for me.

The Bedlington Terrier
13-08-2018, 11:23 AM
There is an obvious element of Claret & Blue bias on here blueheeler1! XD

Supersub6
13-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I expressed my opinion as an ex-official, although not at football league level. I don't often criticise officials, however, on the occasions that I have seen this referee, not just Burnley matches, I have been disappointed with his decision making. I posted on here yesterday, during the match, that I thought that he may well cost us the game and it almost proved to be the case.

sinkov
13-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Not sure it was a "blatant" though.

I didn't think he was pushed by hand rather it was body to body.

Seen this given as a foul and not given.

If he was jumped into that's a foul but challenging for the ball?

Not clear cut for me.

No I agree it wasn't blatant in that it was an obvious push, it wasn't, but it was blatant in that the player knew exactly what he was doing, which was running into Mee and knocking him off balance before he could head the ball. I wouldn't even criticise the ref or liner for not spotting it, or penalising it either, in today's game it's just clever play, there's that much going on, you're almost bound to get away with something like that. Doesn't alter the fact that Ben was fouled though.

oldcolner
13-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Tv suggests Ben took Danny out and was a pen, but didnít analyse Jacks offside.

Claret_Matelot
15-08-2018, 03:35 PM
I took the opportunity to put the press straight in the post match interview.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Good stuff!

oldcolner
15-08-2018, 04:30 PM
BT
Inside St Mary’s.