PDA

View Full Version : Rotherham - Sheffield tram train

Hazza Has A Gazza
25-10-2018, 04:34 PM
3 years late, £60m over budget, day one of its service and it's crashed! You couldn't make it up!

Hazza Has A Gazza
25-10-2018, 04:39 PM
O/T Sorry

great_fire
25-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Yes I just saw a promo clip from Calendar.

Looks like there's a Millers story on as well.

great_fire
25-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Loads of whiplash claims will be going in now.

loyalmiller
25-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Good story but it wasnít the new Rotherham-Sheffield Tram-Train link that crashed.
It was a Sheffield tram line thatís been running for 25 years that was derailed by a lorry in Darnall.

wrinkly
25-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Good story but it wasnít the new Rotherham-Sheffield Tram-Train link that crashed.
It was a Sheffield tram line thatís been running for 25 years that was derailed by a lorry in Darnall.
Actually it was one of the new tram trains that crashed. Although it was on the tram line section of the route

great_fire
25-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Well that was misleading then.

great_fire
25-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Star says it is a tram-train:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/recovery-operation-begins-to-remove-stricken-sheffield-tram-train-1-9414554

loyalmiller
25-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Star says it is a tram-train:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/recovery-operation-begins-to-remove-stricken-sheffield-tram-train-1-9414554

I stand partly corrected. Knowing nothing about the crash when I read the OPís post I assumed it was the on the new part of the track that led to Parkgate.

After googling I read it was at Darnall and trams have been running there for over 25 years, so whatever tram they used it had nothing to go with it being the first day.

great_fire
25-10-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm assuming that the Parkgate to Sheffield part of the journey is actually the "train" part and is on train tracks.

I don't know if the tram-train drivers were previously tram drivers or train drivers.

If this one was previously a train driver then maybe he or she wasn't used to driving in the streets with other vehicles and therefore it may have something to do with the crash.

As a pilot project though, not good for day one.

loyalmiller
25-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Good point. Donít know why involved myself in this anyway, I usually steer clear of OT threads and anyway to be honest I donít give a sh!t ;-)

CASPER-64-FRANK
25-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Tram-Train runs from Sheffield Cathedral to Meadowhall South on tram lines before proceeding over a new section of track linking the tram line to the rail track called the Tinsley Chord. Then it goes onto the national rail network to Parkgate Shopping via Rotherham Central station.
It's a two year trial project, Government funded and is a partnership between SYPTE, Network Rail, Stagecoach Supertram and Northern Rail. It's supposed to be a two year pilot trial and a part of the Northern Powerhouse.
If it works out they will try it other larger cities i.e. Manchester.
Three trams an hour if anyone's interested.

Footnote : A passenger that was on the damaged tram got his claim in early...he told Look North " he had hurt his back " lol...
Expect a few compo claims coming in lol.

sota
26-10-2018, 04:42 AM
Cheers for the info Frank. Sounds like a great idea to me.

As a side note, the steelwork for the Broughton Lane overpass and the 3-way footbridge close to Sheff Arena (above said tracks and canal) were all supplied and installed by Mrs Sota and I so this is of particular interest to us :-)

Lolmorgan
26-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Another nail in the coffin for Rotherham town centre,free parking at retail world, park up hop on the tram to Sheff.

flourbasher
26-10-2018, 09:03 AM
Yes the downside is that the town centre businesses will suffer but a good tram system should bring benefits to the area for commuters leading to less traffic.
Some people may choose to settle in the better areas of Rotherham because of the it's proximity to Sheffield, good transport links and a great football team.

I know people who have moved out of Sheffield into Rotherham because their mortgage is a third of what it would be in Sheffield for the same house and garden. This tram link will vindicate their decision.

great_fire
26-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Yes but what happens in 2 years when the pilot ends?

flourbasher
26-10-2018, 10:02 AM
GF. Please elaborate.
I don't live in R'ham anymore so only hear snippets.
Is it only temporary?

CASPER-64-FRANK
26-10-2018, 10:22 AM
GF. Please elaborate.
I don't live in R'ham anymore so only hear snippets.
Is it only temporary?

They have two years to assess the system for customer satisfaction, passenger numbers, reliability and costs are tested.
Prices were announced last week and for the life of me I can't remember them. They were very reasonable and if you are lucky enough to have a bus pass it's free.
It says somewhere that it's a 27mins journey unless the tram crashes into a lorry. Not sure if that 27mins is correct.
Sheffield is a nightmare to get in and out of so if this new tram / train works how it should it will be value for money.
Three years delay and well over budget though.

great_fire
26-10-2018, 12:41 PM
It's a pilot for the whole country to see if train-trams will work.

millmoormagic
26-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Another nail in the coffin for Rotherham town centre,free parking at retail world, park up hop on the tram to Sheff.

Or Lol, if you look at it positively, it stops at Rotherham central, a chance for folks to get off there for a stroll if they want, also in the long term links for when the town is a cultural and entertainment hub....tha noz

frogmiller
26-10-2018, 04:49 PM
They were saying that it is completely workable to add stations for this scheme on the rail tracks which will link more villages

wrinkly
26-10-2018, 05:19 PM
I wonder about possible car parking problems at Parkgate. There are some sizeable areas of new(ish) housing to the North of Parkgate. The roads to these areas are very congested at rush hour periods.
At £14 a week for a tram only ticket, commuters to Sheffield might find the tramtrain a welcome alternative to driving into Sheffield and paying to park in the city.
I understand that the retail park has set aside 31 spaces for tram passengers.
Will this be enough?
Will the retail park be able to enforce restrictions?
Will the car park end up full of tram riders cars?

jocksgloves
26-10-2018, 06:54 PM
It will at least make it easy for Sheffield supporting folk from our fair town to park up at Parkgate and reach the big city with minimum effort.