PDA

View Full Version : Worst penalty decision of all time

kempo
01-01-2014, 08:28 PM
The referee saw it was out of the area and gave the correct decision.The linesman then intervened for reasons he should have to explain and the decision was inexplicably changed.

The trip wasn't even near to being in the penalty area so how could these officials get it so wrong?

This was a game changing moment and Evans is correct in that the linesman should never officiate at this level again.

How will refereeing ever improve if incidents like these are never subjected to significant event reviews?

shiregreenmillers
01-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Well kempo it were a penalty

jolly_roger
01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Looked like a penalty to me.

But yes it was a game changing moment, and one we've seen before. A quick ball behind a flat footed centre back and the nippy attacker is one on one with our keeper.

Only this time the flat footed centreback managed to trip him from behind.

deano_83
01-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Didn't look a penalty from the back of the North stand and it was the other end, seen it again and it's over 2 yards outside the box, initial contact isn't even in the D.

Utter, utter disgrace and the lino is a cheat. You cannot get that wrong.

Casper64Frank
01-01-2014, 08:55 PM
My heart said no pen my head said the attacking player was just inside the area. :blue:

Morgan got caught for lack of pace.

UTM.

shiregreenmillers
01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
We sit in the west stand and it were definitely a penalty ..

jolly_roger
01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Didn't look a penalty from the back of the North stand and it was the other end, seen it again and it's over 2 yards outside the box, initial contact isn't even in the D.

No Deano, Morgan is the cheat, tripping an opposition player from behind when clear through on goal.

millertop
01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Tackled out the box, player threw himself in the box.

Ref gave a free kick, linesman says different which wasn't a surprise seeing that Arnie had a right go at him beforehand

one_a_day
01-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I don't need to go to specsavers and there is no way that was a penalty.

ZIPPY64
01-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Says it all

http://i39.tinypic.com/vfegiv.jpg

BradfordFozzie
01-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Another 4 or 5 yards and he would have made the box!

fivetide
01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Tackled out the box, player threw himself in the box.

That was my thought at the time. Took too long to go down.

Red card all the way of course but very poor to have officials so easily conned twice in two games

MarkThomas
01-01-2014, 10:43 PM
I think that's an astonishing decision, utterly astonishing.

CaptainDonjer
01-01-2014, 11:30 PM
My thoughts exactly Mark.

Influenced by their bench perhaps?

If any of you think Rayner and Evans are bad for having a go and constantly barking from touchline their bench where whinging at everything and I mean everything.

18MILLERS84
01-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I didn't think it was a penalty but the linesman gives it. Theref was a lot closer to the incident than the linesman, maybe the linesman had a better view , then two minutes after the pen the ball goes out for a throw in and the linesman waited for the ref to decide wich way to give it. The ref was 40 yds away the linesman was about 6yds away, I can only assume he had lost his contacts

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
02-01-2014, 12:16 AM

PMSL XD XD

MarkThomas
02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately for us, when we look at the papers tomorrow that will be a penalty.

You wouldn't need hotspot or snicko to decision review that one.

I can understand borderline decisions involving initial contact on the line of the area itself being difficult but I'd love to be able to observe the linesman's position at the time of the trip and his position leading up to it. I'd wager that he either guessed or was so heavily influenced by their bench that he gave it. The through pass was swift and unexpected and it's possible the lino was running whilst attempting to watch the play.

Human error will always be a part of officials' decision making, as it is with players' decisions, and that will still apply when
humans interpret technology but for goodness sake we deserve better than that appalling decision.

millyTHEmiller
02-01-2014, 12:55 AM
just watched it on ssn and rewound again several times,morgan does actualy stretch out to catch the lad,it wasnt a coming together,morgan deliberately brings him down which is stupid realy, on another note if you watch it in full flow you can see why the liner has gave a pen,its nowhere near in the box but in fast flow it very much looks like a pen,if i didnt rewind that and was watchin it live i would have said pen all day long.

GijsbertBos
02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
As annoying as the penalty decision was I was more annoyed with the way we started the second half up to the penalty.

It was a matter of time before we conceded.

gm_gm
02-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I think we deserved to lose this one on the second half performance alone.

no complaints

millavanilla
02-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Well done zip! some peoples eyes must be painted on...
XD

Bonneville
02-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Just watched the highlights, I rewound it and paused it when contact was made, it was outside of the D, so get yer sen some glasses those who think its a pen cos it clearly wasn't, granted it happened quickly but if lino is on his game he'll see that.

millertop
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
just watched it on ssn and rewound again several times,morgan does actualy stretch out to catch the lad,it wasnt a coming together,morgan deliberately brings him down which is stupid realy, on another note if you watch it in full flow you can see why the liner has gave a pen,its nowhere near in the box but in fast flow it very much looks like a pen,if i didnt rewind that and was watchin it live i would have said pen all day long.

I'm in WS7 so was at the other end when they gave a pen, i could see it was out the box , if the linesman couldn't then he has serious eye problems and should get it sorted before his next game

RedArrowMiller
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
My take on this…..
Can someone confirm that the linesman actually flagged for the decision? If so the below is irrelevant and a poor decision but I didn’t see the flag across his chest…
Morgan gets wrong side and done for pace, (would have happened against wolves as well for their third but lucky he didn’t get a hand full of the lads shirt) and trips the lad a good couple of yards outside the box as we can see from above…. The referee gives a free kick and red card - CORRECT
Then for some bizarre reason the linesman meanders precariously round to the goal line assuming the referee had given a penalty – the following conversation ensues
Ref – what you doing standing round here?
Lino – you gave a pen didn’t you?
Ref – no I gave a freekick, why did you think it was a pen?
Lino – I was agreeing with you and thought it was a pen
Ref – well if you thought it was a pen, I wasn’t 100% sure, so I’ll give the pen…agree
Lino – I’ll go with you
Ref – pen it is then….

tivoliman415783
02-01-2014, 10:41 AM
they have just took a wild guess and when officials do that (same as port vale) it verges on cheating. They are not there to guess.

I can understand officials not giving a decision if they have not seen it (their human and can not see everything) but to give decisions like the port vale red card and especially the penalty today is nothing but cheating against Rotherham because they are giving things that have not happened.

wrinkly
02-01-2014, 12:03 PM

I sit in the West Stand
Good news
I found them for you ;D

http://i44.tinypic.com/24n17hf.jpg

kempo
02-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Exactly my thoughts tivoli...you cannot see something that didn't happen so it should be of utmost importance to analyse and correct the way you work.

It's not as if this was close...fantastic photo zippy...send it to the footballing press as its a great topic for discussion and the officials should bed and shamed.

kempo
02-01-2014, 12:08 PM

I sit in the West Stand
Good news
I found them for you ;D

http://i44.tinypic.com/24n17hf.jpg[/quote]

They must be jolly's , shire wears jam jars.

At least this thread illustrates the utter tripe the usual suspects talk on here.

BramleyMiller1992
02-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Absolutely awful decision.

You can say what you want about Morgan being a cheat (it was a stupid decision to lunge in and get himself sent off) but the chances of them scoring from a free kick are significantly reduced.

Who knows, maybe we could have held on at 1-0 up??

Bottom line, the linesman made a disgraceful decision and should be reprimanded.

BradfordFozzie
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM

No Deano, Morgan is the cheat, tripping an opposition player from behind when clear through on goal.[/quote]

You have a very strange definition of cheating Jolly? Generally when players cheat, it's to gain an advantage or get away with something. Morgan did neither? I think all he thought at the time was to "take on for the team" as he knew he was going to be sent off. He just didn't bank on it being a penalty.

BradfordFozzie
02-01-2014, 06:01 PM

PMSL XD XD[/quote]

Where's that damn LIKE button when you need it! XD XD

CAMiller
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I must be mellowing in my old age.

Having listened live yesterday, seen all the comments on here and the freeze frame from Zip I just watched the highlights on player with an open mind. Putting myself in the position of the linesman/ref and at normal speed (with me sitting at my desk and looking from an elevated camera angle not running full tilt as they were likely doing) the player does very well to get into the box before going down and so I can quite easily see how they would give a penalty.

Obviously most posters on here have better eyesight than me - especially those that thought Colchester's equaliser wasn't over the line ;D

caytonmiller
02-01-2014, 06:14 PM
I tried to post this yesterday, but mm says no..

attempt 2.
as soon as morgan brought down the striker i looked at the linesman. he flagged then put his flag across his chest.. few seconds later he puts his flag down and walks to the corner flag..
ref sends morgan off and gives freekick. two coventry players point at linesman. ref trots over to linesman and im guessing asked. "was it inside the box" obv reply was yes, linesman gave it as he saw it. i dont think he deliberately cheated, just got it wrong...

Muchthemillersson
02-01-2014, 10:39 PM
I tried to post this yesterday, but mm says no..

attempt 2.
as soon as morgan brought down the striker i looked at the linesman. he flagged then put his flag across his chest.. few seconds later he puts his flag down and walks to the corner flag..
ref sends morgan off and gives freekick. two coventry players point at linesman. ref trots over to linesman and im guessing asked. "was it inside the box" obv reply was yes, linesman gave it as he saw it. i dont think he deliberately cheated, just got it wrong...

That's how I saw it as well. I looked to the linesman straight away and he put his flag across his chest then bizarrely put it down again about a second later before most people including the referee saw it. That indicated to me some doubt had crept into his mind but when the referee went over to him he stood by his original error as it seems a Coventry player saw the flag.

shiregreenmillers
02-01-2014, 10:49 PM

I sit in the West Stand
Good news
I found them for you ;D

http://i44.tinypic.com/24n17hf.jpg[/quote]

They must be jolly's , shire wears jam jars.

At least this thread illustrates the utter tripe the usual suspects talk on here.[/quote]To true kempo ...But the usual suspects go to more games than you ...You were right it was not a penalty ...I will sent you a blue peter badge ..:/ :/

shiregreenmillers
02-01-2014, 11:16 PM

PMSL XD XD[/quote]:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

shiregreenmillers
02-01-2014, 11:17 PM

I sit in the West Stand
Good news
I found them for you ;D

http://i44.tinypic.com/24n17hf.jpg[/quote]:/ :/ :/ :/ :/

loyalmiller
03-01-2014, 06:43 AM
You appear to feel hard done to by the wind ups aimed at you for being brave enough to voice your opinion before you'd seen TV evidence, Shiregreen.

The same wind ups you aimed at me after I wrongly claimed that Colchester's last minute equaliser had not crossed the line.

Live by the sword you die by it mate! ;-)

shiregreenmillers
03-01-2014, 09:26 AM
[quote="loyalmiller"]You appear to feel hard done to by the wind ups aimed at you for being brave enough to voice your opinion before you'd seen TV evidence, Shiregreen.

The same wind ups you aimed at me after I wrongly claimed that Colchester's last minute equaliser had not crossed the line.

Live by the sword you die by it mate! ;- Your right loyalmiller ..XD XD XD .

rich76
03-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Having watched the replay several times I am now begining to doubt the contact on the player. He blatantly waits until he gets in the box before lifting his legs from underneath himself. Although Morgan's lack of argument leaves a bit of doubt in mt mind.

The freeze frame Zippy posted shows the only point where there might have been contact, so if it wasn't sufficient to bring the man down two yards outside then was it really a foul?

I know we got a fairly dubious pen against Vale, but at least it was inside the area.

I have tried to remain objective regarding the conspiracy theory about officials but I am not seeing much evidence of the "balances out" theory either. We seem to get a lot of game changing decisions go against us, both this season and last.

deano_83
03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Looks like Wilson's done his shoulder anyway, not surprised given the way he threw himself over.

Glad to hear Thomas is okay after his head injury though. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25578728)

millyTHEmiller
03-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Having watched the replay several times I am now begining to doubt the contact on the player. He blatantly waits until he gets in the box before lifting his legs from underneath himself. Although Morgan's lack of argument leaves a bit of doubt in mt mind.

The freeze frame Zippy posted shows the only point where there might have been contact, so if it wasn't sufficient to bring the man down two yards outside then was it really a foul?

I know we got a fairly dubious pen against Vale, but at least it was inside the area.

I have tried to remain objective regarding the conspiracy theory about officials but I am not seeing much evidence of the "balances out" theory either. We seem to get a lot of game changing decisions go against us, both this season and last.
come off it pal theres clearly contact

millertop
03-01-2014, 01:52 PM

come off it pal theres clearly contact[/quote]

Agree

shiregreenmillers
03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

come off it pal theres clearly contact[/quote]

Agree[/quote]Top post mille

millertop
03-01-2014, 02:01 PM

come off it pal ther

millyTHEmiller
03-01-2014, 02:03 PM
[quote="millertop"]Having watched the replay several times I am now begining to doubt the contact on the player. He blatantly waits until he gets in the box before lifting his legs from underneath himself. Although Morgan's lack of argument leaves a bit of doubt in mt mind.

I have tried to remain objective regarding the conspiracy theory about officials but I am not seeing much evidence of the "balances out" theory either. We seem to get a lot of game changing decisions go against us, both thi

shiregreenmillers
03-01-2014, 02:05 PM
[quote="millyTHEmiller"]Having watched the replay several times I am now begining to doubt the contact on the player. He blatantly waits until he gets in the box before lifting his legs from underneath himself. Although Morgan's lack of argument leaves a bit of doubt in mt mind.

I have tried to remain objective regarding the conspiracy theory about officials but I am not seeing much evidence of the "balances out" theory either. We seem to get a lo

millertop
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
XD XD XD

rich76
03-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Ok, I might have been deliberately controversial but isn't football a "contact" sport?

The foul wasn't enough to bring him down when it occurred yet his legs went when he got into the box. I know, modern game and all that but players are taking the pish now, ours included. Watch it back again and see what he does.