PDA

View Full Version : Should Arnason be playing at CB?

GijsbertBos
02-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I know this has been discussed before but I felt the need to bring it up again.

Technically I don't think there is any doubt that Arnason is a great player, one of the best I have seen in a Millers shirt. As a central defender however, I can't help but see him as a liability! He has a tendency to keep hold of the ball longer than a centre back should and some of his passing is questionable at times to say the least.

He reminds me of a poor mans David Luiz at Chelsea, talented but too eccentric to be the last line of defence before the keeper. Arnasons best position for me is defensive midfielder, where he can express himself on the ball and if he gives it away, there are players behind to cover.

millavanilla
02-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Looked like he'd had been on the lash or something yesterday..slower than usual..didnt look that bothered..and got caught napping twice..

Madness1990
02-01-2014, 08:55 AM
So wot your saying is u want to play a footballer in midfield who can't pass a ball to a red shirt. He's a liability in any position

NYSRich
02-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Put it this way, if anyone comes in with a bid for him in January, I would take it. He and O'Connor are the 2 most over-rated players in the squad IMO.

Derbymiller
02-01-2014, 09:54 AM
NYSRich, contender for worst reply to a post in 2014, in fact any year

millertop
02-01-2014, 09:59 AM
I've always said it, plays better in midfield and if he makes a mistake then there is cover at back at least.

If someone should go then yes it's Arnason.

If you don't do favourites or hate a player then you actually see the real game and not through rose tinted glasses :/

NYSRich
02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
How many goals has Arnason cost us this year? He is a liability. My point about selling him is in the context of him being out of contract in the summer. As for O'Connor - a yellow card waiting to happen, goals to shots ratio is appalling, not done it for me this season I'm afraid. I am not saying either player is bad, just over-rated. IMO of course.

As a matter of interest, who would you say our most over-rated player(s) is/are?

millertop
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
NYSRich, contender for worst reply to a post in 2014, in fact any year

Not really because he is right about Arnie

Heman
02-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Says it all really. Anyone who thinks Arnie is crap doesn't understand football at all.

millertop
02-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Says it all really. Anyone who thinks Arnie is crap doesn't understand football at all.

Try reading the threads before you comment or try specsavers

Narrowboat09
02-01-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't wear rose tinted glasses but Id pick him in any position!!!

nys
02-01-2014, 10:29 AM
He has been good this year. For three quarters of this half season he's was simply outstanding at CB, Villa aside. It's a shame about his passing, as it does cost us points. From a defensive viewpoint he's been excellent. Where he struggles is getting outmuscled occasionally by powerful forwards and getting beaten in the air off crosses.

I only went to Port Vale, where he was poor in CM. He was ill that day though. From what I read, he was excellent in the two games prior.

He's a better defender then David Luiz. I'm a better defender then David Luiz :)

millavanilla
02-01-2014, 10:37 AM
He has been good this year. For three quarters of this half season he's was simply outstanding at CB, Villa aside. It's a shame about his passing, as it does cost us points. From a defensive viewpoint he's been excellent. Where he struggles is getting outmuscled occasionally by powerful forwards and getting beaten in the air off crosses.

I only went to Port Vale, where he was poor in CM. He was ill that day though. From what I read, he was excellent in the two games prior.

He's a better defender then David Luiz. I'm a better defender then David Luiz :)

Well im no chelsea lover ...but "hes a better defender than david luiz" ? XD. XD. XD. XD. XD. XD. XD

nys
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Well im no chelsea lover ...but "hes a better defender than david luiz" ? XD. XD. XD. XD. XD. XD. XD[/quote]

No he isn't a better defender then Luiz. I'm definitely not a better defender then Luiz :) I was just taking the pss out of Luiz.

millyTHEmiller
02-01-2014, 12:24 PM
ive said before...arnie is too nice to be a centre half, he gets shoved off the ball far too easy. play him in centre mid or dont play him at all, however i dont blame him for defeat yesterday,he wasnt that bad,i think people get the wrong impression of him when they say he didnt look interested cos thats the kind of charachter he is,a berbatov if you like,hes a cool customer a bit lathargic,hes not gona go tear arsein around the pitch he gets the ball and just plays simple football

nys
02-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I disagree. He sometimes go's charging out from the back into midfield. His lethargy is in his lapse passing and decision making, not his energy levels. He doesn't cover as much ground as our other CM's because he is slower.

mikemiller
02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
No - I've been saying that he's too slow since the start of the season. SE should have signed a quality centre back months ago. (None of the other central defenders are very quick either).

Should really play him in midfield, just in front of the back four

luvpud
02-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Looked like he'd had been on the lash or something yesterday..slower than usual..didnt look that bothered..and got caught napping twice..

I thought exactly the same , I think that's the worst I've seen Arni play .

millertop
02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't wear rose tinted glasses but Id pick him in any position!!!

XD you definitely do

caytonmiller
02-01-2014, 03:56 PM
simple answer is yes.

long answer is, yes because of other squad options...
we have morgan, arni, davis, mills, rowe.. all play central defence..

except for rowe who i have yet to see. morgan and arni are our best two choices... if other options come in this january then its time to reassess...

btw come end of season we will need a massive reshuffle at the back...

davis is borderline league one (for his age) so next season league 2 at best...

mills is league 2 quality now.

skarz is borderline league 1 cause hes not looking great so far this season. he was a lot better in league 2..
arni, if a decent loan player came in this january i think he would be the one to miss out. even though i like him at cb just wish he had another half a yard of pace...

morgan wins 90% in the air. sadly hes another who is slow over the ground and his lack of pace could cost 5/6 goals over a season but at this level im ok with that...

bradley. looked the most consistent defender this season. sea

BradfordFozzie
02-01-2014, 05:05 PM

He and O Connor are overrated? Yet in this post you say he's been outstanding for the first three Quarters of the season so far????

If Arnie played for Coventry he would simply be outstanding as they all want to play it out from the back and are all comfortable on the ball. Arnie does get caught out sometimes as he doesn't want to just hoof the ball up to Rev and is always looking to

kempo
02-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Everyone is fully entitled to an opinion but for a number of our supporters to keep criticising Arni is almost unbelievable.

put a bandage around his head and tell him to keep booting the ball skywards and a few may take to him better!...unbelievable!

In answer to the question...he is outstanding at this level in both positions so its whatever suits the team at the time.

millertop
02-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Everyone is fully entitled to an opinion but for a number of our supporters to keep criticising Arni is almost unbelievable.

put a bandage around his head and tell him to keep booting the ball skywards and a few may take to him better!...unbelievable!

In answer to the question...he is outstanding at this level in both positions so its whatever suits the team at the time.

Try taking the bandage off your eyes, like any player who is having a bad game will get criticised, it's only natural

hotun
02-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Very true kempo.

MarkThomas
02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Arnason and Morgan are our best 2 centre backs. No-one else in the squad comes close to them in that position. Take either of them out of there and we are a lesser force.

As for pace - historically since football began centre halves have lacked pace. Those blessed with pace usually play up front or midfield.

If anyone can find an accomplished L1 standard centre back with pace please contact Mr Evans - they are like gold dust.

nys
02-01-2014, 07:25 PM

He and O Connor are overrated? Yet in this post you say he's been outstanding for the first three Quarters of the season so far????

If Arnie played for Coventry he would simply be outstanding as they all want to play it out from the back and are all comfortable on the ball. Arnie does get caught out sometimes as he doesn't want to ju

Brin
02-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I bet Revell's laughing at this post as it's not about him...:D

As for yesterday I thought Arnie had a poor game yesterday...his passing was at times slack/slow/poor...his lethargic input was evident to all but let's rewind to last week at Vale and he was lucky to be playing due to illness...who's not to say he's still not feeling the effects?

Is he over rated?.. Yes I believe he is while others worship the turf he floats over..would I be disappointed if he was sold in January ? No ...

He can sometimes send a sublime 40 yard pin point pass to the toe of a fellow team player yet send a 10 yard one anywhere but to the intended colleague but that's Arnie...he's simply over rated due to his national status..having said that I would far rather have an 'on his game' Arnie with us than not...

BradfordFozzie
02-01-2014, 08:41 PM

If Arnie played for Coventry he would simply be outstanding as they all want to play it out from the back and are all comfortable on the ball. Arnie does get caug

tonythemiller1
02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Why does this board spend so much time knocking our current team , which despite its failings has reached 6th place in the league table.
I have supported the Millers for nearly 50 years and rate Frecklington ,Tavernier and Dicko amongst the best players I have seen !
Also agree Bradley continues to improve game by game.
Only need a centre half and poacher to make the play offs.
Heard bid 300,000 for 2 players , nos in frame!