PDA

View Full Version : Eric Barnes Profile 1966

itwasin
03-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Eric Barnes Centre Half is due shortly to set a new club appearance record in league matches.
Eric has already represented Alexandra in more first class games than any other player.He made his 300th league and Cup appearance against Luton in April this year,and towards the end of this season will take his total to over 350.

Manchester born Eric is Alexandra^s longest serving player.He joined the club 11 seasons ago as a 19yrs old amateur while serving in the R.A.F.,at Stafford.
The clubs leading all round sportsman,Eric plays cricket for the Crewe L.M.R,and has represented Cheshire in the Minor Counties League.In addition he is a keen Angler,and Golfer.
During his time at Crewe he has played with many of the Alex stars as; Johnny King,Frank Lord,Ron Smith, Gordon Wallace,Dave Whelan (now Wigan Chairman) Dave Ewing,Albert Harley, Willie Mayley,John Mahoney,Mick Gannon,to a few,A True Legend

all
04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Great servant to the club and one of my all time heroes.
To you list of stars he played with you can add Keith Stott, Tommy Lowry and the great Peter Leigh.

alexmick
04-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Eric was a member of the Alex line up versus Luton on May 3rd 1968, when promotion was secured to Division Three. That match cost me just 2 shillings to watch (10p) and the programme (which I still have) cost 6d. Amongst my fondest memories that game. This man was so loyal, that he turned down a transfer to the mighty Leeds United to stay at Crewe. Unheard of today.