PDA

View Full Version : Eusebio

lovedeanblue
05-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Portuguese Media are reporting that the great man has died aged 71. Never saw the World Cup in 66 as I was at sea. He top scored in the tournament with 9 goals including 4 in one match against a decent North Korean side. I remember him tapping Alex Stepney's head to say well done after the United keeper stopped the great man in a one to one. That was the 68 European Final at Wembley which Utd won, it may have been a different score if Eusebio had scored. A True Gent. RIP

Corkhead
05-01-2014, 10:17 AM
He lit up the 66 WC with his incredible ability and style, his sportsmanship and generosity of spirit.

The Black Panther, the Black Pearl or O Rei (The King) is considered one of the greatest footballers of all-time.

Nothing short of a legend.

RIP

midhurstblue
05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I remember him in the 66 World Cup, he was absolutely brilliant.

nonsuchmike
05-01-2014, 04:00 PM
At OT in early 1966 I had the privilege to see the great man live for Benfica. Utd won that match 3 - 2 as I recall with Eusebio and Torres' dad/granddad(?) scoring for the Portuguese outfit.

It cost me 8/- (40p) to watch this from the south stand seats - extra as it was a European match - which we bought at the gate on the night, travelled back in Maurice's grey A30 baby Austin to our HoR in Fallowfield to re-watch it on Sportsnight Extra on black and white TV.

To give you an idea of costs at that time, 4/3 was the price of 20 normal tipped cigarettes like Albany or Embassy. It cost 6d by bus to Uni from Fallowfield crossroads, or 4d if you went to Old Hall Lane and alighted the stop before the Refec @ MRI.

All night fares on buses were twice the standard day prices, and about 60% of all bus routes had all night buses running along them. City's ground @ Maine Road, which was a minor cobbled street really, was as dilapidated as FP is now because no investment was put in to improve