PDA

View Full Version : Drove the A71 (Edinburgh-Kilmarnock) yesterday

tarapoa
06-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Needed to go to Inverkeithing on my way to the game from Aberdeenshire yesterday, so as a consequence to get to Rugby Park, drove this road for the first time in my life.

What an interesting experience of central belt schemieness this was.

I already knew from bitter experience that Livingston was a depressing hole, but all the other places were almost unknown to me - West Calder, Newmains, Bonkle (!), Overtown, Stonehouse, Darvel, Galston...has anything of note happened in any of these places?

Dodgy looking kebab shops, boarded up premises and dilapidated council-style housing seemed to dominate...I never realised so much of the third world still existed within Scotland.

I'd heard of Strathaven though and it didn't seem that bad - but almost ended up in Larkhall, which I've heard is a disturbing experience for anyone.

Are these the kind of towns that breed all these sellik and Sevco muppets?

ClaudeBalls
06-01-2014, 10:45 PM
West Calder is a fine wee toon. More than enough boozers for its size. It has a pretty evenly balanced mixture of fitba' fans. :)

If you sheep-shaggers knew anything about the Scottish shale industry, then you would know how important West Calder and West Lothian in general was during the 19th and 20th centuries. My maternal ancestors worked in it. - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Calder)

gersforme
07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
what an ignorant basturd of a post from the OP, i'm amazed he was deemed intelligent enough to pass a driving test.

1995_Oh_My_Sides_
07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
If it wasn't for oil Aberdeen would be a Paisley with water.

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM

If you've ever been to Torry it makes Paisley look like Beverly Hills.

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
07-01-2014, 11:28 AM

If you've ever been to Torry it makes Paisley look like Beverly Hills.[/quote]

Torry's a fine area full of salt of the earth types.

Would be middle class if it was situated in Glesga. >:)

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
07-01-2014, 11:30 AM
what an ignorant basturd of a post from the OP, i'm amazed he was deemed intelligent enough to pass a driving test.

I've missed this side of you Gers.

It wizna quite right seeing you sook Aiberdeen boaby. >:)

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 11:31 AM

Would be middle class if it was situated in Glesga. >:)[/quote]

You and I both know that's a lot of shyte, Dingle. For one of the riches cities in Britain to have that amount of poverty and desolation contained within it, is quite frankly, a disgrace. :blue:

blanche
07-01-2014, 12:13 PM

If it wasn't for Aberdeen the central belt would be like Saudi without the oil - featureless landscapes,indecipherable language and full of intolerant, religious fanatics.

You lot should be much,much more grateful.

blanche
07-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Danny,I have to disagree.

Compared to Possil,Ruchazie,Govanhill,Govan,Cranhill etc,Torry is heaven.

And let's not bring North Ayrshire into it.

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 12:16 PM

If it wasn't for Aberdeen the central belt would be like Saudi without the oil - featureless landscapes,indecipherable language and full of intolerant, religious fanatics.

[/quote]

That actually sounds a lot like Partick.

1995_Oh_My_Sides_
07-01-2014, 12:36 PM

"And let's not bring North Ayrshire into it".

>:)

Dirty_Dingus_Magee
07-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Would be middle class if it was situated in Glesga. >:)[/quote]

You and I both know that's a lot of shyte, Dingle. For one of the riches cities in Britain to have that amount of poverty and desolation contained within it, is quite frankly, a disgrace. :blue:[/quote]

You've go to stop diving in Danny. >:)

You are right to an extent. Scotland as a country shouldn't have the amount of poverty that it does, that's why I'm voting Yes.

gersforme
07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Partick is a fine loyalist area, loads of great boozers, fine eateries and local activities, on the opposite scale we have the beacon of republicanism which is royston :O

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Possil and Ruchazie have mostly been flattened and rebuilt. Govanhill is full of asylum seekers, and it's been a few years since I was in Govan.

Agreed about Cranhill though, the place is completely bonkers. Probably the only scheme in Glasgow I wouldn't go to.

It's like the Wild West at times.

gersforme
07-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Govan is a shytehole, full of sellik fans, a former industrial town ran by bluenoses too, now gone the way of all sellik hovels :blue:

blanche
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
All joking aside,I was gob*****ed when I saw those places first time.

Nobody should have to live like that...well,almost nobody :)

But is it the place that makes the people or the people that make the place?

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
All joking aside,I was gob*****ed when I saw those places first time.

Nobody should have to live like that...well,almost nobody :)

But is it the place that makes the people or the people that make the place?

Where in particular?

gersforme
07-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I'd rather live in a glesga shytehoose than a soulless aberdeen studio flat far from my ain folk just cos of oil money, what a phucking freezing seagull shoite ridden city

1995_Oh_My_Sides_
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
I'd rather live in a glesga shytehoose than a soulless aberdeen studio flat far from my ain folk just cos of oil money, what a phucking freezing seagull shoite ridden city

10/10

blanche
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
It was 20 years ago so it probably has changed(I hope for the better) - Possil and Ruchazie

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
It was 20 years ago so it probably has changed(I hope for the better) - Possil and Ruchazie

They have been completely flattened and rebuilt.

1995_Oh_My_Sides_
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM

They have been completely flattened and rebuilt.[/quote]

They done that with Feegie Park 25 year ago. It's away as bad as ever again. You can change the hooses, but you can't change the people.

tarapoa
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
West Calder is a fine wee toon. More than enough boozers for its size. It has a pretty evenly balanced mixture of fitba' fans. :)

If you sheep-shaggers knew anything about the Scottish shale industry, then you would know how important West Calder and West Lothian in general was during the 19th and 20th centuries. My maternal ancestors worked in it.

OK ClaudeBalls - thanks for the pointer on West Calder - the place maybe does have some substance, and anywhere on a cold dreich day can look miserable.

However, that same Wiki page also threw up this...

West Calder also has a Masonic Hall which is home to Lodge Thistle number 270 of the Roll of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The hall is also home to the West Calder chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Clearly there is a whole underworld of tickly handshakes and apron-wearing that I'm still unfamiliar with.

BertrandRussell
07-01-2014, 01:27 PM
There are areas in all Scottish towns and cities that resemble third world hovels. Aberdeen has some of the biggest jakeballs in the entire country.

DannyBhoy
07-01-2014, 01:32 PM

They have been completely flattened and rebuilt.[/quote]

They done that with Feegie Park 25 year ago. It's away as bad as ever again. You can change the hooses, but you can't change the people.[/quote]

I played in Feegie Park at football a right few years ago, in the under 16s Paisley and District Cup. We went 3-0 up in the first 15 mins, and the hatred towards us was unbelievable. Everyone was shyte scared to go and take a corner, it was mental. XD

If we had scored another goal in that atmosphere I'd doubt we would have got out of Paisley alive.

Mook1
07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I played Fitba at the Jack Kane centre in Niddrie once & they checked the pitch for needles first... FFS :D

blanche
07-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Absolute crap.

We have some "bad areas",but they never amount to more than 2 or 3 streets,at most.

Even these have been greatly improved by the Eastern Europeans who seem to actually seem to care about their council hoose.

Nothing compared to the other big cities in Scotland.

Hibees
07-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Needed to go to Inverkeithing on my way to the game from Aberdeenshire yesterday, so as a consequence to get to Rugby Park, drove this road for the first time in my life.

What an interesting experience of central belt schemieness this was.

I already knew from bitter experience that Livingston was a depressing hole, but all the other places were almost unknown to me - West Calder, Newmains, Bonkle (!), Overtown, Stonehouse, Darvel, Galston...has anything of note happened in any of these places?

Dodgy looking kebab shops, boarded up premises and dilapidated council-style housing seemed to dominate...I never realised so much of the third world still existed within Scotland.

I'd heard of Strathaven though and it didn't seem that bad - but almost ended up in Larkhall, which I've heard is a disturbing experience for anyone.

Are these the kind of towns that breed all these sellik and Sevco muppets?

And you didn't like American Hustle.

BertrandRussell
07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Aberdeen, where the streets are paved with gold.

XD

revolutionaryred
07-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Aberdeen, where the streets are paved with gold.

XD

Aye black gold. :star: :star:

Thank f*ck I was born in Aberdeen. B)