PDA

View Full Version : Immigration in the numbers we've had over the last 15 years.

Mangosmate
08-01-2014, 11:42 PM
A good thing for this country?
Do immigrants help themselves or the country overall?
Can we cope with the amount?
Should they receive any kind of benefit without "putting in to the kitty" ?
Do you think we're a soft touch?
Is it Xenophobic to be concerned about immigrants and the impact on the country?
Do we owe migrants from countries we once occupied?

Yay or Nay ?

Yours thoughts please. ;D

betalucky
09-01-2014, 08:50 AM
And the numbers in the last 15 years are??? (*see below)

Anyway:

Not sure
Yes, not sure
Yes
No
No
Not necessarily
Not now

Supplementary questions:

Over the same period, we have had net EMIGRATION by British citizens.

A good thing for this country?
Do emigrants help themselves or the country overall? (Either benefitting the UK or the host country or both?)
Is there a negative impact of British emigration? Can we cope with the amount?
Should they receive any kind of UK benefit later without "putting in to the kitty" while they are abroad?
Do you think we're a soft touch for returning British migrants?
Is it Xenophobic to be concerned about emigrants and the impact on the country?
Do we owe emigrants anything after they decide to leave?

*Net immigration over that period was 2.5 Million. Net emigration of UK citizens was over 1 Million.

lovedeanblue
09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't think any Immigrants should be able to take anything from the UK Benefit system unless they have contributed. I was amazed in Farlington Sainsburys yesterday how many East European car cleaners were plying their trade. If they work that's ok, if they don't return them to whence they originated from. As for returning expats, they chose to emigrate. When it all goes wrong, as often it has in Spain for instance, they automatically think they can return and start claiming. Not on for me, no one asked or forced them to go. Plenty to discuss, as there always is, when the Truss reconvenes next Monday at 1400 in the Guildhall Spoons.

betalucky
09-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the tip on where to get the car cleaned properly. I haven't seen a bob-a-jobber offering to do that for decades, is bob-a-job still allowed or did the Savile tendency force them off the streets?

Is your main question really about immigration, or about benefits? You sam to have quickly focussed on the latter, whereas the majority of immigrants and returning emigrants wouldn't fall in to that category..

lovedeanblue
09-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Bob a Job is long gone sadly. :blue:

chiblu
09-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Bob a Job is long gone sadly. :blue:

I remember toiling long and hard for my "bob".

*****philes weren't invented in my day.

betalucky
09-01-2014, 03:00 PM
So now you have a lot of eastern Europeans doing bob-a-job in supermarket car parks so the kids can play X-box unmolested.

The hidden benefits of immigration.

TurktownAnt
12-01-2014, 03:56 AM
I don't think the level and nature of immigration that the UK is experiencing is very good. I want it to stop. There, I've said it.

ForeverPompey
12-01-2014, 11:15 AM
i agree with Ant

pompeygun
12-01-2014, 02:24 PM
So do I.
I'm not sure what Emigration has to do with Immigration tbh. This thread is about numbers in or so I thought. :blue:

tamarblue
12-01-2014, 03:33 PM
A very confusing subject and one that the political parties use to gain votes and justify actions. I have attached an article with 6 - fiscal impacts making interesting reading.
What the article doesn't cover is the perceived impact on British cultural identify and how all these migrants are changing our culture. But when you look at our history as a nation our Britishness has been created by migrants/invaders for the last couple of thousand years we have Roman,Viking, Germanic Saxon, French Norman, Danish, Scott's, Welsh and Irish blood in most of our genetic make up. - view external link (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ben-mitchell/seven-facts-everyone-should-know-about-immigration_b_2336341.html)

chrisF
13-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, if you don't like it then you'll have to vote Tory in the next election to have any chance of a referendum to leave the EU. Of course, Cameron may well renege on that like he did with the last promise.
...Unless he can persuade the EU to change its policy (LOL)

Personally don't have a problem with immigration as such, just the scale of it in the UK. We are a magnet, not least because English is many people's second language.

betalucky
14-01-2014, 03:44 PM
So do I.
I'm not sure what Emigration has to do with Immigration tbh. This thread is about numbers in or so I thought. :blue:

If it's only about total numbers of people, then emigration has everything to do with it. If the number of emigrants equals the number of immigrants, then there is no problem with numbers. But I don't think many people would think that's the only issue.

If it's only about people IN, and excluding people OUT, well 14% of people coming in are returning Brits so definitely part of the discussion, while the majority of people going OUT are foreigners going home or onward to another country (i.e. not all immigrants stay for long), so again definitely part of the discussion.

If it's about people claiming benefits, then I think most people would agree that "benefits tourism" shouldn't be allowed, but my understanding is that we Brits are terrible for that, and Brits returning from abroad are often doing so beca

Mangosmate
14-01-2014, 04:20 PM
So do I.

If it's only about total numbers of people, then emigration has everything to do with it. If the number of emigrants equals the number of immigrants, then there is no problem with numbers. But I don't think many people would think that's the only issue.

If it's only about people IN, and excluding people OUT, well 14% of people coming in are returning Brits so definitely part of the discussion, while the majority of people going OUT are foreigners going home or onward to another country (i.e. not all immigrants stay for long), so again definitely part of the discussion.

If it's about people claiming benefits, then I think most people would agree that "benefits tourism" shouldn't be allowed, but my understanding is that we Brits are terrible for that, and Brit

philfridge
14-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Until Blair allowed open door immigration ,the situation was fine. However, post Blair it is now wholly apparent unless you are some politically correct leftie, there are simply too any people in the uk...or at least too many for the health and education service to cope with, too many for the job market and too many for the available housing stock. Until that situation changes i would let no one in with the possible exception of those from the old commonwealth...we plundered their countries so perhaps we owe them.
Unfortunately the labour party and the lib dems will do nothing to change the current situation. As a labour supporter for the best part of my adult life it pains me to say so,but UKIP are the only party who will do anything to rectify matters, i hope they form an allegiance with the tories and i never thought i'd wish for another tory government.

pompeygun
14-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Certainly wasn't fine. When Labour came to power in 97 there was already a missing 100k immigrants IIRC.

betalucky
16-01-2014, 11:53 AM
So do I.

If it's about people claiming benefits, then I think most people would agree that "benefits tourism" shouldn't be allowed, but my understanding