PDA

View Full Version : Today's game - a synopsis

Jim
11-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Erm... we were crap but so were they!

That's all that can be said, really.

Prinz_Eugen
11-01-2014, 09:32 PM
That's depressing given the new players. Oxford can afford to be crap. The bottom of the table tells the true story. The lack of posts here tells another. Even scum haven't opened a thread on our dire situation.

Jim
11-01-2014, 09:44 PM
If you want to put a positive swing on it:

- We kept another clean sheet and never looked like conceding barring one good chance for Oxford where the guy should have squared it to an unmarked player yards out for a tap in rather than putting it wide.

- Nicky Shorey and Daniel Alfei looked good and a class above some of other players we have. Sonny Bradley also played really well.

- It seems like Barker is going to try and build this side from the back. I'm confident that we can fight our way to safety if we keep getting clean sheets.

If you want the negatives:

- Jed Wallace was really poor. I hope his suitors were watching him today because they would have been put off. Believes his own hype too much, perhaps?

- Ryan Taylor has already been labelled a "**** Dave Kitson" because he looks and plays like him, only with a poorer first touch. He could well become the latest boo boy.

- The way we played today will not be accepted at home. Fans will get frustrated quickly

bluekite
11-01-2014, 10:16 PM
The back four looked solid enough and never really looked troubled, Carson made one routine save about 2 minutes from time. Anything into the box via the aerial route was comfortably headed away. However, we most definitely don't have the idea that we then pick up second phase ball...it didn't happen at all.
It would appear all of the training eggs have gone into the defensive basket, maybe they will do attacking next week in training, not one shot on target. Still oak trees from acorns and all that, today was maybe an acorn beginning to germinate.

lovedeanblue
11-01-2014, 10:18 PM
I enjoyed my day out which started with an excellent lunch with my family. It was great to renew acquaintance with Corky and meet Kitey, albeit briefly, in the bogs after the game ;D I have to say I was disappointed with Pompey, although yes we did keep a clean sheet. I agree with what Jim said in regard to our new players. I liked Alfei a lot, I was relieved he wasn't sent off towards the end. Rose of Oxford should have gone earlier than that so I don't see how United can complain if indeed they do. Only the first game for Taylor admittedly but what we saw doesn't augur well. Hard working yes but not a lot more from what I saw today or have heard from a reliable Bristol source. I hope I am proved wrong but despite him scoring goals when at Rotherham, I don't see him (or Bird) being the answer to our goal scoring problems. The midfield didn't look creating anything, Wallace looks a shadow of the player he was. To be fair though he's not a left winger for me. As for our goal scoring wo

Scoular1
12-01-2014, 12:11 AM
One point off relegation spot.
We were better off under Guy ffs

PompeyScarf
12-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Very good chance we'd have lost under Whittingham yesterday and been even worse off.

Barker's building from the back - clean sheets and more confidence defensively.

ForeverPompey
12-01-2014, 11:11 AM
the only excitement was the scuffle near the end of the game,and the police horses charging round the ground as we were coming out :blue:
Jed didn't seem interested IMO >:(

Corkhead
12-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Maybe the deal is already done and he didn't want to get injured. He looked like a man with his mind on other things. Very disappointing but as Lovedean said in a previous post probably best if he goes now after that.

On the other hand Barks has done what he had to do. Building from the back and making us harder to beat. Hopefully next on the list is getting some creativity in midfield and a cutting edge up front. Around us Ginge was being picked on from the start. A player obviously in need of a confidence boost. Welcome to PFC. Unbelievable.

Scoular1
13-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Very good chance we'd have lost under Whittingham yesterday and been even worse off.

Why he got us a win there earlier in the season,when forwards were scoring...remember the good old days ?

Corkhead
13-01-2014, 08:43 AM
We lost 4-1 at home first game this season against the team we drew 0-0 this Saturday. I know what result I'd rather have and I believe that represents progress.

It's points that matter in our situation not goals.

bluekriss66
13-01-2014, 10:21 AM
That was the first wake up call 4-1 at home in front of a near full house...didn't really get much better after that did it.Having said that i'm sick to death of all the negativity and will always think Pompeys glass ia half full,maybe being naive but i'm not a depressive person by nature and believe there is always light at the end of a dark tunnel.PUP x

Corkhead
13-01-2014, 10:59 AM
James Hayter is training with the club. I used to rate him back in the day - useful combative midfielder with an eye for goal. 33 now but still fit apparently. Anyone who can pass the ball in midfield will be useful and hopefully he would replace Racon whose passing is atrocious. Shorey shaped up well and once he gets rid of what looked like a padded bodywarmer under his shirt will do even better. ;D

BlueAdder
13-01-2014, 11:51 AM
James Hayter has played in Championship, Lg1 & Lg2 and has scored 165 goals in 659 appearances. That's a goal every 4 games. But he's 33 not 23. :blue:

KENWRIGHT
13-01-2014, 12:03 PM
James Hayter has played in Championship, Lg1 & Lg2 and has scored 165 goals in 659 appearances. That's a goal every 4 games. But he's 33 not 23. :blue:

It's not Hayter..it's Harper..
And 2 others as well..;D

BlueAdder
13-01-2014, 12:43 PM

It's not Hayter..it's Harper..
And 2 others as well..;D[/quote]

James Harper 31 goals from 452 appearances. That's a goal every 14 games, should've stuck with Hayter.:D
Harpers 33 as well. :blue:

Corkhead
13-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Feckin knowalls. You know what I meant. :D

He aint a goalscorer - he's a defensive midfielder so what has goals got to do with it? Even so compare his record with Racon and I know who I'd rather have in the team.

PS Hayter's a corkhead. Must be where the confusion came from.

Scoular1
13-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Another of Stevie Coppells old boys on a last pay day.

Corkhead
13-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Yep, just like Shorey who had a good game Saturday.

Coppell. Someone with Premiership nous and contacts involved with the club. Long may it continue.

KENWRIGHT
13-01-2014, 02:36 PM
And maybe not the last one with a Reading connection...;D
Hope springs eternal...

chiswickmart
13-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Harper once joined us for a game of Friday lunchtime footy at the Madejski training dome. Don't think he ever broke into a run, but never wasted a pass. Reminded me of Mick Fillery.

I believe that's pretty much all he does in real football now too.

Scoular1
13-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Yep, just like Shorey who had a good game Saturday.

Coppell. Someone with Premiership nous and contacts involved with the club. Long may it continue.

Yes you are correct as always