PDA

View Full Version : Alan Biley...

lovedeanblue
11-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Just been appointed No2 at Bedford Town who are struggling in the Premier Div of the Southern League. AFC Totton, Bashley, Poole Town, and Weymouth are in that league. Always a great favourite of mine :star: I wish him well

bluekite
12-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Agreed Lovedean, always a favourite of mine too, I think he comes from Leighton Buzzard close to where I live. Good luck to him at Bedford... they seem to struggle these days, they always used to be a good non league team.
Isn't it strange how so many county towns have totally crap football teams... Bedford,Lancaster, Cambridge, Worcester,Gloucester,Stafford,Hertford,York, Warwick,Durham,Lincoln,Winchester, even Oxford...any theories ?

midhurstblue
12-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Alan Biley will always be one of my favourite players.

lovedeanblue
12-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Agreed Lovedean, always a favourite of mine too, I think he comes from Leighton Buzzard close to where I live. Good luck to him at Bedford... they seem to struggle these days, they always used to be a good non league team.
Isn't it strange how so many county towns have totally crap football teams... Bedford,Lancaster, Cambridge, Worcester,Gloucester,Stafford,Hertford,York, Warwick,Durham,Lincoln,Winchester, even Oxford...any theories ? Not large Towns or Cities population wise would be my suggestion ? Talking of Oxford not a very large crowd at the Kassam for a team in a lofty position, if our large following hadn't been there yesterday.

bluekite
12-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Isn't it strange how so many county towns have totally crap football teams... Bedford,Lancaster, Cambridge, Worcester,Gloucester,Stafford,Hertford,York, Warwick,Durham,Lincoln,Winchester, even Oxford...any theories ? Not large Towns or Cities population wise would be my suggestion ? Talking of Oxford not a very large crowd at the Kassam for a team in a lofty position, if our large following hadn't been there yesterday.[/quote]
True they dont have big populations but neither do the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Fleetwood,Crawley etc. Conversely it has always puzzled me how Bristol can't seem to support a successful team. Lack of footballing tradition I suppose.

lovedeanblue
12-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Isn't it strange how so many county towns have totally crap football teams... Bedford,Lancaster, Cambridge, Worcester,Gloucester,Stafford,Hertford,York, Warwick,Durham,Lincoln,Winchester, even Oxford...any theories ? Not large Towns or Cities population wise would be my suggestion ? Talking of Oxford not a very large crowd at the Kassam for a team in a lofty position, if our large following hadn't been there yesterday.[/quote]
True they dont have big populations but neither do the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Fleetwood,Crawley etc. Conversely it has always puzzled me how Bristol can't seem to support a successful team. La

Shallow_Hal
13-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info LDB. The ground is a couple of miles from me and the players and staff always go into the bar after the game. I look forward to having a chat with one of my all time favourites. I wonder if I will say something really stupid!

BTW regarding your comments on county clubs. Bedford is very much a rugby town and the football club died in the 60's and reformed a few years back.

lovedeanblue
14-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Cheers my friend. My eldest son and I said hello to Alan at Portman Rd many years ago when we all watched Pompey hammered there. He had fond memories of his time at Fratton, The ladies certainly loved him ;D

geoffp
14-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info LDB. The ground is a couple of miles from me and the players and staff always go into the bar after the game. I look forward to having a chat with one of my all time favourites. I wonder if I will say something really stupid!

BTW regarding your comments on county clubs. Bedford is very much a rugby town and the football club died in the 60's and reformed a few years back.

But wasn't the demise of The Eagles largely due to Charlie Wells selling off the ground? Apart from the fact that the club was bust, of course.

bluekite
14-01-2014, 12:53 PM

But wasn't the demise of The Eagles largely due to Charlie Wells selling off the ground? Apart from the fact that the club was bust, of course.[/quote]
Has an interesting history... see link below - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Town_F.C.)

BileysThere
14-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Apart from the Oxford game when he scored those headers and a game against Grimsby when he came on as sub and turned the game, i loved his humour against Blackburn when he caught the ball between his knees and went on a mazy waddle. :D
That moment will stick with me forever as it was so funny at the time.