PDA

View Full Version : Zele Ismail

essexwolf
12-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Just watched highlights of his debut for Burton, came on with 20 minutes left and set up 2 goals.
I know its a lower level, but I think this could be a good move for his development.

greystone16
12-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Quite agree,he waltzed round the back so easily and put in telling crosses. I still think he can make it for us and seeing some of the basement grounds and facilities may get him to work hard to get back in the groove.

wolves71
09-02-2014, 03:11 PM
As pointed out by abbo in the other matches thread, Ismail scored the winner for Burton in their league game against Morecambe, his goal in the link below. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-feT5aGLiI)

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Every highlight I've watched of Burton since he's gone there has shown he's a bit above them. On another Wolves forum, a poster talked to some Burton fans on another forum and they said he's one of the best they've ever seen in a Burton shirt.

wolves71
09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
With the goal he wasn't afraid to try his luck and put it low in an area where the keeper couldn't get to it. The pitch looked about as good as Murrayfield yesterday for the Scotland v England six nations game.

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 03:34 PM
He was supposed to be the wonderkid what seems to be a decade ago now, if he was any good and I've said this numerous times before on this board he would f done it by now another one who will IMO never realise his early potential, its a regular occurrence in the professional game.
You ain't good enough for Wolves Zele and truth be told never were.

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 04:40 PM
He's barely 20 years old. Still plenty of time to make a player of himself. Expectations shroud our opinion of him. McAlinden is older than Zeli and yet some salivate over the unproven striker. Difference is, Ismail has had huge expectations for a long time whereas McAlinden is only coming to our notice within the last 2 years. Neither are shoo-ins for the future, but I like the potential of both. Liam has looked solid in his time on the pitch. Zeli has had some good moments too.

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
He's barely 20 years old. Still plenty of time to make a player of himself. Expectations shroud our opinion of him. McAlinden is older than Zeli and yet some salivate over the unproven striker. Difference is, Ismail has had huge expectations for a long time whereas McAlinden is only coming to our notice within the last 2 years. Neither are shoo-ins for the future, but I like the potential of both. Liam has looked solid in his time on the pitch. Zeli has had some good moments too.

I'm basing what I'm saying on having watched the players under discussion a number of times not on any other criteria! Mich I do know as do others what we are talking about especially being able to watch a subject first hand !!

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 06:05 PM

I'm basing what I'm saying on having watched the players under discussion a number of times not on any other criteria! Mich I do know as do others what we are talking about especially being able to watch a subject first hand !![/quote]

But what about others who have watched him and their reports contradict yours? I'm not arguing he's ready to be a Wolves player now, just that we shouldn't rule him out j

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 06:13 PM

I'm basing what I'm saying on having watched the players under discussion a number of times not on any other criteria! Mich I do know as do others what we are talking about especially being able to watch a subject first hand !![/quote]

But what about others who have watched him and their reports contradict yours? I'm not arguing he's ready to be a Wolves

wolves71
09-02-2014, 06:17 PM

But what about others who have watched him and their reports contradict yours? I'm not arguing he's ready to be a Wolves

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 07:03 PM
OK fair comment I'd welcome anyone who has seen him play over the last couple of year's comments, but as I 've said If he was gonna be anything like he would of shown it by now, a la Owen ,Giggs Rooney, Beckham ,he just ain't all that Mich believe me!!

Oh I don't think he's got a chance to be the level of those players. If he were, one of the bigger clubs would have snatched him up already. I think a Jarvis level player is his ceiling with a good League One player being his floor. If he ends up being a good Championship player, I'd be happy with that. It would be a disappointment considering his early hype, but with some objectivity, that's still a solid product of the academy.

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 07:36 PM
OK fair comment I'd welcome anyone who has seen him play over the last couple of year's comments, but as I 've said If he was gonna be anything like he would of shown it by now, a la Owen ,Giggs Rooney, Beckham ,he just ain't all that Mich believe me!!

Oh I don't think he's got a chance to be the level of those players. If he were, one of the bigger clubs would have snatched him up already. I think a Jarvis level player is his ceiling with a good League One player being his floor. If he ends up being a good Championship player, I'd be happy with that. It would be a disappointment considering his early hype, but with some objectivity, that's still a solid product of the academy.[/quote]

MaCalinden is my great hope Mich as I and my bretheren long for the big tall striker of old Wolves were famous for a certain style of play and it paid dividends we always played two wingers and

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Break me down by all means but a prospective 100 million Prodigy doesn't normally need to go out on loan TWICE as I've said previously Jarvis and Kightly at the same age would P1$$ all over him he isn't that good!

Woking88
09-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Break me down by all means but a prospective 100 million Prodigy doesn't normally need to go out on loan TWICE as I've said previously Jarvis and Kightly at the same age would P1$$ all over him he isn't that good!

Going out on loan twice is nothing compared to some players. He needs first-team experience. He won't get that at Wolves, so he has to go out on loan to develop.

Forget the 100 million prodigy, that is just journo-hype. As for comparisons with Jarvis and Kightly, he is neither of those and neither you or I are in a position to assess his development requirements.

He may turn out to be a superstar and then again, he may not. Whatever the case, I would think the club are doing what is best for his development.

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Different players develop at different rates. Rickie Lambert was thought of highly as a youngster and made his second tier debut with Blackpool at the age of 17. Then he moved onto Macclesfield and Stockport county and only scored 26 goals over his next 142 league games (a majority played in the third tier). Not a great line for a striker. Most probably thought he found his level in his early 20s. Had a very good year with Rochdale in League Two, then got signed by Bristol and had a mediocre year in League Two with 8 goals in 36 games, then a solid year with 13 goals. After that he took off and had 4 straight years with 20 goals, one of those seasons in the Championship. Had 15 goals in the Prem last year and has 8 so fa

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 08:49 PM

Different players develop at different rates. Rickie Lambert was thought of highly as a youngster and made his second tier debut with Blackpool at the age of 17. Then he moved onto Macclesfield and Stockport county and only scored 26 goals over his next 142 league games (a majority played in the third tier). Not a great line for a striker. Most probably thought he found his level in his early 20s. Had a very good year with Rochdale in League Two, then got signed by Bristol and had a mediocre year in League Two with 8 goals in 36 games, then a solid year with 13 goals. After that he took off and had 4 straight years with 20 goals, one of those seasons in the Championship.

Woking88
09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Just what Mich and I have been saying:- - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/ocnn9mr)

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Different players develop at different rates. Rickie Lambert was thought of highly as a youngster and made his second tier debut with Blackpool at the age of 17. Then he moved onto Macclesfield and Stockport county and only scored 26 goals over his next 142 league games (a majority played in the third tier). Not a great line for a striker. Most probably thought he found his level in his early 20s. Had a very good year with Rochdale in League Two, then got signed by Bristol and had a mediocre year in League Two with 8 goals in 36 games, then a solid year with 13 goals. After that he took off and had 4 straight years with 20 go

MichiganWolf
09-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Luckily he doesn't need to set transfer records and move onto play for the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Inter to be considered a success for Wolves.

Evewolf65
09-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Just what Mich and I have been saying:-

Cool Wokes tell me when he's a first team regular, then I might Listen! :zzz:

wolves71
09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
So far on loan at Burton he has started two games and been sub in three. He scored after coming on as sub, took his goal well. I think Burton want to extend his loan period and to be fair, it's probably best for him at this stage of his career. He's not going to get game time at Wolves. He may come back next season and challenge for a starting place..who knows?

darren62
10-02-2014, 04:18 AM

But what about others who have watched him and their reports contradict y

greystone16
10-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I have watched him for some years but I think there was too much hype about him which has always put him under pressure.There is no doubt he has talent but certainly at this stage he isn't a world beater but could become a quality player,as has been said,along the lines of Jarvis.He may need to sever links with us as did Sam Winnall and go and play week in week out to progress further. On loan doesn't give that much meaning as you aren't really part of the Club if you get what I mean.

Wolfiebill
10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I think its interesting looking at the rates people develop and also when they've "peaked". No two players / people are the same and we all respond to different management / stimulae in different ways and at different times in our life.

You only have to look at Leon Clarke - personally if you'd have told me he would back in Wolves shirt a year ago, I'd have nominated you for psychiatric assessment.

abbobrom
10-02-2014, 07:30 PM
A certain Spurs winger who is also now staring for England has been out on loan ten times! David Beckham had a loan spell at Preston and he hasn't done to bad.

wycombewolf
10-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I know he's only young, and has time to mature, but I find myself alternatively impressed, then underwhelmed by Zele's performances so far.

Earlier in the season I watched him leave defenders for dead and seemingly create space from nowhere before getting his crosses in. After a few games he couldn't even beat the first man in a one on one, even when he had numerous opportunities, and as a result didn't contribute much to the team at all. So ended his run in the team.

I'd love to see him succeed, but agree with Eve that he's not exactly set the world on fire to date. He's a bit of a victim of Chris Evans 100 mill hype, but I felt he was given the chance to shine at the beginning of the season, but for me he didn't. Obviously I don't see him in training, but I do ask myself if KJ would have bought two wingers in if Zele is on the verge of a breakthrough.

I hope that this loan will re-ignite something, but that's a hope not an expectation.

Woking88
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
A certain Spurs winger who is also now staring for England has been out on loan ten times! David Beckham had a loan spell at Preston and he hasn't done to bad.

Well said, Abbo. I have never quite understood why some people can't see the bigger picture.

Evewolf65
11-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Well said, Abbo. I have never quite understood why some people can't see the bigger picture.[/quote]

I can see the bigger picture Wokes , but I also like to think I am a reasonably decent judge of a player and IMO Zele ain't gonna make it at the top level some players just don't realize their potential and I'm afraid to say I think he's one, if he can't get into a third division Wolves side at 20 years old chances are he's found his level already! As I said JMO.

Woking88
11-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Well said, Abbo. I have never quite understood why some people can't see the bigger picture.[/quote]

I can see the bigger picture Wokes , but I also like to think I am a reasonably decent judge of a player and IMO Zele ain't gonna make it at the top level some players just don't realize their potential and I'm afraid to say I think he's one, if he can't get into a third division Wolves side at 20 years old chances are he's found his level already! As I said JMO.[/quote]

Don't take it too personally, Eve. You could very well be right about Zele, I am not the Oracle.

I remember having conversations with the guy I used to travel to Wolves with who was not only very knowledgeab

Evewolf65
11-02-2014, 05:24 PM

I can see the bigger picture Wokes , but I also like to think I am a reasonably decent judge of a player and IMO Zele ain't gonna make it at the top level some players just don't realize their potential and I'm afraid to say I think he's one, if he can't get into a third division Wolves side at 20 years old chances are he's found his level already! As I said JMO.[/quote]

Don't take it too personally, Eve. You could very well be right about Zele, I am not the Oracle.

I remember having conversations with the guy I used to travel to

wolves71
11-02-2014, 06:47 PM
His loan has been extended till the end of season. It will do him good. Interesting part of the article below is something Jackett mentions regarding youngsters playing and needing first team games before they can really be judged. Last season in loan spells and this season with Wolves and now with Burton on loan he is gaining experience. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/ng2np9a)

Woking88
12-02-2014, 02:01 AM

I remember having

wolves71
19-02-2014, 10:18 PM
I was just looking at Burton's result from last night. Ismail scored again in their 1-1 draw with Rochdale, reacted well to score the rebound. Also showed his skill just after his goal down the right. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfhZf7rYIE)