PDA

View Full Version : Swindon?

gaz1959
18-01-2014, 06:46 AM
We all know it isn't the best place to live and is not a contender for Culteral Excelence. But it has a lot to offer if you look for it and caters for everyones needs at varying levels.

I was born here but my parents weren't. the moved here due to my fathers employment needs. Mt mother is grom Greenwhich and my father was from Woodford but origonally from small Welsh village called Cwm Park. My grandparents are from France; Southern Ireland; Canada - and this is as far as my knowledge goes so what else is in the mix fek knows

Over many years I have had to endure people from other parts of the country who have moved here for work, as did my parents.

Why o why do they feel the need to constantly take every opportunity to slag Swindon off. Some of them have had children here too. So what impression does that give to their sprogs as you need to feel proud of who you are and where you are from.

Their is one girl from a village near Cambridge who uses every opportunity most recently. I h

lazaat
18-01-2014, 07:18 AM
My parents, all my grandparents and great grandparents and even further back were born in Southern Ireland and my parents moved to Swindon for work, i am the eldest child so i am the first to be English and a Swindonian! I was born in the Old Victorian hospital gaz and spent my childhood in Mordedon. In those days Swindon was a smallish Town and the Penhill estate wasn't yet built, Greenmeadow were still fields and we used to play in those fields as kids! West Swindon was just farms and Walcot was being built about that time and Nythe Eldene etc were not yet built. Most of the Town seemed to work in the Railway works which has long since closed down and most families seemed to spend every hot weekend at Coate Water in the summer, we loved going there as kids and in those days there was an outside swimming pool, a paddling pool (now a sand pit) lots of swings and childrens play equipment and the lake was teeming with pleasure boats now all long since gone. I remember there was 3 large c

gaz1959
18-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Hi Laz

first of all I have to appologise for my appauling spelling and grammer (it is early and this laptop is playing up and makes typing very tiresome)

I bet it was as good as it sounds Laz B)

Swindon is renowned for industry to include the railway; tobacco; and taylors (remeber the huge textile facotry by the tunnel from town to ferndale laz? appointed to the Queen too); Rover cars; Plessey; Square D; Intel; Burmah Castrol;

A lot of companies moved their head offices here and we saw a different aspect to the community with the white collar workers

The railway in its hayday employed 13,000 peolple.

Origonally a Pig market Town hence SWINEDON

Also see link for Swindon and Doomsday book

My father worked at plessey in accounts and spent a lot of time globe trotting

I class my self as Swindonian too Laz. I have snapped at folk in the past laz and no doubt will do it again

I have not always lived in Swindon myself and I have never criticised the places where I lived to the

claw84
19-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Swindon gave us Melinda Messenger ;D

gaz1959
20-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Swindon gave us Melinda Messenger ;D

Don't forget Diana Dors ;D

Gilbert O'Sullivan

XTC

SuperTramp

Moody Blues

Richard Jeffries

John Trollope

Laz Harding

CalumBusStop - view external link (http://jasperfforde.com/swindonites.html)

gaz1959
20-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Barry Briggs

Martin Ashby

Phil Crump

Lord David Stoddart - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Swindon)

lazaat
21-01-2014, 06:36 AM
You forgot Sir Don Rogers and gaz Evans :star: :star: :star:

gaz1959
21-01-2014, 07:41 AM
You forgot Sir Don Rogers and gaz Evans :star: :star: :star:

>:) >:) >:) Well spotted Laz >:)

claw84
21-01-2014, 12:27 PM
All part of the rich fabric of England. :D

gaz1959
21-01-2014, 09:49 PM
All part of the rich fabric of England. :D

Is that note of sarcasm in your post Claw?

XD

gaz1959
21-01-2014, 09:52 PM
ooo just remembered 007 author, Ian Flemming, is buried on the outslkirts in a humble grave in Stanton Fitzwarren - sounds posh dunnit? It is ;D

alfinyalcabo
22-01-2014, 04:51 PM
That reminds me,i haven't visited the Swindon railway museum yet,i will add that to my "to do" list immediately ..B)

Altobelli
22-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Some cracking posts by Gaz and Laz about Swindon in the old days, brilliant to look back at yesteryear, well done lads :star: ;)

callumbustop
23-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the mention Gaz!!

Originally lived in North London until my parents moved to Swindon when my father joined the GWR, when I was around 3. Had a French grandmother and Spanish great grandmother. Lived in Swindon ever since except for 15 years after School when I worked and lived in Derby. Both kids were born in Derby but have stayed in Swindon.

claw84
23-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Portillo's railway jouneys do reveal some amazing fact's about railway town's, well worth a watch.

lazaat
23-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally lived in North London until my parents moved to Swindon when my father joined the GWR, when I was around 3. Had a French grandmother and Spanish great grandmother. Lived in Swindon ever since except for 15 years after School when I worked and lived in Derby. Both kids were born in Derby but have stayed in Swindon.

Hi wroughton, nice to see you back on here again ;D

No doubt after reading this you will be Rammy's best mate, but he will want to know why you dont support the Rams instead of the Robins?

callumbustop
24-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Hi wroughton, nice to see you back on here again ;D

No doubt after reading this you will be Rammy's best mate, but he will want to know why you dont support the Rams instead of the Robins?[/quote]

Hi Lazaat hope you are well. I certainly did watch Derby when I was working there but my heart never strayed from Swindon and particularly pleasing when we got a draw at the Baseball ground and the win at home in the replay in our League Cup winning year!! Some brilliant times though when Cloughie was in charge and the likes of Macfarlan

lazaat
24-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Rammy will love reading that. The 2 of us went down to the new Derby ground recently to watch Derby v Leeds, afterward Rammy took me to where the old Baseball Ground used to be, it is now just a park with some new houses and Rammy was telling me how the ground was laid out in relation to the park and new houses. I unfortunately never went to the Baseball Ground and i am annoyed now that i didnt, but it was sad looking at new houses where once a famous old football ground stood!

Some photos i took below:

http://i43.tinypic.com/70urf6.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/35382s3.jpg

Sorry the photos are side ways but i cant seem to rotate them.

Cheers wroughton

lazaat
24-01-2014, 08:01 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/jiyybr.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hg5iio.jpg