PDA

View Full Version : Southampton FC - a club built on foundations of sand

Prinz_Eugen
18-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Martin Samuel writes a very good piece in today's Mail on Southampton's current uncertainties and the possible future with an owner who may not share her late father's love of football.

For all the hypocritical bluster aimed at Pompey by some of their fans, the reality is that their race for glory is just as much based on potentially difficult monies as ours was. Just because they're in a good position now, there is no certainty that their world will not implode in the next couple of seasons.
They may not enjoy the number of years in the top flight that we did.

Their big advantage over us was that Marcus Liebherr did actually have his own money and a benign disposition towards them.

Brockley_Jack
18-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Get over yourself Jubs. You're boring.

pompeygun
18-01-2014, 10:56 AM
I think he has a point.
>;)

cunninglinguist
18-01-2014, 11:35 AM
'The executive chairman, or chief executive? Well, ostensibly, hea??s in charge; except he never picks the team and his business plan relies entirely on the patronage of a higher authority.'

a??The manager is basically a department head like the others,a?? he told a Leaders in Football conference. With a stunning lack of self-awareness, he forgot that this was all he was, too. He might have been the head of the department heads but he was an employee just the same. It wasna??t his money, he merely acted as if it was.

Those two quotes, from the article, stand out most for me.
The jumped up dwarf has now departed but the money is still there and it will only take another lucky general (easy to draw a comparison between NC and Redknapp, here) and providing the money supply doesn't dry up then they may carry on as they are.
I think the scummers have to worry more about Liebherrs plans for the future than the disappearance of Corteze.

Given our experience, if I were them, I would be

proclaimer
18-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Interesting? I found it a more than a bit disrespectful. Sure the Manager picks the team and yes the owner puts the money in but the owner also wants see their business plan executed and for that they need a CEO. They can say what they like about power etc but Markus put Nicola there to deliver their 5 year plan and it's been executed and delivered. If we now need to move on, then fair enough, but I'm not about to start running Nicola down now that he has gone.

lovedeanblue
18-01-2014, 06:16 PM
[quote="cunninglinguist"]'The executive chairman, or chief executive? Well, ostensibly, hea??s in charge; except he never picks the team and his business plan relies entirely on the patronage of a higher authority.'

a??The manager is basically a department head like the others,a?? he told a Leaders in Football conference. With a stunning lack of self-awareness, he forgot that this was all he was, too. He might have been the head of the department heads but he was an employee just the same. It wasna??t his money, he merely acted as if it was.

Those two quotes, from the article, stand out most for me.
The jumped up dwarf has now departed but the money is still there and it will only take another lucky general (easy to draw a comparison between NC and Redknapp, here) and providing the money supply doesn't dry up then they may carry on as they are.
I think the scummers have to worry more about Liebherrs plans for the future than the disappearance of Cortez

OhWell
18-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Looking more like foundations of gold as they may be about to become the wealthiest club in the Premier League.

proclaimer
19-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Looking more like foundations of gold as they may be about to become the wealthiest club in the Premier League.

There goes the return to our deckchairs! >;)

midhurstblue
21-01-2014, 03:32 PM
The wheels are falling off at St.Fairies. At least we won a major trophy during our time in the top tier, Scum have as usual won nothing and are on the way down again.XD XD

nonsuchmike
26-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, I for one wish Southampton FC every success as they gradually move down the table. They deserve playing in the Premiership if only for the squillions pumped into the club over time.

The big question is: will they actually WIN anything while they are there - even if it is the Anglo - Asian Cup that we did?

B)

johno2499
27-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Unlike us, they have a modern stadium, excellent training facilities and a youth scheme that produces top players (albeit mostly for other clubs).

pompey_smell
29-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Yaaawn!

This'd be funny coming from any other club but from Poopey it's hysterical!

We're talking about a club which dipped it's sticky fingers into the charity pot to pay for its excesses of the past.

Your trophies morally belong to the charities, guys!

BileysThere
29-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Yaaawn!

We're talking about a club which dipped it's sticky fingers into the charity pot to pay for its excesses of the past.

Which of our many Trophies are you on about smellyscummer?

pompeygun
29-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Yaaawn!

Drivel.Typical scumptie reverting to type.

pompey_smell
29-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Drivel.Typical scumptie reverting to type.

LOL! That's amusing, especially when u lot started it! Talk about reverting to type!!

Jealousy is starting to overwhelm you.

pompeygun
30-01-2014, 03:52 PM
I started what exactly??
You're just like the rest of the ill informed morons. Go & attend to your pony ffs.
XD XD XD

Corkhead
30-01-2014, 04:35 PM

What's happened to all that talk about the richest man in China?

Is he still interested or has he flucked off?

chiswickmart
30-01-2014, 04:43 PM
And that wonderful youth team they invest so heavily in?

Whoops, knocked out of the cup at home last night by Charlton!!

Corkhead
30-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Goody.

Jealousy would have overwhelmed me if they had won yet another trophy.