PDA

View Full Version : Bert Williams RIP

bluekite
19-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Former Wolves goalie died aged 93... cup winner in 1949 League title in 1954, 14 seasons with Wolves and 24 England appearances.Part of my football following childhood and back in the days when goalies wore flat caps

Williams was involved in several fundraising campaigns for the Alzheimer's Society after his wife died from the illness in 2002. He received an MBE for services to football and charity in the Queen's Birthday honours list in June 2010

penton
19-01-2014, 06:12 PM
It sums it up when a living legend says he was his hero! Even hero's need hero's!

BlueAdder
19-01-2014, 08:10 PM
That is really sad news for me. I was always a 'goalie' and Bert 'The Cat' Williams was my top hero in the days whens like Swift, Ditchburn, Bartram, Sagar etc. were regular visitors at FP. I was behind the Milton End goal whenever possible.
Remember that Goalies always wore the same socks and shorts as the rest of the team topped off with a green roll neck jumper.
Yellow jumpers were worn for international games. None of these one colour outfits we see today.
Lev Yashin in all black was one of the first to buck the trend.

bluekite
19-01-2014, 09:05 PM
That is really sad news for me. I was always a 'goalie' and Bert 'The Cat' Williams was my top hero in the days whens like Swift, Ditchburn, Bartram, Sagar etc. were regular visitors at FP. I was behind the Milton End goal whenever possible.
Remember that Goalies always wore the same socks and shorts as the rest of the team topped off with a green roll neck jumper.
Yellow jumpers were worn for international games. None of these one colour outfits we see today.
Ah... the green roll neck jumper..happy days Bladds

midhurstblue
21-01-2014, 03:29 PM
I watched Bert Williams at FP several times, and he was undoubtedly one of the best. R.I.P. Bert.

lovedeanblue
21-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Ah... the green roll neck jumper..happy days Bladds[/quote] What about Norman Uprichard Bladds, he wasn't too shoddy was he ?

BlueAdder
21-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Uprichard could be brilliant but was also a little erratic. There were those that said he liked a drink and took to the pitch on more than one occasion when he would have failed a breath test. :D :D

lovedeanblue
21-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Uprichard could be brilliant but was also a little erratic. There were those that said he liked a drink and took to the pitch on more than one occasion when he would have failed a breath test. :D :D Those were the days :star:

robert99
28-01-2014, 11:02 PM
I vaguely remember that on one occasion that Norman had to change ends, as we lost the toss at the match start. Norman had to be physically led to the other end to find it. Brave as a lion, sober or not. some games he was making save after save to keep us in with a slight chance of a 0-0.