PDA

View Full Version : Keeping this board alive

arjan
19-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Chcecking out some other fans sites I can't help they are much livelier than this one. I've been following this and other Latics boards for a long time and occasionally posting. It seems like people are put off posting because if they post anything remotely critical / interesting/ controversial they get abuse from one or two posters and then think- whats's the point ? Have we got agents provocateurs on here who try to bully people off and leave us with days in which nothing goes on. It's all a bit sad.

I've threatened to abandon posting on Wigan websites but I keep finding it hard to resist sharing thoughts - however pointless- with other obsessives. Can we all make an attempt to ignore the self appointed police officers and post with some confidence so that we have a forum that genuinely reflects the wider views of Wigan supporters ?

I'm bracing myself for abuse from the usual suspects but will continue to share my feeble little views.

upthalaticsNo1
19-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Arjan every board has them pal, and not just football forums either. B) Best to ignore them otherwise you will drop to their level and they will beat you with stupidity experience XD XD

wigwham
19-01-2014, 07:27 PM
There not to bad on here imo
Mere *****cats compared to one site's in particulars main bully boy. ;)

arjan
19-01-2014, 07:55 PM
My point is that for some reason loads of people view things but not many post. I'm not exactly a sensitive flower in real life but I like the idea of a Latics fans communtiy thriving. This could be so much livelier. Most of the time it's like a graveyard. Encouragement of the masses needed.

upthalaticsNo1
19-01-2014, 08:09 PM
My point is that for some reason loads of people view things but not many post. I'm not exactly a sensitive flower in real life but I like the idea of a Latics fans communtiy thriving. This could be so much livelier. Most of the time it's like a graveyard. Encouragement of the masses needed. I think social media sites facebook and tw@tter also play a big part to tbh,I seem to remember a convo with Camltoe around a year ago about how many people dropped off this and other footy mad boards, Even the dingles board has dropped in numbers yet it's still the most populated of all the boards.

mistral
19-01-2014, 09:30 PM
My point is that for some reason loads of people view things but not many post. I'm not exactly a sensitive flower in real life but I like the idea of a Latics fans communtiy thriving. This could be so much livelier. Most of the time it's like a graveyard. Encouragement of the masses needed. I think social media sites facebook and tw@tter also play a big part to tbh,I seem to remember a convo with Camltoe around a year ago about how many people dropped off this and other footy mad boards, Even the dingles board has dropped in numbers yet it's still the most populated of all the boards.[/quote]

welcome back uptha XD

laticRMI
19-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I tend to agree with Arjan (you are my all time Wigan athletic hero, by the way :D ). There do seem to be several posters on here who seem to have very little to say, apart from to criticise other posters, who do have something interesting to say. Occasionally, the comments can be abusive, which is what puts people off. However, if we allow these guys to dominate they will kill the board, like an aggressive, malignant cancer. We mustn't let that happen. :s

david12
19-01-2014, 10:47 PM
I am one that years ago I used to post on here but you cant say what you feel as the vultures are waiting to take you down.
I read on here every other day but don't post anymore (apart from this post) as I thought I would say something as you had started the thread on this topic.

I don't post because I can do without the crap (its a shame) I am one I think there are many like me.

So go ahead and slag me off for speaking my mind and prove nothing has changed, I wont be replying to any post good or bad I thought I would just back up your thought's.

regards
DV

arjan
19-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I suppose it could be that Faacbook has attracted a lot ofeople who might have posted on here in the past but i still think there are perhaps 100 people who are interested and would like to share thoughts without being intimidated, abused or bullied.
For those of us who don't live in Wigan anymore but still like to hear what others think and to share our own thoughts this site can be really useful. I've got a busy life and can live without it but urge supporters to post because it's good to have a positive, enthusiastic on line community. It can raise spirits on the tough days and allow groups to share the pleasures.

Join in.

sammons_right_foot
19-01-2014, 11:39 PM
I suppose it could be that Faacbook has attracted a lot ofeople who might have posted on here in the past but i still think there are perhaps 100 people who are interested and would like to share thoughts without being intimidated, abused or bullied.
For those of us who don't live in Wigan anymore but still like to hear what others think and to share our own thoughts this site can be really useful. I've got a busy life and can live without it but urge supporters to post because it's good to have a positive, enthusiastic on line community. It can raise spirits on the tough days and allow groups to share the pleasures.

Join in.

I agree with your points raised. and commend you for your honest view

LeeKoo
19-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Intimidated and bullied ! Really?

By who, and shame em.

Got to agree with the facebook & twitter thing, I think its slowly killing off forums like this, sadly.

Nice to see you back uptha, you don't know where Les is by any chance:D

mistral
20-01-2014, 12:08 AM
how come you uptha disappeared and then suddenly decided to reappear?

upthalaticsNo1
20-01-2014, 01:05 AM
My point is that for some reason loads of people view things but not many post. I'm not exactly a sensitive flower in real life but I like the idea of a Latics fans communtiy thriving. This could be so much livelier. Most of the time it's like a graveyard. Encouragement of the masses needed. I think social media sites facebook and tw@tter also play a big part to tbh,I seem to remember a convo with Camltoe around a year ago about how many people dropped off this and other footy mad boards, Even the dingles board has dropped in numbers yet it's still the most populated of all the boards.[/quote]

welcome back uptha XD[/quote] Thanks Misty :) the reason I can't get on as much is because I changed my job from the building trade to driving trucks long distance so it's harder for me to get on as much these days, I really miss being able to but I

upthalaticsNo1
20-01-2014, 01:09 AM

By who, and shame em.

Got to agree with the facebook & twitter thing, I think its slowly killing off forums like this, sadly.

Nice to see you back uptha, you don't know where Les is by any chance:D Thanks mon, as for Les no idea mate, hope he's alright and nowt's happened to him :s

mint_balls
20-01-2014, 12:23 PM

By who, and shame em.

Nice to see you back uptha, you don't know where Les is by any chance:D Thanks mon, as for Les no idea mate, hope he's alright and nowt's happened to him :s[/quote]

well well looks like you've put your bigoted ***ist homophobic ways behind you Uptha. keep up the good work pal.

SwinleyLatic
20-01-2014, 01:03 PM
well well looks like you've put your bigoted ***ist homophobic ways behind you Uptha. keep up the good work pal.[/quote]

IMO, it's that sillyness and controversy that keeps the board interesting.

If we all thought the same way and had the same opinions there'd be no board at all as it would be pointless posting.

Diversity breeds controversy, you could say.

This board needs it's characters, whatever their opinions.

DoubleWigan
20-01-2014, 06:10 PM
[/quote]This board needs it's characters, whatever their opinions.[/quote]
I think we all agree the board needs its characters but not its serial abusives who hit you with expletives for no real reason. I also agree with Arjan, I read most days but have found the content boring recently. If you want to know where les is these days ask his lad who now posts in his place

Les_bradds_lad
20-01-2014, 06:30 PM
hurrah XD XD

Ihaventaclue
20-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Roberto Martinez has won 11 Premier League matches this season - equalling his previous best managerial tally in a season, set with Wigan in 2011-12.

Well done Wigan!

SwinleyLatic
20-01-2014, 08:45 PM
This board needs it's characters, whatever their opinions.[/quote]
I think we all agree the board needs its characters but not its serial abusives who hit you with expletives for no real reason. I also agree with Arjan, I read most days but have found the content boring recently. If you want to know where les is these days ask his lad who now posts in his place[/quote]

You'd have to be of a nervous disposition and emotionally incontinent to be genuinely upset by the playground expletives and antics on here.
If you want to see real abuse have a mooch thro other club's footie forums.

camltoe
25-01-2014, 10:29 PM
As uptha stated, I reckon twitter and the rest of the social media sites are diverting posters away from the traditional forums, but Footymad don't exactly help matters.

Switch servers and migrate databases on a Friday night before a weekend full of fixtures so nobody can access the site during it's busiest hours.

Switch servers 4 days before Christmas day, so support for the huge cluster **** of problems didn't exist so the forum was down over the full festive period.

One month on and it's only just becoming useable, now people can actually log on and get pages to fully load. I'm no expert in the field, but I'm guessing thats pretty unacceptable. Even now it's ridiculously slow to load.

Poorly formatted adverts that cover text on the forum are commonplace. I'd love to leave them on so the site can get revenue, but they've forced a full on ******* so the site's useable.

Access to web sites is getting to the point where mobile devices are the most popular method, but the mobile