PDA

View Full Version : Drifting aimlessly to relegation

spitfiresi
27-01-2014, 08:50 AM
This is the strangest slump to relegation that I have ever seen in 30+ years of watching the Alex. No one in the pitch seems to care or even grasp the serious position they are in. If we lose on Saturday then I reckon we are down as to stay up we will have to hope the teams below us lose their games in hand which ok could happen but we would have to win at least half our games which I would be amazed at.
I blame SD , he inherited 3 very good players in Powell, Westwood and Murphy. When he has had to build his own team he has come up woefully short. Every player he has brought in , with maybe the exception of Pogba, has underperformed and/or been a disruption. I realise that to replace similar quality would have been near on impossible but for all of his signings to be errors places doubt on his judgement. Even at this stage in the season SD doesn't know his best team!! It was easy to hide behind the Cornwall incident but their has been really no change in points gained since that was f

Timon
27-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Cana??t believe this over-shadows the infamous 20 game winless streak of 2004/5 after we sold just one player of Premiership standard. This time wea??ve disposed of 3 Premiership standard players in the space of 15 months.

I fail to grasp the argument that anyone bar a magician can be replace multi-million pound players by dipping into the non-league market or signing some L2 Bosmans. But thata??s ultimately where our market is given the resources & emphasis on the Academy. Granted (no pun intended) SDa??s signings havena??t been great when judging it overall but as well as Pogs he pulled off the Inman coup & re-signed Chuks. Osman & Ellis have been good too if somewhat inconsistent & I think Grant will turn out to be decent in the end. Additionally SD hasna??t let the grass grow where hea??s made mistakes & players have been quickly moved on.

Bankole
27-01-2014, 04:09 PM
You must be joking surely?! The board don't know who to bring in?? And I suppose you do right?

I could go on for ages about how well Steve Davis has done but all I really need to say is look where we were when he took over and look what we have done since then. And as pointed out above we have lost 3 key players recently too.

Due to work I sadly couldn't go on Saturday and its sounds like a disappointing performance and even more so result. However I did go to every other game around the winter period (Shrewsbury, Wolves, Carlisle, Colchester, Rotherham, Orient, MK Dons etc)and I think overall we played pretty well or very well in most of those games.

Nearly every team has a blip and sadly ours was against a poor team in Tranmere who are also struggling.

I honestly believe without the Cornwall nonsense and the seeming unrest early on we wouldn't be any where near relegation. I mean I honestly can't imagine the team as they are now would have got beaten 3-0 at home tothe likes of St

AlexLeicester
27-01-2014, 04:31 PM
[quote="Bankole"]You must be joking surely?! The board don't know who to bring in?? And I suppose you do right?

I could go on for ages about how well Steve Davis has done but all I really need to say is look where we were when he took over and look what we have done since then. And as pointed out above we have lost 3 key players recently too.

Due to work I sadly couldn't go on Saturday and its sounds like a disappointing performance and even more so result. However I did go to every other game around the winter period (Shrewsbury, Wolves, Carlisle, Colchester, Rotherham, Orient, MK Dons etc)and I think overall we played pretty well or very well in most of those games.

Nearly every team has a blip and sadly ours was against a poor team in Tranmere who are also struggling.

I honestly believe without the Cornwall nonsense and the seeming unrest early on we wouldn't be any where near relegation. I mean I honestly can't imagine the team as they are now would

PAULCAFC
27-01-2014, 05:19 PM
`Entertaining` but still losing most games!

somersetcrewe
27-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Your cup really *is* half empty, Paul, post after post of negativity. Glad you don't run the team! ;D

AlexLeicester
27-01-2014, 05:33 PM
`Entertaining` but still losing most games!

But that's why I am, and have been through the dark days of re-election etc., an Alex fan. If I only wanted success I'd support Chelsea, or Manure, or, heaven forbid, that team in the Potteries.
Entertainment is what it is all about, and I admit that I am more entertained when we win, usually.

I was discussing out parlous state with a Leicester City fan and explained to him that even if we end up in the Conference I would still be a ST holder. He could not take that in at all.

PAULCAFC
27-01-2014, 05:35 PM
i`m p*ssed off because I believe this team should be doing so much better but is`nt, this team is better than Tranmere, Shrews, Stevanage, County, Bristol, Sheff Utd etc etc but has`nt shown it all season, anyhow i`ve been listening to SD every post match on the radio and he is inspiring me!XD XD

itwasin
28-01-2014, 06:42 PM
But SD did at least bring players IN where as DG never brought anyone in and when he got the PUSH we were heading for the Conference before Davies arrived.It would appear that playing Academy Players is more important than staying in Lge 1 or Lge 2 at the moment. Time for a Rethink!

alexmick
28-01-2014, 08:19 PM
I reckon in the games I have seen the Alex play since the Shrewsbury game and from what I have heard from commentary, the team have been performing pretty well, with a few outstanding individual player performances thrown in too. Obviously, they are allowed the odd blip in performance and at least there have been no disasters like the Walsall, Gillingham and Stevenage debacles, so all in all, there is still optimism that the dreaded drop can be avoided. During this time we have also had our fair share of rotten luck, when but for the poor judgment of referees, the team could have picked up several more points. However, when you are down there in the mire, luck seems to desert you.

Having said that, Steve Davis is not beyond criticism over tactical issues such as team selection and the use of substitutes. There are times when it is plainly obvious that Ajay for instance, is just not physically strong enough to withstand the battering being doled out by these massive defenders and st

crewedaft
29-01-2014, 08:56 AM
The team have picked up some good wins in the last few weeks and have moved out of the bottom four for the first time this season. Not sure how this equates to drifting aimlessly towards relegation.

spitfiresi
29-01-2014, 09:06 PM
The team have picked up some good wins in the last few weeks and have moved out of the bottom four for the first time this season. Not sure how this equates to drifting aimlessly towards relegation.

Quite possibly because 3 of the teams below us have played less games? Hence "drifting towards" NOT in a relegation position.

AlexLeicester
30-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Quite possibly because 3 of the teams below us have played less games? Hence "drifting towards" NOT in a relegation position.[/quote]

I think, given the parlous start to the season and the clear and apparent up-turn in attitude since the Cornwall decision and the 'return to the fold' of Inman and Grant, we are, in fact: Drifting purposefully towards survival.

It may be very late in the day, perhaps too late as a result of displays against teams we should have beaten and who we have to face, but the fight is on.

Tranmere away was an aberration (I hope)and will not have swayed the team in their fight for survival.

A little optimism, tinged with practicality, might not go amiss.

ojprice
02-02-2014, 09:46 AM
It wasn't found to be nonsense, there wasn't enough evidence to pursue the case. Don't add your own interpretation when you have no evidence to support it.