PDA

View Full Version : pogba a winger?

Crewe313
01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
First of all a great result.

Second, where do you think pogbas best position is.

Towards the end of last year and on his comeback this year he has been played out wide. I personally think he doesn't hav the pace for a winger and should be played up the middle. However it looks like Steve thinks otherwise.

Wat does everyone think?

Adester
01-02-2014, 07:15 PM
This is one of two things that mystify me about Davis. Poggs should be in the middle, and AJ SHOULD BE ON THE BENCH!!!!!!!!! Why he persists in putting him on is beyond me!

AlexLeicester
01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Valid comment if you feel that way, but surely this is a time to applaud SD for picking a side that demolished a Blades team with some top class players in it - including Brayford.
The Alex tactics soaked up Sheffield pressure and allowed our attack to roam forward.
Today - and I am only writing about today - AJ worked his socks off, and while he will never in my opinion be a target man, he was very effective. Pogs is still getting match fit and he had a great game. His speed will increase in a short time.

Some people may think themselves better managers than SD. I think a 3 - 0 scoreline is a fitting response to them.

Scanners123
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Totally agree with AL. AJ had a great game today, run down everything, and Sheffield only put pressure on us when he came off, and we hadn't got a long ball clearance option. Pogs and Chucks are not the most mobile pairing. Should have taken AJ off for Uche who really puts himself about and looks to get a shot off. Fantastic result again today tho, bring on Bradford.

DaveWoo
02-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Pogs did play a good chunk of last season cutting in from the wing and we (my lad and I) thought he did OK.
I know its all about opinions, but really cannot see how you thought AJ had a good game:
got knocked off the ball all game
took too long to get all his shots off which all got blocked
He did run around a fair bit and to clutch at a positive straw did take the free kick that Chucks scored off, but surely strikers are judged mainly by their goal tally, his 2 for all season is frankly shocking and I hope to God he does not get offered a new contract. If he does leave the acid test will be the level he ends up at next season - I would wager a fair bit it would only be Conference at best.
On the contract front - would like to see Ellis offered something - otherwise we are looking at Dugdale or Ray coming into the team, who haven't merited enough to get into the team this season.

Stealex
02-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Sheffield United had 2 tall and slow centre halves yesterday so the answer in my opinion was to select a tricky and relatively quick striker to get in behind. Could Pogs have done that? I seriously doubt it. Ajay worked their defence hard yesterday and played well. The only real complaint was that he wasn't really a threat on goal.

Adester
02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Poggs holds the ball up well because he's big and strong. He's also very good with his feet so I disagree we didn't need small and nippy we just needed someone good and AJ I'm afraid is not, his goal tally says it all.

Uche can't wait to pull the trigger on goal he needs longer to show what he can do, it's totally pointless giving him literally 5 min at the end.

I know we won 3 - 0 but it could've easily been the other way round as we've seen all season. Take last week for ex ample

Crewe313
02-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I am an ajax fan but I do think you need a quick striker to play alongside chuks. I think it's a shame max isn't fit because playing alongside aneke in the form he is in may have got the the potential we know he all has out of him.

Personally i would like to see uche given a shot as he sounds like he has everything a striker needs in the locker.

With regards to pogs, he comes across as great to hav in the dressing room but as a winger I am not convinced.

However 3 0 to the alex and the table is looking a lot rosier

bigroof
02-02-2014, 10:23 AM
He could play centrally in some circumstances, and obviously hold his own against tough centre-halves, but how would he combine with Chuks? He's always looked better to me, coming off a flank. Obviously he's different in that position, to Byron, and that is what I've always thought about Pogba - he gives the team something different, so I'm not sure he'll ever hold down a single particular position. He lasted the game well, and it's good to have him back.

Ajay runs around into the right positions to combine with Chuks. Hitchcock was slightly better at that, and Max might've been better than both, if he had had more time playing with Chuks within this current pattern. We don't know yet, quite how Ikpeazu will combine with Aneke, but Steve Davis doesn't think he's quite up to the expected fitness levels yet.

DGFG
02-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Interesting comment about the fitness levels - I seem to recall a similar issue for Chuks when he first came here last season.

Makes me wonder about the new Development structure, either the clubs are n't delvering the right training to have players ready to play at League level or there are not sufficient competitive Development games to enable them to obtain the requisite match sharpness.

Maybe I'm being harsh because Uche turned his ankle over soon after he arrived.

I do think, though, that when we loan young players from higher up the pyramid, they should be able to go straight into the team and play the best part of 90 minutes if required.

I wonder if the preposterously long gap in the Development fixture list over Christmas is partly responsible for Uche's predicament?

VindePays2009
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Well done, lads! Sounds as though the off day at Tranmere (where we were still very unlucky with a couple of penalty shouts) has been put firmly behind us.

The key to it may have been standing down Mellor, slightly dozy on that day last week, and playing Toots where he likes to play. It's reassuring to hear that Guthrie stood up to the test well.

It sounds a lot to hope for to get anything at Bradford, but they're on a poor run of form (no win in ten) that began even before they sold Nahki Wells. So here's hoping.

I'd like to see Uche on a lot earlier, just in case his shoot on sight policy were to pay off big time.

alexmick
02-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Fantastic result and performance from the whole team yesterday and it could have easily been 6. I personally don't think that Pogba's best position is on the wing. He is not quick enough and his touch (control) does let him down. I would prefer to see him in the middle. Byron is best suited out wide where Pogs was playing. I know that Ajay worked his socks off, but that is not enough. He misses too many chances, is often muscled off the ball and tends to turn the wrong way when in possession. He should be on the bench.

Star players for me were Chucks (naturally...he brings that ball down to his feet better than any other player we possess), Guthrie, Evans and Grant. Ellis had a good game too. I sincerely hope that the manager's thoughts of bringing in another keeper are purely for back-up purposes and not to knock Garrett from that number one position that he is steadily making his own. He is certainly keeping out the goals, something the team were unable to do when the ot

lestiverton
02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I agree it was good to observe Evans' efforts yesterday. The best I've seen him play.

Regarding goalkeepers, I noticed that our substitute goalie didn't turn out at half-time for a kick-around which made me wonder about his current level of fitness.

SCALLYWAG60
02-02-2014, 08:17 PM
[quote="alexmick"]Fantastic result and performance from the whole team yesterday and it could have easily been 6. I personally don't think that Pogba's best position is on the wing. He is not quick enough and his touch (control) does let him down. I would prefer to see him in the middle. Byron is best suited out wide where Pogs was playing. I know that Ajay worked his socks off, but that is not enough. He misses too many chances, is often muscled off the ball and tends to turn the wrong way when in possession. He should be on the bench.

Star players for me were Chucks (naturally...he brings that ball down to his feet better than any other player we possess), Guthrie, Evans and Grant. Ellis had a good game too. I sincerely hope that the manager's thoughts of bringing in another keeper are purely for back-up purposes and not to knock Garrett from that number one position that he is steadily making his own. He is certainly keeping out the goals, so

NEVTHEDEV
02-02-2014, 08:20 PM
[quote="SCALLYWAG60"]Fantastic result and performance from the whole team yesterday and it could have easily been 6. I personally don't think that Pogba's best position is on the wing. He is not quick enough and his touch (control) does let him down. I would prefer to see him in the middle. Byron is best suited out wide where Pogs was playing. I know that Ajay worked his socks off, but that is not enough. He misses too many chances, is often muscled off the ball and tends to turn the wrong way when in possession. He should be on the bench.

Star players for me were Chucks (naturally...he brings that ball down to his feet better than any other player we possess), Guthrie, Evans and Grant. Ellis had a good game too. I sincerely hope that the manager's thoughts of bringing in another keeper are purely for back-up purposes and not to knock Garrett from that number one position that he is steadily making hi

itwasin
03-02-2014, 09:23 AM
AJ not a good Advert for the Academy he will get it shut down! Scores a goal every 3 months Pathetic. CREWE have a habit of trying to turn CF into wingers remember Rodney but he was quick, Poggs will need a train if he plays there.

AstonAlex
03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I know itwasin's posts are only there to wind us up, but Pogs needing a train to play on he wing?

Call me old fashioned but that's exactly where he spent most of last season playing and from where he caught enough of them to end up as our leading scorer. The SU left back won't have had an afternoon like that for a while, getting bullied out of possession time and again, finding a substantial obstacle in his way when he tried to overlap and then finding Toots hurtling past him.

Proggs
03-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I see why he is played there, I did last season too. It serves many purposes from goal kicks to coming on far post. He scored 17 from this role last term so why alter it? He was very good on Sat I thought, their full back wasn't having a bar of it lol, when Pogs came off I half expected the full back to follow him - 5 yards behind though ;)

AJ, went off and we missed his doggie-run work rate. BM doesn't do it but gets goals - both have strenghs and weaknesses I reckon. AJ played his part on Saurday and is a Crewe player.

leypb
03-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I am of the opinion that Pogba doesn't quite have the pace to be a winger and would be more effective using his strength down the middle

BUT

We seem to do well with him out on the wing and as long as we are picking up points I trust the managers judgement.

AlexonTour
03-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I thought Pogs did well on the wing. I was the same opinion as many last season when I thought he would be better through the middle, but seeing him mostly beat his full back to create chances for others as well as scoring his goals, thought it gave us another attacking option.

We have missed his contribution so much as the ball use to keep coming straight back from the forwards, but with Pogs he holds the ball up well meaning other plays have the time to get up and support him and keep the attacks going.

He is also powerful in our box when defending set pieces.

I know I will be in the minority but he offers a lot more than Byron, most of the time because Moore has the talent, but only when he wants to show it.

Pogs is enthusiastic and no one can fault his commitment and determination and he alawys gives 100%, something you cannot say all the time for Moore.

Even when things are not going right for him or the team Pogs will never hide.

Personally if Moore played as we know he

Crewe313
03-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Everyone mentions pogbas 14 goals, but how many of these were meaningful? I mean to go one nil up or to pull one back to 1-1. My recollection is that he often got the third goal or when the game was lost. I think a winger with no pace is no good as any decent full back won't be worried he won't go round him and even if he does not get very far.

I thought POgba was bought to be a forward. I think we should play him as one. I think he was originally put on the wing just so Steve Davis could play everyone and keep them happy. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made and you should just choose one aka the mata and oscar scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he is back as he offers something different but needs to be played down the middle or not at all

out0lunch
03-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I seem to remember when he first played for us in the early days he played on the left wing (if there is such a position these days)

NEVTHEDEV
08-02-2014, 03:58 PM
[quote="NEVTHEDEV"]Fantastic result and performance from the whole team yesterday and it could have easily been 6. I personally don't think that Pogba's best position is on the wing. He is not quick enough and his touch (control) does let him down. I would prefer to see him in the middle. Byron is best suited out wide where Pogs was playing. I know that Ajay worked his socks off, but that is not enough. He misses too many chances, is often muscled off the ball and tends to turn the wrong way when in possession. He should be on the bench.

Star players for me were Chucks (naturally...he brings that ball down to his feet better than any other player we possess), Guthrie, Evans and Grant. Ellis had a good game too. I sincerely hope that the manager's thoughts of bringing in another keeper are purely for back-up purposes and not to knock Garrett from that nu