PDA

View Full Version : Losing Leads

SkyeContingent
09-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Not sure how to feel about yesterday's result against Bradford. On the one hand, it can be seen as a good away point, but on the other, it was yet another game this season where we gave away a lead. That has been a really disconcerting feature of this campaign.

By my reckoning we could have been 21 points better off if we had held on to leading positions. Nine times this year (against Rotherham, Posh, Oldham, the Vile, Coventry, Orient, Shrews, Rotherham again, and now Bradford) we have drawn or lost from winning positions.

And we've also gone out of the League and FA cups from winning positions...

If only...

AlexLeicester
09-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure the Bradford game is a good example. From what I have read and heard, all six goals were exceptional and no blame could be laid at the defences' door.
Earlier in the season I agree we looked slipshod when giving up good leads, but now there seems to be more cohesion at the back.

I was not at Bradford so cannot really know if I am right or talking out of my not inconsiderable butt. :-D

VindePays2009
09-02-2014, 12:04 PM
It sounded, despite itwasin's usual gloom and doom, as if the two Jones goals against us were 'worldies'. Undefendable.

Even Chelsea would struggle to keep one of these (though they never seem to get scored against them at Stamford Bridge under the Special One).

So let's look on the bright side, and accept that the two teams put on the kind of stirring spectacle that brings supporters back to the ground, and hope that, like Lauri, loanee Uche doesn't stop scoring for a while.

TwiceInABlueMoon
09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I think a large part of this is due to the spectacularly young age and relative inexperience of our back 5.

If look at our line up at the back yesterday; Ellis at 25, was the eldest. Followed by Tootle (23), Davis (22), Guthrie (21) and Garratt (19). Now I'm no statistician but I would bet that there isn't a younger defence in the Football League. Add to that; Mellor (23), Ray (20) and Duggy (26).

Most of those players show great promise but like most young players, they do make errors. I think we've seen a marked improvement in recent weeks and the defence seem to be growing in confidence by the game.

Things look very bright for the future anyhow. The more these lads play together, the better they will get as unit.

I, for one, am will to accept the odd mistake and heavy 'goals against' for the long-term gains of having steady and largely home-grown defence for seasons to come.

itwasin
09-02-2014, 05:01 PM
immmm but there are to many goals going in from well outside the area 20yds 30Yds ALL SEASON why is it teams are scoring spectacular goals in our net? and watch out Golden Boots here on Saturday.

PAULCAFC
09-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I'll settle for a point after the blinding save from our goalie near the end,that was world class!

alexbarmy
09-02-2014, 09:41 PM
I'll settle for a point after the blinding save from our goalie near the end,that was world class!

Their keeper made an even better save from a Chuks' deflected shot. The deflection looked to put it out of his reach but he somehow got down to tip it around the post.

fatfakir
10-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Their keeper made an even better save from a Chuks' deflected shot. The deflection looked to put it out of his reach but he somehow got down to tip it around the post.[/quote]

Thought that was a good save, but Ben's was better. And it was the one that made the FL highlights...

crewedaft
10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Not sure how to feel about yesterday's result against Bradford. On the one hand, it can be seen as a good away point, but on the other, it was yet another game this season where we gave away a lead. That has been a really disconcerting feature of this campaign.

By my reckoning we could have been 21 points better off if we had held on to leading positions. Nine times this year (against Rotherham, Posh, Oldham, the Vile, Coventry, Orient, Shrews, Rotherham again, and now Bradford) we have drawn or lost from winning positions.

And we've also gone out of the League and FA cups from winning positions...

If only...

By contrast I make it we have gained only 4 points from losing positions - one away at Coventry and three at Colchester.

SkyeContingent
10-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Yes, a stark contrast indeed. And the point 'gained' at Coventry was from one of the games where we had also held an earlier lead.

I hate appearing to be critical of the lads - after all they're the team I love and support - but the inability to hold on to winning positions is a really worrying trait this season. I started the post partly in response to the one asking whether 51 points would be enough for safety this year. I was trying to demonstrate that we would have reached that landmark already (and would be in a play-off place, rather than in relegation danger) if we had held on to winning positions.

If we do go down this season, and I hope and pray that we won't, it is likely that we'll only be a few points from safety. In those circumstances we will all look back, with genuine regret and frustration at the six points (at least) that we lost when holding two goal leads.