PDA

View Full Version : O/T 1D 'Bigger than The Beatles'

peterknowlesburnside
13-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Anybody catch this? The pop music legend Harry Styles XD reckons One Direction are bigger than The Beatles (although to be fair to him he does qualify this by saying 'fame wise'. Though he didn't go so far as to say "I'm a f* ckin useless t wat but I'm famous"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today... - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/oby4r63)

Evewolf65
13-02-2014, 09:27 PM
[quote="peterknowlesburnside"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today...[/quote]

Harry is kinda todays equivalent to Ringo then! XD

TundraWolf
13-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Self promotion always rings hollow; I would think in popularity and *** appeal he would probably rank just below Dame Edna in about ten years time.

Evewolf65
13-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Self promotion always rings hollow; I would think in popularity and *** appeal he would probably rank just below Dame Edna in about ten years time.

Lennon wasn't afraid of a bit of self promotion Tundra what about...
'The Beatles are more popular than Jesus' not bad for a start! XD

chimplad
13-02-2014, 09:58 PM
The difference is young harry, good music lasts for all time.
In 60 years, if the yanks are celebrating 1D first gig in USA I'd be very surprised!

The Beatles are timeless, 1D are filler!

Evewolf65
13-02-2014, 10:20 PM
The difference is young harry, good music lasts for all time.
In 60 years, if the yanks are celebrating 1D first gig in USA I'd be very surprised!

The Beatles are timeless, 1D are filler!

He knows that Chimp it's a Newspaper making more out of a quote from a young guy than is actually there! same old, same old non story really.
Music is subjective as you know a lot of todays kids couldn't give a toss about the 'Fab Four' but love 1D that's just the way it is!

TundraWolf
13-02-2014, 10:50 PM

Lennon wasn't afraid of a bit of self promotion Tundra what about...
'The Beatles are more popular than Jesus' not bad for a start! XD[/quote]

Good point, Eve!

tony
14-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Credit to this Nobby Stiles lad (or whatever his is) he was quick to concede that 1D aren't in the same league as the fabs in terms of musical ability and ground breaking innovation.

But "fame-wise"? how do you measure that?

For those who don't remember, The Beatles simultaneously occupied the top FIVE positions on the American billboard chart in Spring 1964, they were number one in the UK singles chart (and one and two in the EP chart - ask your grandad what THAT means!) at the same time AND had the top two albums in the UK and US charts simultaneously.

Amidst the marketing deluge of wigs, wallpaper, board games, talcum powder, dolls, badges, jigsaws and tea towels those four lads from Liverpool went viral and really were EVERYWHERE for a good while, absolutely inescapable. Even "Bottled Beatles' Breath" went on sale in the States (Only in America!!!)

I think the world has expanded and diversified incalculably over the last half century. Niche interests and sub cultures have

Woking88
14-02-2014, 02:08 PM
[quote="peterknowlesburnside"). Dear oh dear - the youth of today...[/quote]

The Beatles phenomenon had an effect on most age groups. Does 1D? 1D have made such an impact that I couldn't even tell you one of their songs. I would be very surprised if 1D really understand how big the Beatles were and, as Chimp implies, they will still be significant in 50 years time - will 1D?

I doubt it!

Evewolf65
14-02-2014, 02:22 PM
There have been many artists and bands that have been a lot more commercially successful than the Beatles, a lot of their legacy comes from being the First of a kind, but for me not necessarily the best!

Woking88
14-02-2014, 02:46 PM
There have been many artists and bands that have been a lot more commercially successful than the Beatles, a lot of their legacy comes from being the First of a kind, but for me not necessarily the best!

I listened to the first Rolling Stones album last night, not for the first time. I love that album and the Beatles first album equally but, as you will be aware, they have little in common, especially with regard to what influenced their respective preferences at that time.

Eve, I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious to know what groups do you think exceeded the Beatles commercial success?

tony
14-02-2014, 02:49 PM
There have been many artists and bands that have been a lot more commercially successful than the Beatles

No there haven't Eve. The Beatles are the ONLY act in recording history who have been verifiably audited with record sales over a billion. A BILLION!!! No one else - not Elvis, not Michael Jackson, not Madonna, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd or U2, NO ONE can match that. The Beatles have outsold every other act, before or since them, on the planet. Commercially they are the most successful musical unit ever. They weren't around for the era of huge grossing tours, although many "successful" tours have actually run at a loss financially. As a money-generating cash cow The Beatles remain huge even today.

a lot of their legacy comes from being the First of a kind, but for me not necessarily the best!

Not only were they the first of a kind (almost "alien" in their breathtaking f

Evewolf65
14-02-2014, 02:56 PM
There have been many artists and bands that have been a lot more commercially successful than the Beatles

No there haven't Eve. The Beatles are the ONLY act in recording history who have been verifiably audited with record sales over a billion. A BILLION!!! No one else - not Elvis, not Michael Jackson, not Madonna, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd or U2, NO ONE can match that. The Beatles have outsold every other act, before or since them, on the planet. Commercially they are the most successful musical unit ever. They weren't around for the era of huge grossing tours, although many "successful" tours have actually run at a loss financially. As a money-generating cash cow The Beatles remain huge even today.

a lot of their legacy comes from being the First of a kind, but for me not necessarily the best!

Not only were they the first of a ki

tony
14-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Cool Tone but it is also a good thing that not all of us like them or it would just be creepy!!

Fair comment mate XD

Dudleywolf
14-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Cool Tone but it is also a good thing that not all of us like them or it would just be creepy!!

Fair comment mate XD[/quote]

So Eve's the one ! (different not creepy !);D

Evewolf65
14-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Fair comment mate XD[/quote]

Even though I am no fan of the Beatles I was surprised to see that none of their albums (considering their total sales) figured in the top ten all time greatest selling albums list, first entry not surprisingly Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band at No 12!:O - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums)

Woking88
14-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Interesting lists, Eve. The one in the link may clarify the situation:- - view external link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists)

Evewolf65
14-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Interesting lists, Eve. The one in the link may clarify the situation:-

I was talking about individual albums on my post Wokes not total sales.
but cheers! :)

wolves71
14-02-2014, 03:34 PM
As with Woking's post #9, I'd heard the one direction, but can't one song by them. As a youngster Beatles tunes were played at home and i have always liked their music, but also the records of John Lennon. Also another post in the thread refers to the likes of Boyzone, Westlife and so on, that's all One Direction are in my eyes, a ****age girls dream and one for now. The Beatles live on and like a few artists of their generation influenced many more in years that followed.

John_Riggins
15-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Who he? And who dey?
As somebody else has written will anybody be mentioning or releasing anthologies and documentaries about Who Dey? in fifty years time? Or that other twerp that always seems to get his moosh into the media for being a basically boorish twerp, over here last year, ripped his alleged fan off? About to be kicked out of the States or Canada for being all of the above?

wolves71
15-02-2014, 07:55 PM
It just goes to show, after this thread was started, even heard a Beatles record inside Molineux, "Help". If a One Direction song was played, it would go in one ear and out the other :)

wolf1778
15-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Harry is kinda todays equivalent to Ringo then! XD

Reminds me of a great Lennon quote.
When he was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he replied, "He's not even the best drummer in the band".
Priceless.

ADP22
15-02-2014, 08:38 PM
There is no them - there's only us!

The Joshua Tree album returned in to the albums billboard chart at #47 last week almost 27 years after it was first released!

Added to that, the boys are back, still relevant!

Invisible! - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVoeX4eqIQ)

Evewolf65
15-02-2014, 09:14 PM
There is no them - there's only us!

The Joshua Tree album returned in to the albums billboard chart at #47 last week almost 27 years after it was first released!

Added to that, the boys are back, still relevant!

Invisible!

Nice one mate if you listen to some 'they' were the second coming!

For some of us there were far better bands!B) B)