PDA

View Full Version : The weather

bongosdad
13-02-2014, 10:32 PM
I've never seen a winter like it. It's not stopped raining for 3 months. I've also never seen so much hail and wind.
It's been quite funny here in Swansea. On the high tides the news say keep away from the coast line. Instead people turn up In there hundreds with wellys and cameras to see the spectacle. I was one of them and will try and put a pic on here.
I know other countries have had it bad. The USA has had a ridiculously cold year in areas.
The weather is changing without a doubt. I guess we just need to adapt as humans always have.

bongosdad
16-02-2014, 11:36 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/6zpoah.jpg

I know its not the most dramatic photo ever. The cafe on the right got damaged a week or so before.

MissWinnie
18-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes, you've got to feel for people with small businesses such as the cafe owners in your picture. Must be devastating for them. I guess the only comfort is that it happened out of season.

I saw photos of Swansea bay in the press last week. The sand dunes looked to have been blown away onto the adjoining road? Lots of landscape changes to the country this year ...

Seeing lots of pictures of crazy, crazy people out snapping away with their camera so close to danger. Get really mad when I see photos of people with young children nearly getting swept away. So irresponsible.

av4ever
18-02-2014, 02:46 PM
MW...there are a lot of dumb people out there :s

bongosdad
18-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes, you've got to feel for people with small businesses such as the cafe owners in your picture. Must be devastating for them. I guess the only comfort is that it happened out of season.

I saw photos of Swansea bay in the press last week. The sand dunes looked to have been blown away onto the adjoining road? Lots of landscape changes to the country this year ...

Seeing lots of pictures of crazy, crazy people out snapping away with their camera so close to danger. Get really mad when I see photos of people with young children nearly getting swept away. So irresponsible.

To be fair Winnie it's safer than surfing and the news would be craap without footage and photos.

MissWinnie
18-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Bongo, I'm quite a strong swimmer, but I'd have had no chance if I'd been swept into the sea in recent weeks. Never mind a small child.

What's more important - footage or a life? It's not just their own lives they are risking, but those of the coastguards, who end up having to go out in ill-equipped inflatables to try and rescue them.

bongosdad
18-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Taking a child there is obviously daft. Most peoole taking photos have there wits about them and keep safe. Its no different to any semi dangerous hobby involving the sea. As i said earlier if thats the case surfers are more at risk and can be caught in a rip tide even on a calm day.

yubbywelch
19-02-2014, 02:45 AM
Bingo, how about washed up debris you can't see until it hits you.

Just to let you know bloody hot here.

bongosdad
19-02-2014, 03:01 AM
If you look Yubby i was on a coastal path and in a very safe place. Ive felt more vulnerable fishing off the rocks at night or when out of my depth while surfing. I remember once getting caught in a rip tide and it took about 20 minutes to get back to shore after paddling and getting nowhere. Bloody scary i tell you Yubs.
You get some scarey weather over there with the heat and fires and even floods a few years back.

ozfan
19-02-2014, 06:09 AM
I remember once getting caught in a rip tide and it took about 20 minutes to get back to shore after paddling and getting nowhere. Bloody scary i tell you Yubs.

Rip tides are narrow enough that if you swim parallel to shore, you can easily escape the current. Never swim against a rip. Ocean 101.

bongosdad
19-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Thats what my surfing instructor said to me Oz when i was having lessons. I think im turning into a coward though. I don't like going out of my depth due to being semi traumatized as a child watching Jaws films and my surfing incident.
I also drive like miss daisy and hate it when in the car with a fast driver hence 0 points in 20 years of driving. I did crash down a ditch once when i skidded on oil going aroung the ring road in Westbrom town center. My car spun around about two times, however that wasnt that scary because i wasnt going fast. I was just praying i didnt hit anyone and luckily i didnt.

ozfan
19-02-2014, 06:43 AM
As the earth (On a whole) continues to warm the the weather extreme's will keep intensifying. Storm systems love sucking the energy from a warmer ocean.

bongosdad
19-02-2014, 09:44 AM
What's the score with global warming now a days? I heard the scientists got it wrong? The warming of the seas makes sence so there must be global warming? I never hear of any natural disasters in New Zealand. I always think of Harry Potter when I think of New Zealand.
Oh I do remember the earthquake just before the rugby world cup. Any weather ones?