PDA

View Full Version : O/T Yuma, Arizona

TundraWolf
16-02-2014, 06:31 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/2e5i87t.jpg

My wife and I spent a week in Yuma, Arizona, February 2-10th. As some members on the board commented on a seldom visited area of the North American continent I thought I would throw down some pictures and a few words on the experience.

We flew from Vancouver to Phoenix, a direct 3 hour flight, rented a car from the airport and drove the three hours to Yuma, a city of roughly 95,000 on the border of both Mexico and California. The region, however, counts just over 200,000 souls. These numbers are tricky as many a??snowbirdsa?? from northern US states and Canada, who have retired, flee the cold winters for a few months in the sun. Strongly independent in spirit, the Republican State sees public land as free for all to use and it is not unusual to see mobile, trailer homes sitting in the middle of the desert far from any facilities. Just pull your trailer to the side of the road and set up camp, nobody will chase you off!

Being on the Mexi

Woking88
16-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Fantastic input Tundra! Informative, educational, interesting and illustrated with some superb pictures. Something you North Americans/Canadians are consistently very good at. Thanks for making the effort, it is just a pity that the 'like it' button doesn't work! ;D

Robus
16-02-2014, 08:07 PM
A travel thread on Wolves Mad. Imagine that! Great photos, Tundra. This is a part of the country I haven't yet had the opportunity to explore, but it's on the list. Beautiful country if you're not too fond of the color green. Looks as if they have every kind of gun you can imagine there, from the 280mm variety right down to the ones you carry in your pocket. That Mexican ice cream sign does bring back memories.

Like to see more threads like this. I'm heading out West in May, to Montana and maybe as far as Yellowstone. I'm sure there will be a holiday drivel thread to come out of it. B)

Robus
16-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for making the effort, it is just a pity that the 'like it' button doesn't work! ;D

Was just thinking the same.

TundraWolf
16-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Thank you my friends; you know just how much work this kind of thread can be, Robus, but it all seems worth it at the end. Not sure if the country and western image comes through sufficiently. The weekend we left there was a big rodeo in Yuma, country music stations abounded, quite a few restaurants, trucker stops (the best food) had photos of John Wayne and Roy Rogers covering the walls.

Interesting dinner experience when we were in Quartzsite, Arizona, and sat down at a local diner. Across from us was a grandfather, grandmother, a grand-daughter (about age 8-10) and seven men aged about 25-35. When everyone had received their plate from the waitress the grandfather said something quietly, all removed their hats, bowed their heads and the grandfather said grace. At the amen they put their hats back on and commenced to start eating.

Robus, the talk shows were distinctly American with most talk show hosts being open supporters of the Tea Party. Interesting as we don't catch those stat

Robus
16-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I hadn't heard about the "Sand Dragon." By the way, google the phrase and you'll see some amazing pictures of sand sculptures.

Arizona is about as red as red states get ATO. They raised controversy a few years back with a law empowering state and local police to investigate the immigration status of suspects, hitherto a federal responsibility. They argued that Arizona, together with other border states, have borne the brunt of the federal government's failure to curtail illegal immigration. Complicated subject.

WOODLANDSWOLF
16-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks Tundra, excellant stuff. I like the desert myself. About seven years ago we drove out to spend 10 days summer vacation in Taos, New Mexico, had a great time. I have also worked at a copper mine in Arizona close to the Mexican border. The whole area fascinates me.

By the way is the Sand Dragon in any way related to our own 'Soup Dragon"?

See link below. ;D - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G512fvK9KXA)

greystone16
17-02-2014, 11:25 AM
A few memories when I visited Yuma as mentioned on an earlier post and I remember the desert run to Phoenix as we had a fire in the backseat of the rental car and I didn't believe my wife that she could smell burning, well she was in the back as my son was in the passenger seat.She was right again !!!

wolves71
17-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks for sharing Tundra, looked at this last night, but forum again took ages to load when i was trying to reply. Great pictures and especially the desert, the desert sunset and pictures of the guns.

TundraWolf
17-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks, '71, when I saw the guns I knew it would be a hit on this board as anything military goes over well here. If nothing else our regular posters are 100% behind those in uniform who serve and protect!

One thing I should mention is that the area is a biker's paradise, where else can you experience snow and rain free driving on a flat, open road that goes on forever. Saw bikers everywhere some well into their 70s! Visions of the movie, "Easy Rider" kept dancing in my head. It would be a bit hot though in biker gear, helmet, etc on the open road in summer though (+100F).

wolves71
17-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks, '71, when I saw the guns I knew it would be a hit on this board as anything military goes over well here. If nothing else our regular posters are 100% behind those in uniform who serve and protect!

Without doubt, i don't always agree with the actions of going to war, but will always respect the actions of serving military. Images like those guns stand out and also gives an insight of years gone by.

As with others, pity the "like it" button doesn't work anymore, much appreciated anyway Tundra.

Robus
17-02-2014, 07:23 PM
That part of the country is well populated by two-wheelers, both motorcyclists such as myself and "bikers" proper. I believe Arizona is more Hells Angels territory.

TundraWolf
17-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Saw a couple of bikers wearing colours (Desert Thunder?) on our trip but no Hell's Angels. Looking into it though and you are right, Robus, Arizona definitely Hell's Angels territory.

Robus
18-02-2014, 03:18 AM
Used to see quite a few bikers in Texas, which is Bandidos territory. Chicago is Outlaws territory, but it's exceedingly rare to catch sight of them around here. Then there are the numerous affiliated and subordinate clubs, which will have their own logo but often cop the color scheme of the dominant club in their area: Hells Angels, red and white; Outlaws, black and white; Bandidos, red and yellow; and so on.

You can distinguish the more hard core MCs from the generic riding clubs by patches on the back of the vest or "cut" they wear. They sport a "three patch" scheme, with the MC on top, the club logo in the middle, and the "rocker" on the bottom that identifies the territory they claim. Here's one for you, Tundra:

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/Ramiiam/bandidos.jpg

They will also have a patch that says "MC" and, for the most hard core, a small diamond shaped "1%" patch.

The generic clubs who want to avoid conflict or association leave off the botto

TundraWolf
18-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I taught in a high school in a run-down area of Montreal back in the 90s; it was a violence filled community (it had the highest arson rate and **** pregnancy rate in the country). The local chapters of the Hell's Angels and Rock Machine both operated from their bunkers and were involved in the drug trade, prostitution, smuggling, etc. ****s from both gangs attended our school. The scariest words a **** could hear was, "I'm calling your father in for an interview!" (Usually led to a beating). Both gangs operated night clubs in the area with a couple being firebombed every year in retaliatory strikes.

There was an old canal that ran past our school and we could look out my classroom window from the third floor and watch the water flow by. About two or three times a year a dead body would be spotted floating by and kids would rush to the window. Invariably a kid would state, "Hey, I know him!"

http://i58.tinypic.com/25yxjde.jpg

The Rock Machine have now linked up with The

TundraWolf
22-02-2014, 02:17 PM
For those who believe a desert climate offers no hardships, this is the warning at 5:00 a.m. this morning from the local weather office:

"Clear

12C

Feels like 12 (54F)
Cooler temperatures outside. Best to keep a hat and mitts handy."

Heck I never wear mitts and only a hat when it rains heavily, and our temperatures here have been below 54F since last September!XD

jiltedjohn
23-02-2014, 11:23 AM
There used to be a couple of biker gangs in my neck of the woods when I was young, the Eastcoast Outlaws and the Satan Slaves, never seen any of the two for god knows how long. In fact, very seldom see that many motorbikes around these days, they were a common mode of transport for young lads years ago, I think the cost of sitting the driving test has put many folk off.