PDA

View Full Version : This AMAZING club of ours

jocklatic
19-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Bear with me on this - while i was doing my training today for the upcoming Manchester 10km run i was trying to think of anything but the run in front of me. It got me thinking about this AMAZING club of ours & what we have achieved.
I started by thinking how well we have done in the defence of our FA Cup, the Fantastic win over City en route to the Semi's. Going back to the actual Cup Final, that epic winning goal which in turn took us on a magical European tour. Some great wins over 'the big 4', Carling Cup final in our 1st year in prem, the win against Reading to send us up into the prem , Roberts & Ellington partnership. All little snippets of time & no doubt people could add loads to this. But what i think makes this even more special is that how we have managed to achieve this with limited funds, a small fanbase to call from & what seemed at times from Media/FA we weren't welcome.
As an adopted Wiganer i am proud to support my 'local team' & like other Latic fans pleas

billboy1949
20-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Spot on Jock,so much to remember,and so proud to be a wiganeer with all those empty seats with a small fan base. My best moment was when we were elected to the football league in 1978 and cried that day after many years of trying,and still crying today with so many memories and shocks along the way,and who knows,could be more come may

Captain_Methven
20-03-2014, 12:29 PM
There's been alot of memories but to me I'm proud of our lads for the way they've defend the FA Cup, many laughed at us before and after we won it last year, you had an easy route, City didn't try and all that crap. Well this year we not only knocked out City on their home patch but have had a tougher route to the semi final than last year, we have Crystal Palace and Cardiff as scalps, yes their struggling in the prem but their a league above us. So to those who keep knocking us lmfao.

jocklatic
20-03-2014, 01:25 PM
There's been alot of memories but to me I'm proud of our lads for the way they've defend the FA Cup, many laughed at us before and after we won it last year, you had an easy route, City didn't try and all that crap. Well this year we not only knocked out City on their home patch but have had a tougher route to the semi final than last year, we have Crystal Palace and Cardiff as scalps, yes their struggling in the prem but their a league above us. So to those who keep knocking us lmfao.

Yep agree with you there, all the talk about how city weren't ar..sed n we had an easy route. Now this time round what will they say if we win it again. What pleased me was that Sh itty were planning on who they'd meet once they'd drawn us at home!!! Wonder what they're saying on the Arsenal forums?
Whatever happens against Arsenal next month we can be really proud of the team & fans in the defence of our crown.
DW South here I come.

Ihaventaclue
20-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Jock - this is a great posting. I have often wondered what it is about Football but more specifically Wigan that I enjoy so much, and have enjoyed in my short relationship with Wigan. You've come up with some good answers.

Mine are in the linky below. - view external link (http://ihaventacluerichard.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/youve-got-to-feel-sorry-for-ali/)

fozzy66
20-03-2014, 08:55 PM
A few of my best and worst bits:- I remember the midweek rainy games at Springfield park where in the first half all our fans were at the end that wigan were attacking and then in the 2nd half they all shifted up to the other end. Then 5 minutes before the end we would run outside and up into the main stand for a bit of luxury. seeing our junior supporters caravan >:) . Gillingham play off final :blue: . Then our first premier League game against Chelsea , outplaying them for the whole game and having that git crespo hit a one in a million :/ . Beating Chelsea 3-1 ;D , Everton 3-0 , ;D Man Utd game 1-0 get in. swansea home last goal :blue: .

The best thing though for me is looking how far we have come and hearing the pundits give their predictions like the cup semi and final with my 2 young sons and remember saying, If we are gonna score its got to be now, right before shaun maloney placed it on sir Bens head and me crying like a Baby till i left the stadium. I did the same at city

Ihaventaclue
20-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Fozzy... great post ... I feel so much of what you say ... except the first bit ... but I wasn't here. The elation is exhausting, after the Etihad game I was truly knackered.

jocklatic
20-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Jock - this is a great posting. I have often wondered what it is about Football but more specifically Wigan that I enjoy so much, and have enjoyed in my short relationship with Wigan. You've come up with some good answers.

Mine are in the linky below.

haven't
Thanks - you put it very well in your linky & cover alot of the instances i too have thoroughly enjoyed. Yes there have been times when we've despaired at some games or results but they are far outweighed with the sheer bliss of the moments you mention - Sir Ben's goal, Zaki's wonder strike at Liverpool or Nzogbia's screamer against wet spam.
How good a DVD would it be if you could combine all those magic moments ;D ;D

jocklatic
20-03-2014, 09:28 PM
[quote="fozzy66"]A few of my best and worst bits:- I remember the midweek rainy games at Springfield park where in the first half all our fans were at the end that wigan were attacking and then in the 2nd half they all shifted up to the other end. Then 5 minutes before the end we would run outside and up into the main stand for a bit of luxury. seeing our junior supporters caravan >:) . Gillingham play off final :blue: . Then our first premier League game against Chelsea , outplaying them for the whole game and having that git crespo hit a one in a million :/ . Beating Chelsea 3-1 ;D , Everton 3-0 , ;D Man Utd game 1-0 get in. swansea home last goal :blue: .

The best thing though for me is looking how far we have come and hearing the pundits give their predictions like the cup semi and final with my 2 young sons and remember saying, If we are gonna score its got to be now, right before shaun maloney placed it on sir Bens head and me crying like a Baby til

fozzy66
20-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks - you put it very well in your linky & cover alot of the instances i too have thoroughly enjoyed. Yes there have been times when we've despaired at some games or results but they are far outweighed with the sheer bliss of the moments you mention - Sir Ben's goal, Zaki's wonder strike at Liverpool or Nzogbia's screamer against wet spam.
How good a DVD would it be if you could combine all those magic moments ;D ;D[/quote]

We've come a lot further than a DVD, it would have to be a blu ray

jocklatic
20-03-2014, 09:56 PM
How good a DVD would it be if you could combine all those magic moments ;D ;D

We've come a lot further than a DVD, it would have to be a blu ray[/quote]

Silly me - perhaps after our FA Cup defence they might decide on a blu ray box set:D ;D

Fifelatic
23-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Very emotional post. I was introduced to Wigan Athletic while working in the mining industry in the area in the late '70s. Tried Man U, Everton etc. but was sold on Wigan after my first trip to Springfield Park. I returned home to Scotland a couple of years later, but as I still had a pal in the area was able to get down to a few games during he 1980s. Fell away from it a wee bit (although I continued to follow progress). Have taken a keener interest again since promotion to the PL. In the last few years I have been getting down to a few games a season. My son has now started attending the odd game. Great town, nice people and a fantastic football club. C'mon Latics!!! Good luck to the Warriors also.

jocklatic
23-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Very emotional post. I was introduced to Wigan Athletic while working in the mining industry in the area in the late '70s. Tried Man U, Everton etc. but was sold on Wigan after my first trip to Springfield Park. I returned home to Scotland a couple of years later, but as I still had a pal in the area was able to get down to a few games during he 1980s. Fell away from it a wee bit (although I continued to follow progress). Have taken a keener interest again since promotion to the PL. In the last few years I have been getting down to a few games a season. My son has now started attending the odd game. Great town, nice people and a fantastic football club. C'mon Latics!!! Good luck to the Warriors also.

Fife
Cheers- as a fellow Scot glad to hear of your interest/ support of Wigan. As you say once you get the bug of supporting Latics you get sold. A great feeling of a litle club keeping up with the big clubs & there bigger s

keithwafc7
23-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Great journey.
From,orig MANCITY 1-0 unjust defeat back in 71,Scarborough 73,all the way to last years best ever,Ben Watson goal,(not forgeting all this season)an old B s T-like me when had a few still sings the song,cant help it.