PDA

View Full Version : WhoRYa - reffing and play offs ...

Ihaventaclue
30-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I'mClooless ...

Can you or anyone tell me what happens in the play offs ... who plays who, do away goals count for more, and also when the games might happen - evening games or Saturday games? Does any one know dates?

Also, as a ref... at Bolton in the first half the ball hit the ref. If it had landed perfectly, like an assist, for someone to score ... what should the decision be. If fluke of all flukes happened and it went in the goal off the ref ... what happens then.

I do remember last season when we got the only call in our favour against Newcastle, when it came off the ref (?Dowd) and fell nicely to McCarthur for us to move on and score. Best reffing we had all last season!!

Nobrot
31-03-2014, 08:20 AM
The play offs are evening games in the week and the final is at Wembley on the 24th May - away goals don't count - the format is 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th the higher placed team plays away first!

With regard to the ref question, as far as I am aware the goal would stand !

WhoRYa
31-03-2014, 09:02 AM
The ref is considered to be a part of the field of play (like a player or even a corner flag!!) so if it hits them & falls to a player who scores, or if it takes a defelection of the ref to go in then the goal stands.
Its only when the ball hits an object on the pitch like a beach ball, dog etc.. that play should be stiopped & re-started with a drop ball

From my memory of the play offs I think the first leg is the weekend after the main season has finished with the 2nd leg in the midweek directly after that. Then like nobrot has said the final this year is on May 24th.
Hopefully if Latics do make them this season we'll break our duck & actually win the feckin thing

Ihaventaclue
31-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks Guys ... all helpful and interesting stuff.

Captain_Methven
31-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Away goals used to count but was changed in 1999, by all accounts it was changed when Ipswich put it forward that away goals shouldn't count as double after losing twice on away goals in the play offs.