PDA

View Full Version : Airport Again

yubbywelch
22-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Airports can be such lonely places, but I love the arrivals, being a domestic airport for me, the waiting to be picked up by loves ones warms my heart.

You head races to reading their stories; Husband and Wife (maybe adulterers) , children and being parent being reunited, long lost sisters, work colleagues.

All assumptions in my head, but I just love the reactions.

NuclearDevice
23-04-2014, 07:13 PM
I've passed through an airport maybe 1,000 times in my working life and spend as little time in them as possible.

When you hear the tannoy "last call for Mr Smith" that'll be me ;)

MissWinnie
23-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Yubby, I love all that kind of thing at airports too. I like people watching and trying to imagine what their stories are, and airports seem to always have loads of back stories going on. I like the departures too - ok, you get lots of goodbyes and sobbing, but also the excitement of adventures new, and without the sad goodbyes, you don't get the joy of hello agains, which I love. I'm a bit like you, I let my imagination take over ...

If I'd had to pass through airports as much as Nuc for work travel though, I suspect I'd be slightly less enamoured, too.

yubbywelch
24-04-2014, 12:55 AM
I spend a lot of time waiting, for lifts, shift change over vehicle, early drop off to save money etc.

I've assisted a couple of mothers with new borne lately, and I grab a bit of their story and vice versa.

ozfan
25-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Nothing beats the greeting I get from my kids at arrivals. But that is balanced by the insides being wrenched at departures.

I miss the old days of lax,relaxed customs.

yubbywelch
25-04-2014, 01:26 AM
I have to think like a killer so I know what not to take on in my carry on bag.

scissors ( inside my toiletry bag)gone.
almost lost a number stamping tool last week.

dazzyo-villa
25-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Yubbs you big soppy git you ;) :P

I love people watching at airports.. sadly I don't get to go to many airports of late.

NuclearDevice
25-04-2014, 09:24 PM

I love people watching at airports.. sadly I don't get to go to many airports of late.

Sounds like you and Yubbs take great delight in watching the likes of me getting stressed out hurrying through the wretched places being held up by mothers with toddlers in buggies / strollers, security lines, passport control, lovers who hang around saying their goodbyes, duty free surfers, those wretched golf carts ferrying the idle around, the security scanners, the lines waiting to get onto the plane at the gate lounge, the queueing on the bridges, the idiots who can't put a bag in the overhead lockers, the idiots who think they can put the kitchen sink in the overhead lockers, the stewardesses who love nothing more than to keep crashing into you with the beverage trolley / the sandwich trolley / the duty free trolley.

You're right, great places to spend your life. I just love international travel -

dazzyo-villa
26-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Sounds like you and Yubbs take great delight in watching the likes of me getting stressed out hurrying through the wretched places being held up by mothers with toddlers in buggies / strollers, security lines, passport control, lovers who hang around saying their goodbyes, duty free surfers, those wretched golf carts ferrying the idle around, the security scanners, the lines waiting to get onto the plane at the gate lounge, the queueing on the bridges, the idiots who can't put a bag in the overhead lockers, the idiots who think they can put the kitchen sink in the overhead lockers, the stewardesses who love nothing more than to keep crashing into you with the beverage trolley / the sandwich trolley / the duty free trolley.

You're right, great places to s

dazzyo-villa
26-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Got a little airport ditty for you, I'll set the scene, I'd been with my future wife for about 6 months, hadn't really won the future mother in law over for one reason or another.. Anyway my lass asked me to come on holiday with all her family for her dads 60th, I'd never met them all before so was obviously nervous.

We were going to Cyprus, to stay in a villa, it was a good 2 he drive from the airport.

Anyway we all get our luggage and get in our hire cars and head for the villa, after a long sweaty drive we arrive and settle in, I go to get some clean clothes from my suitcase and realise it's not my suitcase :O XD

Gutted,especially when the bloke that owned it just appeared to wear white flannel shirts and grey stay pressed trousers and sandels XD

After numerous calls to the airport I managed to arrange the drop and pick up mine, so that went well and we both had a laugh..

On the return flight we both nearly did the same thing.

Still gives all her family a laugh to this day.

yubbywelch
28-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Yes Nuc that will be me watching and giggling internally.

Great story Daz, I love it when people tell stories of themselves stuffing up.

Ya gotta be able to take a laugh at yourself.

MissWinnie
28-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Cheers for the story Dazzy!

Sounds like it was a good ice breaker between you and your future in laws, so maybe a good mix up to happen. :)

Yubby, I'd like to tell you lots of self depreciating funny stories about me messing up, but, sadly, being perfect, as you know, bro, I can't ... O:) ;D

yubbywelch
29-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I know sis it's a curse