PDA

View Full Version : O/T Cracking Local Muncheries

Pacman1903
08-06-2016, 09:15 PM
I started one of these a while back but its gone due to the cut off

Tonight i took Mrs Pac to Sabai in Inverurie as she cant make Donington this year so as of tomorrow i winna see her for 5 weeks pretty much

It was excellent. Really really excellent. A local gem only 5 miles fae Pac Towers

Thai food, massive menu, nice place

Had mixed starter to share(how romantic) followed by Jungle Curry for main. Pretty spicy but affa fine. When im back from Angola im heading straight back with Mrs Pac again

One complaint, my large Diet Coke was the same price as her Magners. Dear Coke that. Which didnt ruin the night but its nae richt

If you are looking for a munch in Garioch, head there

MalagaSheep
08-06-2016, 09:21 PM
El Cortijio
Fan bloody tastic!

Argie food!

ragnarok
09-06-2016, 05:32 AM
One complaint, my large Diet Coke was the same price as her Magners. Dear Coke that. Which didnt ruin the night but its nae richt

More to the point, why were you drinking diet coke? Everyone knows pepsi max is for proper mannies. Might be a subtle form of discrimination against pooves.

dbthedon
09-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Sabai is really good and another Inverurie eatery of note is Rajpoot. Absolutely magnificent indian on West High street.

Stef
09-06-2016, 09:57 AM
I have been a couple of times to Sabai in Aberdeen, love it. Only negative was my date kept oglin' the Thai bird that waited our table.

TheDeeDon
09-06-2016, 12:56 PM
There is an Indian upstairs where Etams used to be on the corner of Bridge St, right across from old C&A. I think it is called Ambals, the food was excellent. Me and the wife have different dietry requirements and they managed to cater for us both

kkong
09-06-2016, 01:01 PM
There is an Indian upstairs where Etams used to be on the corner of Bridge St, right across from old C&A. I think it is called Ambals, the food was excellent.

Agreed, it is very good in there and the presentation of the food is also excellent.

Showing your age with Etam, it was latterly Millets!

ILikeJam
09-06-2016, 01:10 PM
I really like Rishis on George St. They serve stuff in there that I've never seen in any other Indian before. Was first taken there by an Indian work colleague so I take that as a mark of it's genuine-ness (that or her da owns it! XD ). Always used to use Monsoona for delivery when I stayed in toon and it was affa fine too.

Recently went to Café Andaluz and thought it was really fine - particularly for being part of a chain, albeit a small chain. Had some kind of spicy, crispy breaded cod and it must be one of the nicest things I've eaten in years - properly excellent. Was slightly disappointed by the Spanish staples though (albondigas, gambas pil pil, etc) but the more random stuff we ordered was very good

InversneckieDob
09-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Is there a Cafe Andaluz in toon now ? Been to Glesca West End job and Embra, hoorin' fine.

Buc
09-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Food story is superb veggie and vegan catered for in abundance Thistle street Aberdeen superb place..

I did get splattered with mild curry all over my suit over the lass computer and my wife's hair and the piano ..

It were a laugh .. An accident these things happen so didn't complain even though the serving lass was really upset.

We had a great night there can't wait go back .

Buc
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM
And you bring your own beer n wines even better now eh.

Barnared
09-06-2016, 07:05 PM
I really like Rishis on George St. They serve stuff in there that I've never seen in any other Indian before. Was first taken there by an Indian work colleague so I take that as a mark of it's genuine-ness (that or her da owns it! XD ). Always used to use Monsoona for delivery when I stayed in toon and it was affa fine too.

Recently went to Café Andaluz and thought it was really fine - particularly for being part of a chain, albeit a small chain. Had some kind of spicy, crispy breaded cod and it must be one of the nicest things I've eaten in years - properly excellent. Was slightly disappointed by the Spanish staples though (albondigas, gambas pil pil, etc) but the more random stuff we ordered was very good

Cafe Andaluz is very good. Disappointing paella but everything else is good quality.

ILikeJam
09-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Is there a Cafe Andaluz in toon now ? Been to Glesca West End job and Embra, hoorin' fine.

Aye where Waterstones used to be - corner of Bon Accord St and Union St

The Marine Hotel at Stonehaven Harbour (part of 6 Degrees North) does some of the finest fish and chips I've had in a while - with a few fine beers to wash it doon too!

ILikeJam
09-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Cafe Andaluz is very good. Disappointing paella but everything else is good quality.

Aye that's what we found. The basics you think of when you imagine Spanish food were really quite disappointing - not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but when we ordered some of the random stuff we'd never had before we were really, really impressed.

Pacman1903
27-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Was up on the Moray coast today with Pac Jnr.

Found a fantastic wee cafe in Cullen. The Rockpool. Coffee was great, and me and the wee man had a slice of banana and walnut loaf(dinna tell mrs pac). All their pieces are baked there and if this was anything to go by i need to go back.

If you are ever in Cullen.....

Pacman1903
17-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Nae especially local but i took Pac Jnr and the Pac Folks up to Spey Bay today. Stopped for our lunch in Fochabers at the Quaich Cafe. What a decent wee place that is. I had a great cajun chicken panini and half of the wee mans Tuna sannie. The coffee was really good too. If your ever hungry in Fochabers you should head there. Thumbs up fae me

fittiered
26-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Just oota Revolution in Belmont Street and it wisnae too bad decent dj playin inna. I had the Penang curry washed down wi Aspal cider.

redscot
26-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Nae especially local but i took Pac Jnr and the Pac Folks up to Spey Bay today. Stopped for our lunch in Fochabers at the Quaich Cafe. What a decent wee place that is. I had a great cajun chicken panini and half of the wee mans Tuna sannie. The coffee was really good too. If your ever hungry in Fochabers you should head there. Thumbs up fae me

Have you tried the Mill House just a few miles outside Fochabers on the road to Buckie?

Magic. *

*(i have only had evening meals there)

Pacman1903
08-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Help needed. Does anyone know of any decent places for the lunch near the harbour. Taking Pac Jnr on his first train ride tomorrow and down to the harbour to see the boats and Fittie for a wander. As long as its kid friendly it will be good as he and i arent fussy and are gannets to be honest

gervaise_brookhampst
08-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Numerous places in Union Square that your kid would like but if your loon can handle curry the Gurkha Chef on Palmerston Road is ace, looks nothing special but lovely grub, the Naga Mirchi is roasting and fine as feck

Pacman1903
18-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Sizlers outside the train station is gone. Spent many a drunken pound in there.

Couldn't even tell you if it was any good. Always hosed when I used it

ILikeJam
18-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Sizlers outside the train station is gone. Spent many a drunken pound in there.

Couldn't even tell you if it was any good. Always hosed when I used it

Must have spent a fortune in the one inside Amadeus as a student. Like you I have no idea if it was any good or not.

Is the one on Windmill Brae away as well?

Pacman1903
18-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Must have spent a fortune in the one inside Amadeus as a student. Like you I have no idea if it was any good or not.

Is the one on Windmill Brae away as well?

I just read it in the EE and it only said the Guild street one

Pacman1903
01-08-2017, 07:20 PM
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/top-10-restaurants-in-aberdeen-according-to-trip-advisor/

Top ten muncheries in toon according to Trip Advisor

Good to see Christos in there. Id personally have it at numero uno though

Pacman1903
09-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Wheres good for lunch in toon these days? I wouldn't know where to start.

Any help appreciated

Mr_Grieves
09-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Topolabamba the new Mexican on Union St, Zen Oriental on Bon Accord Cres and Rustico on Summer St have all been top notch whenever I've been there.

Pacman1903
10-03-2018, 05:05 AM
Topolabamba the new Mexican on Union St, Zen Oriental on Bon Accord Cres and Rustico on Summer St have all been top notch whenever I've been there.

Mexicans the winner. Cheers min.

Meeting someone the day I'm back and we both dinna have a clue wheres good

mondo_notion
10-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Mexicans the winner. Cheers min.

Meeting someone the day I'm back and we both dinna have a clue wheres good

Hot date? I'm calling rules on this one.

Pacman1903
10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Hot date? I'm calling rules on this one.

XD

LED
14-03-2018, 08:38 PM
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/top-10-restaurants-in-aberdeen-according-to-trip-advisor/

Top ten muncheries in toon according to Trip Advisor

Good to see Christos in there. Id personally have it at numero uno though
Totally agree regarding Christos. He's out lived just about every eatery in Aberdeen. Number one in my book.

Disco Buc
16-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Used to love cafe 52 in the green but on my recent visit the service was superb but the food didn't match the service .

Back to food story for me then.

Pacman1903
16-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Used to love cafe 52 in the green but on my recent visit the service was superb but the food didn't match the service .

Used to frequent there a lot with the ex. Then head to the Old Kings Highway or the POW after.

Jupiter
16-03-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't like eating out, I'm always worried that someone will spit in my food. Or something even worse.

mondo_notion
23-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Only local if you are in Edinburgh but Porto & Fi's down at Newhaven sea front is well worth a visit. Just had breakfast there - eggs benedict with smoked salmon and it was lovely. They do great homebakes as well. I've got a nice bit of Salted caramel tiffin for later.

EDIT: I should add it's not too cheap but good hearty food.

mondo_notion
29-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Had a slice of gala pie from the Hattoncrook deli the other day. F*ckin lovely. No idea why I have never tried this before.

How do they get the egg in there though?

Pacman1903
29-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Had a slice of gala pie from the Hattoncrook deli the other day. F*ckin lovely. No idea why I have never tried this before.

Hattoncrook deli (I know ive said this and so have you) is a hidden gem in the North East. I was being lazy a few weeks back and didn't have the wee man so couldn't be assed cooking. Went in to see what they had. Opted for their Lasagne (and a few Brew Toon beers.) Its was affa bloody lovely

They also sell Grumpy Mule Coffee which is good in my book

mondo_notion
29-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Hattoncrook deli (I know ive said this and so have you) is a hidden gem in the North East. I was being lazy a few weeks back and didn't have the wee man so couldn't be assed cooking. Went in to see what they had. Opted for their Lasagne (and a few Brew Toon beers.) Its was affa bloody lovely

They also sell Grumpy Mule Coffee which is good in my book

Aye but how do they get the egg in there?

Pacman1903
29-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Aye but how do they get the egg in there?

I'm away watching randa-fitba on sat. Ill get some gala pie for tea and report back if I can

mondo_notion
03-06-2018, 02:42 PM
You find out how they get the egg in there pacmin?

I should have asked, I'm just back. Aberdeen Angus rump steak in a bun, onions and a dash of mustard. £3.95 and f*cking delicious.

Pacman1903
03-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Funny you ask as i was in Tesco yesterday and i saw Gala pie at the deli counter. So i asked my ma today

When you are making it you put a layer of meat at the bottom. Then you put pre boiled eggs with the ends cut off lined up and then build the meat around them. Then bang on the lid

Pacman1903
01-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Was on one of my stone circle visits with the wee dude today (Midmar Kirk) and noticed a cafe nae far away. The Forest Cafe. Had a pulled pork sandwich. It was f@cking ace. Decent menu and seems to be a hidden wee gem. Its out past Echt heading east from the croasroads in Echt next to Miller Plant hire. Id never heard of it. Was busy too which is a good sign

64syrupofjarvie
07-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Some good Thai/Chinese in the market and cheap too!

64syrupofjarvie
07-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Where's best breakfast in toon.....always struggling to find places early at weekends?

Pacman1903
07-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Some good Thai/Chinese in the market and cheap too!

Someone told me about that about a month ago and said it was awesome.

Totally forgot until now. Ill probably forget again as I'm away tomorrow

Breakfast wise, Union Cafe . Opens at 8am. Good when I was in. Union Street at the top of Ship row bitty heading to the Moorings

Pacman1903
26-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Meldrum chinese. F@CK YOU

Blacklisted

mondo_notion
26-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Meldrum chinese. F@CK YOU

Blacklisted

Fits happened?

Pacman1903
26-11-2018, 05:42 PM
"Be ready in half an hour" i was told on the phone. Went down thirty five mins after phoning. Waited another forty mins in the place while heaps of folk were in and out. Got home and the order was wrong. A main a starter and a rice and they f@cked it up. F@ck them

This was on Saturday when i was starving after being at the fitba. I evem asked twice if they had forgotten about me. "no no" they said

mondo_notion
26-11-2018, 05:58 PM
"Be ready in half an hour" i was told on the phone. Went down thirty five mins after phoning. Waited another forty mins in the place while heaps of folk were in and out. Got home and the order was wrong. A main a starter and a rice and they f@cked it up. F@ck them

This was on Saturday when i was starving after being at the fitba. I evem asked twice if they had forgotten about me. "no no" they said

The absolute b*stards. Take your custom down the road to casa italia. Good pizzas.

Pacman1903
26-11-2018, 06:14 PM
The absolute b*stards. Take your custom down the road to casa italia. Good pizzas.

Still to try that joint oot. Away on Wed so will have to wait untill im back as tommorow is the last good meal i get for a month so i traditionally cook a three courser(dinna make the pudding though)

Ill maybe try it out the day im home if its open on the 28th of December

mondo_notion
26-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Like I say their pizzas are good but if I'm after a kebab I always go for marmaris from inverurie. Kebab meat chips, salad with a side of shish! Brilliant.

ILikeJam
27-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Was oot at Teacake in Chapelton (across fae Newtonhill) a few weeks back. Only half a mile from our hoose so it was rare to get to walk somewhere for a meal for once. It's a wee coffee/sandwich/cake type place but a chef's taken it over in the last few months and he's started opening Saturday nights just working the kitchen on his own. Menu changes every few weeks and he posts it on their Facebook page.

Set £35 for 3 courses (plus you get the usual amuse bouche and wee tasters) and BYOB. Honestly one of the nicest meals I've had. Scallops with a saffron crayfish pie to start might just be the single best thing I've ever eaten. Dinna want to sound like a total bellênd, but we've been lucky to eat in some amazing places all over the world and I'm nae exaggerating how good this was.

I've raved about the Tollbooth in Stonehaven before (and still would - it's ace) but this was every bit as good at a fraction of the price. Cannot believe how cheap it was for the quality of food the guy was knocking out - he should honestly have a waiting list to get a table.

Pacman1903
27-11-2018, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=ILikeJam;39073223]Dinna want to sound like a total bellênd,
.[/QUOTE

You failed :P

Just joking

May have to try it oot. Anyone fancy a date?

ILikeJam
28-11-2018, 12:42 PM
You failed :P

Just joking

May have to try it oot. Anyone fancy a date?

I didn't say didn't sound like a bellend, just that I didn't want to http://boards.footymad.net/images/smilies/confuse.gif

Pacman1903
28-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I didn't say didn't sound like a bellend, just that I didn't want to http://boards.footymad.net/images/smilies/confuse.gif

Its pencilled in for my return from offshore and holiday. Ill report back in early Jan. Cheers for the heads up.

mondo_notion
01-12-2018, 08:33 PM
We don't have a thread for sh*te muncheries so I will just stick this in here. Blue Lagoon chipper in the weege - bowfing! 1/2 Pizza crunch, what on earth was I thinking?

Pacman1903
01-12-2018, 09:13 PM
We don't have a thread for sh*te muncheries so I will just stick this in here. Blue Lagoon chipper in the weege - bowfing! 1/2 Pizza crunch, what on earth was I thinking?

You deserve that for getting a pizza crunch.

On saying that im on porridge for a month and would probablly murder a pizza crunch

Aldo1983
01-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Blue Lagoon chippies are absolutely ****e. Serves you right.

Do they do Hoagie wraps up your way?

mondo_notion
01-12-2018, 10:16 PM
Blue Lagoon chippies are absolutely ****e. Serves you right.

Do they do Hoagie wraps up your way?

Oof I'm still struggling. I though it might have some cheese or even a few slices of pepperoni in it but no no just a plain pizza base in batter. Gads.

re the hoagie, don't think so. Well I've never heard of them anyway. Does in contain roadkill?

Back on topic and I was eating at the miller and carter place in Aberdeen last night. I had the tomahawk steak with beef dripping, peppercorn sauce, sweet potato fries and that lettuce wedge things. Cooked medium was recommended so went with that and although it was pink enough in the middle I reckon I'd prefer it medium-rare.

Creme brulee to finish and it was probably the finest dessert I've ever had. Thin, crispy layer of caramelised sugar (maybe?) on top with some fruit to accompany it.

mondo_notion
17-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Ended up back at that place down Granton way today, Porto and Fi. I mentioned it a while back and it's still worth a visit. We missed breakfast so just a quick take away today and I had a cheese and ham croissant and chocolate brownie. Took a couple of these out the fridge to, bit pricey though at over 4 quid a bottle :(

http://i67.tinypic.com/2iuozyo.jpg

Can't be arsed trying to rotate it.

Aldo1983
17-12-2018, 09:01 PM
One of my mates is always going on about IPAs. I think they all taste like Kronenberg that's in a soapy glass.

InversneckieDob
17-12-2018, 09:53 PM
One of my mates is always going on about IPAs. I think they all taste like Kronenberg that's in a soapy glass.
There's IPAs and IPAs.

It strikes me there's a modern strain of IPAs that's designed to appeal to lager drinkers that are a lot like............... well, lagers.

mondo_notion
17-12-2018, 10:42 PM

I'll drink anything if it's cold, apart from becks. I do like trying different craft ales and beers though but there's only been a few I've went back to. Got to be honest most of the time I would rather just save the cash and get an 8 pack of tennents on the way home.

I've never been a wine drinker apart from the tonic variety when I was younger but as I'm off to Spain shortly and they do the lunch time specials of 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 8.50 euro I think it would be a good time to start.

Aldo1983
17-12-2018, 10:54 PM
I'll drink anything if it's cold, apart from becks. I do like trying different craft ales and beers though but there's only been a few I've went back to. Got to be honest most of the time I would rather just save the cash and get an 8 pack of tennents on the way home.

I've never been a wine drinker apart from the tonic variety when I was younger but as I'm off to Spain shortly and they do the lunch time specials of 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 8.50 euro I think it would be a good time to start.

Will you start your own thread like redhammer did with his trails and tribulations? Mason would rather you stuck to your own thread as well. The thought of two posters discussing rioja in no detail would send him over the edge. He's enough to worry about with his homoerotic stalkers.

mondo_notion
17-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Will you start your own thread like redhammer did with his trails and tribulations? Mason would rather you stuck to your own thread as well. The thought of two posters discussing rioja in no detail would send him over the edge. He's enough to worry about with his homoerotic stalkers.

redhammer must have been a bit before my time. There's about 11 posters who use off topic so wouldn't be too worth while writing a kind of wine infused blog.

Pacman1903
18-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Mondo min id read your blog. Do it

Mondos Lexmoto Euro Mash Up.

Tuesday- Ooof those squid rings in Cadiz on Monday have given me the green apple splatters. Or was it the fact i mixed Sangria with Mahou. If only i remember where the bog roll was. If i could work a rawl plug it would have been conveniently next to the bog. F@ king rawl plugs.

mondo_notion
18-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Mondo min id read your blog. Do it

Mondos Lexmoto Euro Mash Up.

Tuesday- Ooof those squid rings in Cadiz on Monday have given me the green apple splatters. Or was it the fact i mixed Sangria with Mahou. If only i remember where the bog roll was. If i could work a rawl plug it would have been conveniently next to the bog. F@ king rawl plugs.

I do hate a blooming rawl plug like.

What I might do is just create a thread on the main board every time the dons are playing asking for advice on which nearby pubs will be showing the game.

'I'm in Sant Vicent Del Rapieg, any dons friendly bars on the go?'

'Just got in to Gummersbach, where can I watch the game with out getting battered by huns?'

Pacman1903
15-12-2019, 04:26 PM

You missing this place yet mondo min

Pacman1903
15-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Tigerlilly in Meldrum is no more

This makes pacman a sad pacman

mondo_notion
15-12-2019, 08:37 PM
You missing this place yet mondo min

Yeah I am to be honest. I think I have been there once since I left, I stopped by when I was up for a game a month or so ago. Not had a gala pie since either.

What's happened to tigerlilly?

Pacman1903
16-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Nae sure what happened. I drove past and noticed the take away bit was gone. Then went to get a one on Friday but the number was dead

Its now the Meldrum Kitchen. New owners, chefs etc . Still a thai though. It has a lot to live up to

mondo_notion
27-09-2020, 06:11 PM
King Kebab in the centre of Kintore, proper mannies lamb shish.

Disco Buc
04-10-2020, 07:03 PM
It's not an eaterie but Papa John's do an amazing vegan pizza.

But can highly recommend this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://justinpluslauren.com/aberdeen-vegan-restaurants-scotland/&ved=2ahUKEwj3-I2T0JvsAhWSEMAKHXptDe0QFjAFegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3xUA5FoPbZdwymYq-Zr9jU

mondo_notion
13-10-2022, 04:59 PM
I was at a loose end last week so took off around Northern Scotland in my campervan. Ended up in Ullapool for a few days and on the first night I ate in at The Seaforth. Scallops and black pudding with crisp bacon for a starter and their award winning haddock and chips for main. Both excellent, especially the haddock. Expensive though, just over £40 for that with a pint.

Next day for lunch I went to The Seafood Shack. 6 langoustines in garlic butter with bread and I also went for the mackerel pate on oatcakes with salad. Extremely good but by f*ck those prawns were tasty.

Which leads me to this post. Where serves good quality seafood takeaway in the NE? Is there still a place in Stoney? I'm not meaning a chipper but proper prawns, lobster and the like.

InversneckieDob
13-10-2022, 05:44 PM
The Tollbooth in Stoney had a good name for seafood.
I only ever ate there once, and that was a private doo with a fixed menu, so cannot give a first hand endorsement.

sheepcrooky
14-10-2022, 07:08 PM
The Tollbooth in Stoney had a good name for seafood.
I only ever ate there once, and that was a private doo with a fixed menu, so cannot give a first hand endorsement.

Without being a cheeky cvnt. That review/non-review was fairly pointless.

InversneckieDob
14-10-2022, 07:34 PM
Aye, true.

mondo_notion
15-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Aye, true.

Google suggests 'The Seafood Bothy' right on the harbour wall in Stoney.

Any intel?

InversneckieDob
15-10-2022, 11:41 AM
I could be wrong but that was a takeaway wasn't it?

Shetland Don
15-10-2022, 08:15 PM
It’s a seafood takeaway van that sits at the very end of the pier. The food looks decent but I’ve never tried it.

mondo_notion
16-10-2022, 07:54 AM
I could be wrong but that was a takeaway wasn't it?

Yes, it was a takeaway I was looking for.

It’s a seafood takeaway van that sits at the very end of the pier. The food looks decent but I’ve never tried it.

I took a drive out yesterday after work. They serve whatever the owner has caught that day out at sea and unfortunately he hadn't caught any langoustines yesterday. My next choice (lobster toasted sandwich) was off the menu as well.

I went for the prawn and lobster quesadilla but can't say I enjoyed it too much.

The woman did say langoustines should be back on the menu next weekend so I'll try again. It'll be their last weekend before shutting up for the winter. Although they do have a stand and some P&J Live event in a few weeks time.

InversneckieDob
16-10-2022, 08:49 AM
At a slight tangent, I'm affa partial to a quesadilla.

mondo_notion
18-10-2022, 08:53 AM
At a slight tangent, I'm affa partial to a quesadilla.

I'd never heard of it. Just a corn based wrap aint it? Not a fan of the rice and beans in it.

InversneckieDob
18-10-2022, 11:04 AM
You can fill it with anything you want.
It's basically a tortilla sandwich/toasty.

Shetland Don
23-10-2022, 04:23 PM
Yes, it was a takeaway I was looking for.

I took a drive out yesterday after work. They serve whatever the owner has caught that day out at sea and unfortunately he hadn't caught any langoustines yesterday. My next choice (lobster toasted sandwich) was off the menu as well.

I went for the prawn and lobster quesadilla but can't say I enjoyed it too much.

The woman did say langoustines should be back on the menu next weekend so I'll try again. It'll be their last weekend before shutting up for the winter. Although they do have a stand and some P&J Live event in a few weeks time.

That’s a pity. For me, the best seafood, in particular order, is langoustines, scallops, brown crab, lobster, John Dory, halibut, haddock, fried herring, mussels, fried mackerel - all as fresh as you can get it. Not difficult here in Shetland, thankfully. Bistro Verde in Aberdeen is a very nice place to eat - lots of Shetland seafood on offer too!

mondo_notion
25-10-2022, 12:17 PM
That’s a pity. For me, the best seafood, in particular order, is langoustines, scallops, brown crab, lobster, John Dory, halibut, haddock, fried herring, mussels, fried mackerel - all as fresh as you can get it. Not difficult here in Shetland, thankfully. Bistro Verde in Aberdeen is a very nice place to eat - lots of Shetland seafood on offer too!

Can't beat a bit of dressed crab. Tried halibut at a wedding a while back, lovely piece of fish.

donsdaft
25-10-2022, 12:34 PM
I’m not much of a fish fan but I once saw someone order a baby halibut in a restaurant in Birmingham.

As they came towards him with the biggest fish I ever saw he said ( brummie accent) “I only ordered it because I wasn’t that hungry “

wester_ross_don
28-10-2022, 12:25 PM
I was at a loose end last week so took off around Northern Scotland in my campervan. Ended up in Ullapool for a few days and on the first night I ate in at The Seaforth. Scallops and black pudding with crisp bacon for a starter and their award winning haddock and chips for main. Both excellent, especially the haddock. Expensive though, just over £40 for that with a pint.

Aye, Ullapool is full of hoorna greedy proprietors, that's a reasonable boozer though.

You should have headed up a bit further up the road to Lochinver to stock up on the Lochinver Larder pies. The venison one is ace.

mondo_notion
13-02-2024, 12:37 PM
Parked up at the beach for a few days and tried one of the food vans on the beach front. Went for the Polish food one and opted for the Polish Boy smoked sausage with chips and typical Eastern European veg. Very nice indeed although maybe a bit steep at a tenner. Probably pop along again tomorrow.

Shetland Don
17-02-2024, 12:30 PM
Parked up at the beach for a few days and tried one of the food vans on the beach front. Went for the Polish food one and opted for the Polish Boy smoked sausage with chips and typical Eastern European veg. Very nice indeed although maybe a bit steep at a tenner. Probably pop along again tomorrow.

“ … opted for the Polish Boy smoked sausage … “ - careful Mondo! 😆

mondo_notion
17-02-2024, 02:27 PM
“ … opted for the Polish Boy smoked sausage … “ - careful Mondo! ��

Had another one today :O