PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden

scobiemacd
28-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Been listening to a lot of this band recently . Never been much of a fan but my question is why are they disliked by some metal fans? To me they sound like a bit of a Judas Priest rip off, but I can see their appeal.

Mr_Grieves
28-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Killers is the best metal LP ever IMO, even though its nae very well produced.

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 05:29 AM
Im not a big fan. First two albums, Iron Maiden and Killers are decent though. Then they have a few good songs when Bruce took over singing, Fear of The Dark, The Wicker Man, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Be Quick or Be Dead. But im not big fan

Out of the stadium metal bands id put them last in appeal to me. I have seen them at the SECC and I cant deny that was good, Donington around 07-08 ended up sitting down and drinking beer and again at Donington this year and I walked about 45 mins in through shear boredom

But the are a f@cking massive band and make millions and bajillions doing it so fair play to them. Seen interviews with them and they all seem like decent blokes too.

But Judas Priest piss all over them if you ask me Scobes. Get listening to Painkiller and Screaming For Vengence, ditch Maiden

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 05:35 AM
Killers is the best metal LP ever IMO, even though its nae very well produced.

Bloody hell that's a bold statement

There are many better than that in my opinion

But "Ride the Lightning"v "Master of Puppets", "....and Justice for All" Metallicas holy trinity , "Reign In in Blood" by Slayer theres another one, "Pleasure To Kill" by Kreator, "Operation Mindcrime" by Queensryche, But opinions are like arseholes

Mr_Grieves
28-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Its probably got a lot to do with Killers being the first LP I ever bought. Live After Death has got to be one the best live metal LP's - that was definitely a band at their peak.

Sabotage and Among the Living have got to be up there as well when discussing the best metal albums.

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Sabotage .

One of the greatest albums ever. Megalomania is pure brilliance

scobiemacd
28-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Cheers Pac, I got stuck into The mighty Priest a few years back so know most of their stuff. Will give the albums mentioned above a listen later.

Buc
28-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Sorry lads not the type of music for auld buc .

It's just a noise from start to finish for me ..:)

InversneckieDob
28-08-2016, 03:21 PM
I saw Maiden live 1980 at the Reading festival, it was yer man DiAno(sp?) that was still lead singer, afore the boy fae Samson joined.

Quite the hairy, greasy, heid-banging bar-steward I was in my yoof.

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I saw Maiden live 1980 at the Reading festival, it was yer man DiAno(sp?) that was still lead singer, afore the boy fae Samson joined.

Quite the hairy, greasy, heid-banging bar-steward I was in my yoof.

Im getting on but still a heid banging bar-steward. Never had the hair or the grease though

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Come to think of it Scobes.

Listen to "Eddie, Bruce and Paul" by NoFx. Sums up Iron Maiden quite well (And also mentions that they are a Judas Priest rip off)

actonsheep
28-08-2016, 03:50 PM
But the are a f@cking massive band and make millions and bajillions doing it so fair play to them. Seen interviews with them and they all seem like decent blokes too.

Huddon. Maiden aren't seen as the best band in the world, and they certainly aren't seen as the worlds most talented musicians, but its ok that they earn millions and bajillions, yet somehow its wrong for the very best footballers in the world to earn the same? :? How does that work then?

InversneckieDob
28-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Ah, the hair's a distant memory now.
Over the years I rocked traditional long ish hair, a kind of Joey Ramone affair, a truly hideous mullet mid/late 80s then, as I started gan bald, a last hurrah young Billy Connelly kinda look.
Now?
Shaved.

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Huddon. Maiden aren't seen as the best band in the world, and they certainly aren't seen as the worlds most talented musicians, but its ok that they earn millions and bajillions, yet somehow its wrong for the very best footballers in the world to earn the same? :? How does that work then?

Iron Maiden and Metallica are the highest grossing heavy metal bands on the planet. So Maiden are at the top of their game in terms of their job so they are the best in their field at the current moment.

comparing to overpaid football players is a bogus comparison

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 04:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of overpaid football players are not on top of their game and are not the best in their field. See Chinese fitba and English fitba.

gruppenfuhrer
28-08-2016, 04:37 PM
had a mate had hair like dave mustaine he loved megadeth and iron maiden, i hate iron maiden, how the f##k did' bring you daughter to the slaughter' get to no1 still puzzles me , yes it was only for 1 week only but ?????????? i guess all the fans bought it the first few days then no c##t else bought it, mind you bruce dickinson seems a nice guy

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Maidens Trooper beer is good stuff.

Nae your usual band puts name to something idea. Bruce Dickinson actually helped create it. I like it. First thing I ever got from my beer club. Theres a new stronger version out to that is 6.66%.

irnbru1903
28-08-2016, 05:27 PM
A staple on my mp3 when I am out running. There is something about them that just seems to motivate me aided by the fact that they wouldn't know what a ballad was if it smacked them on the face. Like JP as well but more certain songs. Metallica still rule though and can't wait for the new album in November. Going by the first track it should be decent and hopefully a tour as well.

elginred
28-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Saw a young Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest at the Capitol in 1980 and thought Maiden stole the show. Dinna see much of a rip off, they both had pretty distinctive sounds IMO.Judas Priest became almost glam rock at times

Pacman1903
28-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Saw a young Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest at the Capitol in 1980 and thought Maiden stole the show. Dinna see much of a rip off, they both had pretty distinctive sounds IMO.Judas Priest became almost glam rock at times

But that was Di'Anno Maiden. The better Maiden. Without Bruces falsetto. The falsetto added more elements of Priest along with the twin guitar leads

elginred
28-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Aye, see what you mean.Went off both bands a bit the more commercial they became, though Ive always been impressed by Dickinsons vocals on Run to the hills.

Pauldolski10
29-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Iron Maiden are my favourite ever band. They are also the best live band i have seen.

Pacman1903
29-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Iron Maiden ...... They are also the best live band i have seen.

Was that not Kiss..........oh wait a minute ;D

Pauldolski10
29-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Was that not Kiss..........oh wait a minute ;D

Hahaaa, i watched it back on youtube, it just wasn't the same

krakowdon
29-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Ah, the hair's a distant memory now.
Over the years I rocked traditional long ish hair, a kind of Joey Ramone affair, a truly hideous mullet mid/late 80s then, as I started gan bald, a last hurrah young Billy Connelly kinda look.
Now?
Shaved.

Now? The Gary Glitter look last time I saw you.:O

InversneckieDob
30-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Now? The Gary Glitter look last time I saw you.:O

I like to think I'm "reclaiming" that particular look.

Pacman1903
30-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Do you think id get away with "reclaiming" the Hitler tash and side parton look. I wonder what the publics reaction would be

Anyway, theres only one way to settle the debate

http://i67.tinypic.com/2hhp4js.png

InversneckieDob
30-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Do you think id get away with "reclaiming" the Hitler tash and side parton look. I wonder what the publics reaction would be

Comedian Richard Herring did that a few years back, did a tour out of it.

Pacman1903
22-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Playing Toon in May

Im offshore so i winna be there vut after the boredom of Donington it would have been an expensive boredom as its the AECC which is nae cheap these days.

I wonder if ABZ is big enough to accept Ed Force 1 onto the runway

scobiemacd
22-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Playing Toon in May

Im offshore so i winna be there vut after the boredom of Donington it would have been an expensive boredom as its the AECC which is nae cheap these days.

I wonder if ABZ is big enough to accept Ed Force 1 onto the runway

The AECC is the worst venue Ive ever been to. Wouldn't go back even if Wham! reformed.

Pacman1903
22-09-2016, 11:07 PM
The AECC is the worst venue Ive ever been to. Wouldn't go back even if Wham! reformed.

The AECC destroyed Motörheads sound and for tbat they can ram any over priced gigs up their hoop

ragnarok
23-09-2016, 05:30 AM
I was a massive Metalhead back in my ****s and early twenties. Never really managed to get into Maiden though. Part of the problem was that having gone from nu-metal crap in my mid ****s to the likes of Slayer and Metallica, I quickly assumed an irreversible trajectory towards the most obscure (and some might argue unlistenable) works I could find.

Basically if the album wasn't recorded in a barn in some remote mountainous region and released in limited volume in vinyl and cassette only, I wasn't interested. Extra points if any of the band members were serving long jail sentences for serious crimes.

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 08:31 AM
I was a massive Metalhead back in my ****s and early twenties. Never really managed to get into Maiden though. Part of the problem was that having gone from nu-metal crap in my mid ****s to the likes of Slayer and Metallica, I quickly assumed an irreversible trajectory towards the most obscure (and some might argue unlistenable) works I could find.

Basically if the album wasn't recorded in a barn in some remote mountainous region and released in limited volume in vinyl and cassette only, I wasn't interested. Extra points if any of the band members were serving long jail sentences for serious crimes.

Burzum?

ragnarok
23-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Burzum?

Was always a big fan of the 2nd and 3rd albums (before he went to prison). But Burzum is pretty much a staple if you're a serious BM fan.

Now 'Absurd' - there's a band with a kvlt worthy reputation. They were overtly Nazi for starters (Varg leaned that way but it wasn't really what Burzum was about) and the original members were all jailed for murder in 1993.

As far as bands that qualify on a musical basis, Moonblood's Blut und Krieg (not NSBM despite what the title might suggest...although I'm guessing they're not members of the Stop the War coalition) is possibly the quintessential kvlt record. It was a limited release of 666 tapes. And it's actually quite good.

And then you have 'Les Legions Noir' from the French BM movement who weren't exactly pushing the genre in a more accessible direction. Lesser know Norwegian acts such as Ildjarn were also a must for true BM fans.

There was a hell of a lot of dreck of course but the good thing is that some of it sounded so awful that there was no need to pretend to yourself that you liked it.

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 09:13 AM
You ken ill be checking all that out.

Jorm must be into some of it

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Fit aboot Archgoat. Remember hearing them on a free CD with Terrorizer mag.

ragnarok
23-09-2016, 09:26 AM
You ken ill be checking all that out.

Jorm must be into some of it

In retrospect my low point was probably when I was 20 and decided that Bethlehem's Dark Metal was my favourite album. It's brilliant but probably not the sort of album that you should have on consecutive repeated listens if you have any interest in remaining socially functional. I think I eventually decided that I needed to go out and get laid more often.

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Just listened to Bethlehem- Dorn Meiner Allmacht on youtube

Screamy and growly

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Been reading up on Bethlehem. Liked this. From wiki

Controversy

Until "Dictius Te Necare", Bethlehem faced censorship and was even banned from playing in some German cities. It started when guitarist Klaus Matton gave one copy of their first demo to a 14-year-old boy. After a while, the boy's mother started to call the band, saying that because of their music, her son become aggressive and built a "Satanic altar" in his room. In cooperation with other parents, they started a crusade against Bethlehem and their "satanic" music.

Were you the 14 year old boy Ragnarok min

ragnarok
23-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Were you the 14 year old boy Ragnarok min

Believe it or not but I was actually fairly normal at 14 XD.

Some of the later Bethlehem stuff was a bit self indulgent. Wasn't into the whole 'suicide' genre stuff. I mean how long can you sit around talking about killing yourself before I start to think 'not sure I believe you'. Check out 'Dark Metal' though. A bona fide underground classic.

Pacman1903
23-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Believe it or not but I was actually fairly normal at 14 XD.

Some of the later Bethlehem stuff was a bit self indulgent. Wasn't into the whole 'suicide' genre stuff. I mean how long can you sit around talking about killing yourself before I start to think 'not sure I believe you'. Check out 'Dark Metal' though. A bona fide underground classic.

Theres a full album live in Holland on youtube. Ill give it a bash

Pauldolski10
24-09-2016, 09:30 AM
I will be going to the hydro to see Maiden as the sound at the aecc the last time was awful. Probably still go to aecc show aswell though

Pacman1903
24-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Ask Bruce if you can get lift in Ed Force 1 from Glasgow to the toon Pauldolski.

Was hearing the AECC tix are 50 quid. Ooooof

leontrotsky
24-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Ask Bruce if you can get lift in Ed Force 1 from Glasgow to the toon Pauldolski.

Was hearing the AECC tix are 50 quid. Ooooof

54 smacker !!....

Pacman1903
24-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Alot of money for a sh@te sounding gig in a glorified aircraft hanger

leontrotsky
24-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Alot of money for a sh@te sounding gig in a glorified aircraft hanger

You're nae wrong there pac min

Pacman1903
24-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Im sure im away but if im nae i winna be paying that.

Missed them last time too as i ended up going affshore. Taxi driver to heliport took the ticket as the fare(wasnt 54 quid)

scobiemacd
24-09-2016, 11:00 AM
I shall be attending the Hydro gig.

InversneckieDob
24-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Im getting on but still a heid banging bar-steward. Never had the hair or the grease though

Sadly the hair is a memory now for me.

Still a greasy chunt like.

Pacman1903
24-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Still a chunt .

FiFY

InversneckieDob
24-09-2016, 11:43 AM
FiFY

:)

I didnae think we'd met .......... ;D

scobiemacd