View Full Version : Top 100 Guitar Solos Ever

Pacman1903
06-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Good read this if anyones interested

For me though it has to be Allen Collins in "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Closely followed by Eruption By Eddie Van Halen

Then "Highway Star" By Ritchie Blackmore

They all make it

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-09-30/the-100-greatest-guitar-solos-of-all-time

irnbru1903
06-10-2016, 09:47 AM
So many spring to mind including the ones you mention especially Freebird but I have always loved Randy Rhoads's style especially on the live version of Mr Crowley.

Kirk Hammet on a few but lets say Fade to Black .... no Master of Puppets ..... no stick with Fade to Black.

For a golden oldie Eric Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

My general rule is if it has me humming along inanely and playing the air guitar like a total muppet then it must have something going for it.

DodHagi
06-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Good read this if anyones interested

For me though it has to be Allen Collins in "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

phuckin hell min, explains a lot about your music taste :zzz::zzz: i imagine Nigel Farage, Gareth Southgate and Barry Hollywood fae bakeoff would agree with you aswell!

Pacman1903
06-10-2016, 09:10 PM
F@cking great solo. Never said i was big on the tune.

Credit where credits due to guitar players

57vintage
06-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Fair enough, but Mick Taylor on Time Waits For No-one (final track side one on my original 74 It's Only Rock N Roll) takes a bit of beating.

Then there's Elvin Bishop's tasteful showcase on Fooled Around and Fell In Love.

James Burton on Ricky Nelson's Hello Mary Lou.

Duane Allman and Dickey Betts co-laldieing it on Statesboro Blues.

Peter Green on Need Your Love So Bad.

Eric Clapton on Have You Heard on The Bluebreakers album.

Mick Green (or is it?) on Shakin All Over.

Etc

stewarty27
07-10-2016, 12:26 PM
David Gilmour's solo on comfortably numb takes a bit of beating. Richard Thompson is a very underrated guitarist IMO his solo on "Put it there Pal " is different and superb. Jimi on "All along the Watchtower" is so dreamy. I've always liked Martin Barrie's solo on Aqualung but doubt if it would make any top solo chart. Elliot Randall of Steely Dan has some crackers reelin in the years probably the best. Zappa also was an underrated picker.

Pacman1903
07-10-2016, 12:32 PM
David Gilmour's solo on comfortably numb takes a bit of beating. Richard Thompson is a very underrated guitarist IMO his solo on "Put it there Pal " is different and superb. Jimi on "All along the Watchtower" is so dreamy. I've always liked Martin Barrie's solo on Aqualung but doubt if it would make any top solo chart. Elliot Randall of Steely Dan has some crackers reelin in the years probably the best. Zappa also was an underrated picker.

Zappa was underated in general. For a man who didn't take drugs to come out with what he did lyrically is quality.

Pacman1903
07-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Another quality solo I missed (but its cheating a bit)

Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Cliff Burton. Ok it was bass but f@ck me he had chops

stewarty27
07-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Oh ****e I total forgot Paul Kossoff so many !! a lot of riffs but his solo on "walk in my Shadow" is blues personified !

gruppenfuhrer
11-10-2016, 08:34 PM
yngwie malms**** ,rising force

Gogsred
12-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Nah - Jimi Hendrix was the man. The solo and general guitar playing and riffs in many of his tracks was brilliant - the best riff was perhaps in Hey Joe. Fact.O:)

Hairdrier
17-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Guitar solos you say?
Listen to Eddie VH on Fair Warning, from a different planet.

elginred
17-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Always liked this one half way(2.45) thru Joe Cockers 'when the night comes' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o128kKfGw5E

Hairdrier
18-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Guitar solos you say?
Listen to Eddie VH on Fair Warning, from a different planet.

For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOL8e8oeTQ

Mr_Grieves
21-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Pixies - U Mass
Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene
****age Fanclub - Everything Flows
Pavement - The Hexx
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Neil Young - Cortez the Killer
Jimi Hendrix Experience - The Wind Cries Mary
Yo La Tengo - I Heard You Looking