Team: Forum: Display:
You are not logged in (viewing only)
Login  |  Register  |  Customise View  |  RSS Feed  |  Return to Forum Home
Joined 13 Jul 2007 Total club posts 11667 Daily Average 4.291 Total FM posts 11684 Daily Average 4.297

ablueclaret

We can do better than this Nobody can take SD's magnificent achievement last season away from him, but now that the glass ceiling is bearing down on him his strengths are quickly becoming his weaknesses and his method a liability.
When he arrived at the club it was his inflexibility which marked him out, a certain singularity of purpose, and it very nearly took us into the 3rd tier, at the very last he changed his approach brought in a holding midfielder and ended the season positively.
Then the season of glory, aided by some inspired recruitment a tight compact squad divested of superfluous players and a simple but effective method of play in which each member knew his role and where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.
It was a classic case of a manager adopting a simple but effective method sticking with it and achieving success, but it wasn't an adaptable approach, like the manager there was a certain regimentation about it, and for it to succeed at a higher level it required strategic recruitment. Sadly we didn't get that and the old adage quantity over quality once again became the club motto, back to BL's time, and sadly the same result.
The question needs asking what had OC got that SD appears not to have. He after all was an equally intransigent man with significantly less idea of strategy than SD but what he did have was a belief in the excitement of football, there was a vastly different atmosphere last time round, the recruitment might have been as bad but it was exciting recruitment, lots of bright young things, and of course at the centre of it one knowing old head Alexander whose prescence enabled those of a more skillful nature to flourish. Yes it all ended in tears but at times we looked the part.The secret has to be that each match must become a Cup match, and OC could capture that feel, David pitted against Goliath.
In many ways this side is more efficient than the last but it lacks verve and dynamic, and if 4-4-2 is not providing it then SD had better quickly find another way.
For those that think SD is immune from sacking, think again, when a side looses its way change is inevitable.
It's now time for SD to show his mettle and re-invent this side. Strong down the spine is always a good motto to follow and so protection for the central pairing at this level looks essential, whether that be Mee, Ward or Chalobah I don't know but unless we change we'll be found out week after week.
OC may not have been a great manager but the spirit we had when he was in charge is what we need now, and perhaps a Kevin MacDonald.
27 October 2014 08:43 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Going in the wrong direction ? Worrying signs that the club are going down a very bleak street with so many 'comfort blanket' signings.
Yes experience is useful but to sign so many almost players on contracts which will take them beyond SD's reign is disturbing. One year contracts maybe, any more troubling.
The club appear to be falling into the trap they did in Laws time of quantity over quality.
Fearful of their mistakes in signing youth over experience last time they have gone to the other extreme.
Youth has to be our way forward and identifying young talent our number one priority. It's a nice mixture of youth and experience that have got us here but we seem to have forgotten that in our rush for security. For me a big mistake.
16 August 2014 10:02 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Forum contributions

replied to Eddie Howe

Will we get lift-off ? Looking at this Board which I still do every now and then there's a very different feel to when we last visited the promised land. Then it was all euphoria, signings that latter turned out damp squibs generated enthusiasm and interest, nothing it appeared could whet the appetite of the true claret.It had of course been a long wait but more importantly the fans had bought into the Messianic message.
And of course for a while the Messiah continued to deliver, we did get lift off and he proved a little more adept in on-field planning than the few critics he had thought likely. Even approaching the denouement the names mentioned as incoming loanees still excited, young up and coming stars.
The rest of course is history.

Why then does the run up to this camapign appear so different, almost anti-climactic.
Yes there is an underlying layer of excitement but the overall feel is one of slightly disappointed cynicism and this is before a ball is kicked.
What's the difference?
Well we certainly have a more proficient manager who shares many of the attributes of OC without theaccompanying paraphanalia, and yet of course many still remain uncertain of his tenure and what will happen when he leaves.
We have a squad which has more solidity and purpose than last time and yet of course it does lack a little of that sparkle which Elliott Eagles Blake Jay and even at that time McCann provided, and those signings, mostly unknown youngsters gave hope and expectation. This time around the signings have been more thoughtful but less eye catching. No young starlets picked out of obscurity, solid some might say staid professionals here to do a job of work. but would we have expected anything else from SD?
But that of course leaves Ings and the doubts surrounding him, the paucity of strength in midfield and the concerns about the centre of defence. Last time these vulnerabilities didn't concern us, we'd returned to the sun that was all that mattered. This time its more serious. Perhaps the clubs future is not at stake but to pass-up this second opportunity to secure it long-term stability would appear folly.
Now we want more than a year in the sun, the stakes are higher. Are we good enough to survive. That is the question ?
And the answer, well none of us know. If Ings leaves, the mountain would become an extremely arduous one to climb, already there is too little special match-turning talent in the side and to lose him could make us pedestrian at best, and yet last season this side proved itself capable of wheeling off performance after performance, there is more to it than the sum of its parts.
But for me at least getting lift-off is all important. After 10 games one would hope for 15 points, then I think this side could aim for the top 10, 5 or below and it will be a very long season.At present despite the lack of those marquee signings there is room for optimism. Here's hoping Mr Ings gives us one more year of endeavour before returning to warmer climes.
07 August 2014 08:28 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Get off Ings back I've resisted posting on here for sometime and after this epistle will vanish again, but don't the good folks of Burnley realise that Ings is the one player who can make this team worthy of the Premiership.
Without him we'll struggle big time, so forget the contract business and get behind the player.

He is the one player we have who can cause opposition managers a headache, just be glad we've got him.
Bye.
02 August 2014 10:27 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Forum contributions

replied to Sean and his Germanic philosophy.

A parting shot The dream has been realised and in a way much more satsfying than last time. Not perhaps by such a flambouyant side or manager but by one with real character endeavour and no little skill at its core. This side and manager are truly worthy of promotion in a way OC's side weren't, they have it within them to do well next year and surprise a few more pundits.
Many of us suspected the defence would be amongst the meanest in the division, and Ings and Vokes always looked a likely pair although they both exceeded expectations by some margin, but it was in midfield that SD's real success lay. To link Jones and Marney proved a masterstroke, and one few on here would I believe have predicted to be so successful, but to add Arfield to that mix was to my mind the reason this side succeeded. He and to a lesser extent Kightley added non stop energy and no little skill, it meant we had no weak spots, it was a complete unit and one that showed it had the resilience and self belief to battle through the tough times that inevitably came towards the end, and of course SD showed that sticking to a plan can work even when some charlatons like myself are calling for a greater degree of flexibility. he deserves the utmost credit.

Now of course as promised, promotion sees the demise of abc, and not before time I can hear some of you shouting, but before meeting his waterloo just a few thoughts from abroad on next season and the future of this club.

(1)Its good we've got no fancy giveaways on season tickets which cost us so dear last time, but lets hope the directors don't call in their loans all at once. We will need much more financial freedom than we did last time if this club is trully to move forward.I've a great deal more confidence in the Board this time but lets wait and see.

(2)Lets get the Youth and development squad sorted along with Academy status. Do we still see developing youth talent as our way forward or should we be buying in young players from lower division clubs. A clear decision needs to be made as to the viable way forward, and that must to my mind mean the resurrection of a reserve team playing competitive matches.

(3)Squad size. Now its always been my belief that a small squad works best both from a players perspective and a managers and I hope we keep with that philosophy.18-20 would always be best in my eyes but certainly no more than 22.It may be prudent in the first year in the division to be more flexible than the ideal because one is looking in a sense in both directions. That to me means getting players on short contracts (12 months) with good bonuses for staying up. A reassessment can be done again at the end of the season.
(4) When it comes to recruitment I don't see that much need, possibly a centre-back, a couple of midfielders and a couple of strikers given that Vokes might not have much of a role to play next year, possibly three if Ings departs.
(5)When it comes to retention,I'd be offering Edgar, Lafferty and Long 12 month contracts along possibly with Stanislas, and be prepared to lose Trippier and Ings if they decide to take bigger salaries elsewhere. They would be big losses but unity of purpose has been shown to be more important.We need players with a hunger to play for Burnley and whilst Sd is here I think we will get that.
(6) As for the manager, well he's bound to be wanted, although managing a tight knit squad like ours is very different from dealing with a squad of super-egos. Hopefully the Board are prepared for the possibility of his departure but at the same time willing to finance his improvement of this side as in many ways they did with OC, at least until that fateful New Year period.

So that leaves me just to say, farewell and the hope that it some considerable time until I return to this Board, although of course the departure of SD might just see me back tracking, but that's not going to happpen, is it ?

OP seems to want to bow out gracefully so thread closed.
22 April 2014 22:46 Started on 'Eli's' forum
When teams implode I'm not sure many of us would have thought both Derby and QPR would both show signs of imploding but it is about this time of the season when teams start to feel the heat, as it becomes a test of character and will, and of coure for a team like ours fitness and adaptability.

Every match of course is crucial and playing it that way has got SD's team where it is, but today and Saturdays match against Leeds are crucial if this side is to make it to the promised land. We know Burnley never like making things easy, and this is a very heady position to be in, but there are as other teams are finding out a very thin line between success and failure, and one defeat can easily lead to a second, so a result against Birmingham tonight be it draw or win is vital to keep this season and side on course to the success they so richly deserve, and set them up for what is bound to be another adrenaline sapping encounter against Leeds.
Sometime in the next few weeks we are going to discover just how well this side can deal with adversity, the signs are good but the further away they can get from the pack now, the better.
12 March 2014 08:11 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Are you a fan, supporter, follower,or interested bystander ? During my life I think I've been at one time or another all of these but now probably a follower more than a fan, which is how I started off. 06 March 2014 09:48 Started on 'Eli's' forum
Forum contributions

replied to Calm before the...

Who's online
13 users currently online on this team's forums plus 301 guests viewing at 14:05 hrs. on Monday 22 December 2014 the_quoon (82 minutes), dannyb92 (77), cloughyclaret (49), half_pound_of_trip (47), clarettony2014 (32), longside4evr (22), dsr (20), iknowhim1882 (17), smithybridgeclaret (17), claretblue (14), lifeofriley (7), claretchrish (6), rileybobs (0).
Burnley forum statistics
  • Total registered users:19,437
  • Newest user (date):centrespot (Yesterday)
  • Total club posts:3,463,168
  • Top poster (count):ClaretTony (38,602)
Post League Table for Burnley
Pos User Posts
1 clarettony 38,602
2 jdrobbo 32,849
3 tybfc 31,644
4 bigdave48 31,493
5 ianmcl 31,277
6 muchacho 27,343
7 edison 26,768
8 lancasterclaret 24,307
9 tuftybeamish 24,110
10 spadesclaret 20,789