Team: Forum: Display:
You are not logged in (viewing only)
Login  |  Register  |  Customise View  |  RSS Feed  |  Return to Forum Home

Any truth in the rumour? - Aston Villa FC forum

Topic started: Sunday 03 March 2013 10:06 AM
TrianonDaveUser is Offline Posts: 697Liked: 20 times in 18 postsJoined: May 2012Reserves2 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 10:06
Any truth in the rumour?
That Randy is in talks with a Canadian ice hockey billionaire who is looking to buy in to us? Sorry if this has been posted before only i have been away on business and trying to catch up! A good friend of mine who is a real villa nut and has some contacts down VP! he seemed pretty up beat but it is just a rumour and I do not want to get any ones hopes up! if it was true? it would fall in line as to my post sent a few weeks ago saying Randy is asset stripping in readiness for a sale!!!;D

So, true or false?
IANTHEHOLTEUser is Offline Posts: 39Joined: October 2005Trialist9 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 10:22
re: Any truth in the rumour?
Heard this on friday, rumour at the minute.His name is john thompson i believe...I hope hes got plenty of $$$ to build a championship team to compete...;D ;D
TrianonDaveUser is Offline Posts: 697Liked: 20 times in 18 postsJoined: May 2012Reserves2 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 10:26
ITH where did you hear this rumour?
IANTHEHOLTEUser is Offline Posts: 39Joined: October 2005Trialist9 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 10:31
mate at work told me about it, just done a search on him.He does have a considerable amount of dosh if he wants to come to villa fair enough...listed as 17th richest in world previously...
Posted 03 Mar 2013 10:49
I still do not know why Randy has decided to go on this no spend crusade as since he has been here (6 years) we have from the prem been awarded nearly 300 million sold nearly 100 million, no way has he or the club spent 400 million in this time, with the latest figures apparently the club still owes him 100 million with interest waived!

I am so confused with the villa books at the minute :? i think some cooking is going on in Randy's favour! Next season the tv monwy doubles so why he has taken this massive risk cannot be for the benefit of us the fans and only him surely, I have stated before, he will walk away with 300 mill profit from his 54 million investment, that's success in the business world!
rob28User is Offline Posts: 2,800Liked: 18 times in 14 postsJoined: December 2004Hall of Fame9 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 11:00
It doesn't matter how much money he has spent! The team is no better now that it was under Ellis and O'Leary! What's the point of spending hundreds of millions of pounds and move no further forward?
Complete lack of strategy is what is costing us!
thejshow78's avatarthejshow78User is Offline Posts: 6,735Liked: 108 times in 93 postsJoined: July 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 11:13
Some of you are soo fookin ungrateful, acting like 100 million quid is nothing.
Nobody was complaining about his level of investment when we were only outspent by Citehtihad.
How can you say we are no better than when DOL was in charge (which is true) but this isn't Lerers fault.If you lend the club that amount of money and then waive the 5% interest at the bottom of a recission I will respect your rant, but you haven't.
Its quite simple what Randy is doing, he is preparing the club for the FFP while at the same time (it seems to me) through Lamberts influence trying to rebuild Villa in Dortmunds image.
Also a tidy shop and well run books is a better looking investment than most prem teams. A rich individual could buy Villa but it wouldn't really change anything, we still needed to bring down running costs which were one of the biggest in the league, if Lerner hadn't done what he had done then there would be a good chance Villa would be in serious financial trouble.
Randy Lerner is a canny investor who as experience owning sports clubs, he has Villa's best interest at heart and isn't looking to make a quick profit, patently. Thats why Doug sold to him, he could have got more for the club for some dodgy oil barons but he chose Lerner because he trusted him to never risk the clubs future.
Brendan00User is Offline Posts: 7,904Liked: 85 times in 73 postsJoined: May 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 11:19
'rob28' wrote at 11:00 on 03 Mar:
What's the point of spending hundreds of millions of pounds and move no further forward?
Complete lack of strategy is what is costing us!

Yes, it's not lack of money it is lack of a coherent strategy.

Spend bucket loads of cash to build the team under Martin O'Neil, and then suddenly go completely the other way, stop the funding immediately and start selling off our better players. Be willing to pay very high wages a few seasons ago and then suddenly move to a low wage strategy trying to offload all our high earners and buy new players from lower leaguews who have lower wage expectations.

No coherent long term strategy. Going from feast to famine overnight. It's no wonder we're in the mess we're in now.

Luckily I think we do have enough to avoid the drop this season, but only just, and simply surviving relegation will certainly not have me cracking open any champagne bottles.
bemboUser is Offline Posts: 2,956Liked: 61 times in 52 postsJoined: July 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 12:32
i think we can all agree that the "feast" let us down. i wouldn't call spending all that money just to finish 6th 3 seasons in a row a success. i think Lerner was hoping for Champions league qualification which could have been achieved if MON had utilised his team properly, 9 points ahead of Arsenal and he ****ed it up. league cup, didn't win it. FA cup semi final, Dunne up front when we were just 1-0 down? that's failure, not success.

he failed his 5 year objective and at the end of it all we made a high loss, that is bad investment, so time for a plan b, which is the opposite of spending high. even after selling all the best players, removing some of the high earners, as arran said made a profit on transfers but he forgot to look at the bigger picture that we still made a loss of 17 million.

so this is where bren is right, there is no particular "known strategy" in place, J thinks it's the "Dortmund plan" others think otherwise. the club has a bad PR system and a bad financial system, if you want to reduce the losses, you need to be thinking of ways to increase the revenue. not by selling off bits of land but searching for bigger sponsorship deals, getting the team to appear in tv adverts like DHL/man utd & etihad/man city. get more local businesses involved in the club, etc.
thejshow78's avatarthejshow78User is Offline Posts: 6,735Liked: 108 times in 93 postsJoined: July 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 17:45
'thejshow78' wrote at 11:13 on 03 Mar:
Nobody was complaining about his level of investment when we were only outspent by Citehtihad.
How can you say we are no better than when DOL was in charge (which is true) but this isn't Lerers fault.If you lend the club that amount of money and then waive the 5% interest at the bottom of a recission I will respect your rant, but you haven't.
Its quite simple what Randy is doing, he is preparing the club for the FFP while at the same time (it seems to me) through Lamberts influence trying to rebuild Villa in Dortmunds image.
Also a tidy shop and well run books is a better looking investment than most prem teams. A rich individual could buy Villa but it wouldn't really change anything, we still needed to bring down running costs which were one of the biggest in the league, if Lerner hadn't done what he had done then there would be a good chance Villa would be in serious financial trouble.
Randy Lerner is a canny investor who as experience owning sports clubs, he has Villa's best interest at heart and isn't looking to make a quick profit, patently. Thats why Doug sold to him, he could have got more for the club for some dodgy oil barons but he chose Lerner because he trusted him to never risk the clubs future.
Bona fide crap I spout sometimes XD
Arran007's avatarArran007User is Offline Posts: 10,344Liked: 139 times in 110 postsJoined: August 2007Hall of Fame7 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 18:13
'thejshow78' wrote at 11:13 on 03 Mar:

He might be a canny investor, however the team on the pitch is shyte !

This is Premiership football, not stocks and shares, Lerner is a businessman not a football man. I bet that Villa tattoo on his leg is henna one and has washed oof now !
User edit 03 Mar 18:16
bemboUser is Offline Posts: 2,956Liked: 61 times in 52 postsJoined: July 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 19:37
unfortunately Arran, football has become less about football and more about business. it's money money money and with money there is the club value, the more it earns the more valuable it is. if man utd didn't have such a big revenue, do you think they would be worth 1billion pounds on the market? i doubt it.

if RL sells up to another rich investor, it wouldn't make a difference, the club would still have to spend what it earns. like with any other business if you prop it up with your own money and don't make a return, you eventually run out of money and your business collapses. the same happens with a club. it happened to Portsmouth and it's happening to clubs below just trying to break the barriers so they can play in the oh so desirable premier league. they're not in the league to play just because of the football, they want in it because they want a slice of the pie(money).

it's like a ponzi scheme set up by Sky sports & scudamore. sold clubs the product, here's the money and clubs spend over the hilt just to stay in the league because of that money package and when they get relegated, sky don't care and the club is left in a rotten mess. i prefer it before the premiership. the game was less corrupt, every game was held on a saturday and any club had the chance of winning something.
Withers's avatarWithersUser is Offline Posts: 949Liked: 10 times in 10 postsJoined: January 2011First Team3 year member
Posted 03 Mar 2013 21:45
'bembo' wrote at 19:37 on 03 Mar:

it's like a ponzi scheme set up by Sky sports & scudamore. sold clubs the product, here's the money and clubs spend over the hilt just to stay in the league because of that money package and when they get relegated, sky don't care and the club is left in a rotten mess. i prefer it before the premiership. the game was less corrupt, every game was held on a saturday and any club had the chance of winning something.

Couldn`t agree more. If you look at the stats, 5 clubs have won the PL in the 20 seasons it has been going. In the 20 seasons prior to the PL (the old 1st Div) 8 clubs won the title.

In the Champions League, it was won 4 times. Man U (2) Liverpool & Chelsea. In the old European Cup, it was won 7 times. Liverpool (4) Notts F (2) and Villa. This of course includes the years we were banned from europe so we could actually have won more.

So does this show, if fact, that the PL isn`t stronger but just has more money?

Since the PL started we have had Abramovic and his billions hiking up the transfer fees and wages followed by others trying to keep up and hiking them up even further. Of course we have more live matches thanks to sky but the only real winners that I can see is the players. It`s hard to see where things are heading.

It`s football Jim, but not as we know it. :blue:
Posted 03 Mar 2013 23:56
i think Baggiesteve asked a question about the difference between old division 1 and premiership apart from money on another thread. he answered his own question, take away money from the premiership and it's still the old division 1 but faster and fitter players. Fifa & UEFA want fair play rules, unfortunately they are too late for that, they should have introduced it 20 years ago.
villamon1User is Offline Posts: 648Liked: 27 times in 19 postsJoined: January 2011Reserves3 year member
Posted 04 Mar 2013 18:48
jeez, feel like one minute it's rare to see the likes of 'the three degrees' at baggies, foreign talent Ardellis / Villa at Spurs and stands, then, in a blink of an eye here we are! You gotta admit Sky were very shrewd, long term plan and all
Posted 05 Mar 2013 20:25
coincidence that this banner was up at Villa Park last night. it wasn't me, i was at work.

Unknown image

some are seeing it as someone to blame for our downfall but i'm not sure where their logic applies in this.
statesideUser is Offline Posts: 16,621Liked: 169 times in 145 postsJoined: September 2005 Site ModeratorHall of Fame9 year member
Posted 06 Mar 2013 00:39
This guy Thomson is from England. He is the richest person in Canada.

Winnipeg lost it's hockey club a few years ago and last year he (and others) purchased the struggling Atlanta side and moved it back to Winnipeg.

The season was delayed due to a lockout by the owners. This season is severely shortened, so not sure what kind of owner he will be or if he can get the fans back to see the Jets.
Posted 09 Mar 2013 09:29
Listenening to talk sport on Friday evening they had some geezer on from the FT, the topic was about Arsenal and a new invester blah blah but this guy (cannot recall his name) was not an agent nor a footballer a banker? he said that the Kataris are actively looking to buy in to a top prem team (ruling us out)but he did say " these guys are serious and even though there are team who could do with investment, they want a top team, not an Aston Villa, although it's no secret their chairman (villa)is now looking to offload the club to an a new invester" he said it like it was common knowlledge in the financial world but not the footballing world!! interesting!

So maybe some truth eh! :?
Who's online
79 users currently online across all Footymad forums plus 2591 guests viewing at 22:19 hrs. on Monday 24 November 2014 bongosdad (17 minutes), charlie_wayman (77), minniemouth (74), yoouupiessss (74), arabian_ian (74), ozzymiller (68), quicknick (66), kill_the_drum (55), dibranchio (55), gunboat (54), eaststandred (54), spunkybackpack21 (54), blockd (53), meatismurder (51), jolly_roger (47), buxtonclaret (47), seanbeanstattoo (47), timmy58 (46), swaddon (44), moonboot (43), toby1 (43), thestiffler (41), laticrmi (38), bigrich (38), eddy779h34 (36), thedonz (34), thedead (34), jim (32), knockoffnigel (32), nevermore666 (32), supercrewe (31), sabellaalex (30), lendegoey (30), cricketfield72 (29), patey (29), englebertwincobank (28), brin (27), bennyd (26), tazzydjr (25), proclaimer (25), boaby81 (25), sidney1st (23), jqzblade (23), royboy (23), worcesterbaggie (22), costabaz (20), rovrumkebab (20), blades58 (20), half_can_dan (20), grayblade (20).
Aston Villa forum statistics
  • Total registered users:5,543
  • Newest user (date):RedditchVillan (Today)
  • Total club posts:401,209
  • Top poster (count):stateside (16,621)
Post League Table for Aston Villa
Pos User Posts
1 stateside 16,621
2 birminghamborn 12,859
3 yubbywelch 12,507
4 av4ever 12,161
5 theleftside 11,661
6 arran007 10,344
7 0_drunkenbushman_0 9,190
8 ozfan 8,816