c:windowstempphpa555.tmp

Team: Forum: Display:
You are not logged in (viewing only)
Login  |  Register  |  Customise View  |  RSS Feed  |  Return to Forum Home

Ayr United 9th March - Queen of the South FC forum

Topic started: Saturday 23 February 2013 22:12 PM
JRSLEFTPEG's avatarJRSLEFTPEGUser is Offline Posts: 3,435Liked: 15 times in 11 postsJoined: May 2006Hall of Fame8 year member
Posted 23 Feb 2013 22:12
Ayr United 9th March
I have a strong feeling that the title will be clinched at Palmerston this day
wull2001User is Offline Posts: 779Joined: November 2002Hall of Fame12 year member
Posted 23 Feb 2013 22:33
re: Ayr United 9th March
You may well be right but I'd like to see Brechin play a few more matches. At moment they have 4 games in hand over Queens and are potentially are closest challengers. Saying that I don't think they will reach the total number of points we already have but untl it is mathematically...
DobmeisterUser is Offline Posts: 716Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: August 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 23 Feb 2013 23:10
'wull2001' wrote at 22:33 on 23 Feb:
You may well be right but I'd like to see Brechin play a few more matches. At moment they have 4 games in hand over Queens and are potentially are closest challengers. Saying that I don't think they will reach the total number of points we already have but untl it is mathematically...
Indeed. If Alloa and Brechin continue to pick up points at the rate they have for the season so far then they would reach 65 points and thus the league is already won. Nonetheless let`s wait until it`s confirmed until we really celebrate.
nithvalleyUser is Offline Posts: 2,255Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: November 2007Hall of Fame7 year member
Posted 24 Feb 2013 00:03
That would be fantastic JR but given the games that Brechin have in hand - and when they are scheduled for - it is unlikely. They now have another one from today.

A win against them on Tuesday would be helpful - if the game is on !

I am still predicting Alloa (A) on 23 March but perhaps Brechin (H) the week after if they win their games in hand.

I am not certain, but I think historically as teams get nearer to winning a Title one or two unexpected results pop up.

Hopefully we can buck that trend.
Blue_Army's avatarBlue_ArmyUser is Offline Posts: 905Joined: November 2002Hall of Fame12 year member
Posted 24 Feb 2013 09:52
My concern with Brechin's games in hand is that we actually clinch the championship without kicking a ball on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. I do think they will drop points in their midweek games such is the schedule of games they have over the next few weeks, I just hope that it is us that get the points that matter rather than Brechin dropping them because after such an incredible season it would be an anti-climax if we're celebrating winning the league sitting at home watching Sky Sports News.

As NV above says, a win on Tuesday would be most welcome. I just wonder what chances there is of the game being on, there are reports that the pitch is in a really poor state.
User edit 24 Feb 09:53
FTIVANOUser is Offline Posts: 3,799Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: November 2007Hall of Fame7 year member
Posted 24 Feb 2013 11:19
Hammer as you say it would be great if we could clinch the title v Ayr at Palmy in front of, hopefully, a decent crowd but with only 4 home games left and 7 on the road I think we might be crowned champs away from Palmy.
Alloa points potential 78
Brechin points potential 83
but neither of them will reach that. In fact
big Homer could, like yesterday, do us another
favour when Arbroath play Alloa again on
Wednesday night.
Lord_PalmerstonUser is Offline Posts: 7,009Liked: 2 times in 2 postsJoined: November 2002 Super ModHall of Fame12 year member
Posted 24 Feb 2013 19:54
For us to win the League on March 9th -
We have to beat Brechin, East Fife (both away) and Ayr at Palmerston
Brechin have to LOSE their next 3 games ...
Alloa have to DROP 4 points in their next two games...
Queens would have 75 points
Alloa could only get 74 points
Brechin could only get 74 points
Francis_begbie_HFCUser is Offline Posts: 823Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: August 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 25 Feb 2013 10:09
the title will be won at arbroath the week after the ayr game lol
General1User is Offline Posts: 84Liked: 2 times in 2 postsJoined: August 2012Academy2 year member
Posted 25 Feb 2013 11:22
'JRSLEFTPEG' wrote at 22:12 on 23 Feb:
I have a strong feeling that the title will be clinched at Palmerston this day
A hope so it'll be a cracker of 21st party for the travel club that night
Lord_PalmerstonUser is Offline Posts: 7,009Liked: 2 times in 2 postsJoined: November 2002 Super ModHall of Fame12 year member
Posted 27 Feb 2013 22:51
That's the 9th March theory out of contention with Alloa beating Arbroath tonight ... I'm going for the Saturday home match with Brechin(the week before the Cup Final)for the title clincher (I hope!) ...
Francis_begbie_HFCUser is Offline Posts: 823Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: August 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 28 Feb 2013 09:59
i still go for the arbroath match ,alloa play brechin on the same day a draw would almost kill both teams ,after that game there will only be 24 points to play for .
nithvalleyUser is Offline Posts: 2,255Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: November 2007Hall of Fame7 year member
Posted 28 Feb 2013 13:02
Brechin will still have 30 points to play for after the Arbroath match.
Vera_CiousUser is Offline Posts: 1,060Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: August 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 28 Feb 2013 15:02
spot - on NV
Posted 01 Mar 2013 00:38
I've built in a bit of "leeway" in my calculation of March 30th against Brechin because I think we'll drop the odd point between now and the Cup Final ...
Posted 01 Mar 2013 09:19
yes nithvalley your correct but we are already 28 points above them and thay are away to alloa on the same day as we play arbroath i estimate we will be over 30 points clear of brechin after the arbroath game .
JRSLEFTPEG's avatarJRSLEFTPEGUser is Offline Posts: 3,435Liked: 15 times in 11 postsJoined: May 2006Hall of Fame8 year member
Posted 04 Mar 2013 22:39
We could well be in for a good game against Ayr. They won 4-1 away from home so surely they will have high confidence and have a go at us . Far preferable this to having to be up against a deep sitting side. I am looking for a crowd approaching 2 thousand for this one .
User edit 04 Mar 22:42
Posted 04 Mar 2013 23:52
As far as I know Michael Moffat, who scored all 4 of their goals at the weekend, is suspended for the trip to Palmerston.

This will certainly be one of our better League attendances as Ayr are the only team to bring a decent away support although they have been struggling of late.

You should be right JR "approaching 2 thousand for this one."
User edit 04 Mar 23:53
FTIVANOUser is Offline Posts: 3,799Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: November 2007Hall of Fame7 year member
Posted 05 Mar 2013 09:02
A win tonight for Ayr at home to Brechin and a result at Palmy and the Honest Men still have a chance of reaching the play - offs so could be a cracker on Saturday.
Posted 05 Mar 2013 22:27
Brechin win 2-1 tonight so therefore can still reach a total of 81 points (theoretically)... on the other hand Alloa can still (theoretically) reach 78 points ... I fear the Championship decider for Queens could be the Wednesday night at Brechin on 27th March when very few Queens fans will have an opportunity to witness the event ...
daftpunk1951User is Offline Posts: 483Liked: 1 time in 1 postJoined: April 2011Hall of Fame3 year member
Posted 06 Mar 2013 14:32
Or, even worse, without kicking a ball, virtue of Brechin
drawing or losing a midweek match. :(
arrol1919User is Offline Posts: 1,195Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: February 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 07 Mar 2013 16:07
'nithvalley' wrote at 23:52 on 04 Mar:
As far as I know Michael Moffat, who scored all 4 of their goals at the weekend, is suspended for the trip to Palmerston.

This will certainly be one of our better League attendances as Ayr are the only team to bring a decent away support although they have been struggling of late.

You should be right JR "approaching 2 thousand for this one."

Ayr will be without both Moffat & McAusland for the game against Queens this weekend .

Any news on the injury to Lyle & how long he'll be out for ..?
palmylad's avatarpalmyladUser is Offline Posts: 6,688Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: July 2004Hall of Fame10 year member
Posted 08 Mar 2013 12:56
Here's hoping tomorrow's attendance is affected too much by the cold & wet weather forecast and dare I say it the rugby being on at 2.30pm :(
palmylad's avatarpalmyladUser is Offline Posts: 6,688Liked: 5 times in 5 postsJoined: July 2004Hall of Fame10 year member
Posted 08 Mar 2013 14:53
From the SFL website -

Ayr United player/ manager Mark Roberts is contemplating including himself in the Honest Mens starting XI for the first time in over 3 months when they visit runaway leaders Queen of the South tomorrow.

The 37 year old looks set to play due to a shortage of strikers at Somerset Park as Michael Moffat is suspended and David Winters is a major doubt with a calf injury.

Roberts said: We face a massive period in our season as we start the final quarter of games at Queen of the South. I will start if David does not make it.
Vera_CiousUser is Offline Posts: 1,060Liked: 3 times in 3 postsJoined: August 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 08 Mar 2013 15:47
according to ayr forum only one mini bus from maybole coming to palmerston so this coupled with the miserable cold, damp weather forecast and the rugby on tv cannot see crowd anywhere near 2000 but hope am wrong
spotkickkingUser is Offline Posts: 797Liked: 2 times in 2 postsJoined: May 2011Hall of Fame3 year member
Posted 09 Mar 2013 08:18
After two week's out injured if Lyle is now fit would he come straight back into the team?
I would be expecting to start with the same team as last week. This then begs the question based on that bench of Smith, Paton, Willie and Holt, who drops out altogether if Lyle is fit again?
MUSKY's avatarMUSKYUser is Offline Posts: 4,036Liked: 16 times in 16 postsJoined: April 2003Hall of Fame11 year member
Posted 09 Mar 2013 17:32
Where were McKenna and Young today ?

That was another comfortable 3 points on a difficult pitch but the championship is getting closer.

Nice to see Ayr player manager Mark Roberts shake the QOS players hands as they left the pitch at the end, a nice touch.

Hope Ayr can string a few results together and make the play-offs but its going to be difficult for them.
The following user likes this post: palmylad
Posted 09 Mar 2013 17:34
Another Saturday and yet another victory for Queens . Totally dominated the game from start to finish . Credit to Ayr who defended well at times but goals from Lyle & Reilly see us go 20 points clear at the top .

Disappointing crowd though on a cold wet afternoon at Palmerston :blue:

Not long now before we're officially crowd champions of Division 2 :)
qosdreamerUser is Offline Posts: 180Liked: 1 time in 1 postJoined: April 2008First Team6 year member
Posted 09 Mar 2013 22:30
I must agree it was a really dissappointing crowd .I hope that players and managers are not put of staying by a perceived lack of support.Those not there missed out on absolutely dominant display.
I don't know the stats but we seemed to have hit a few timely goals before the interval and Lyle's bundled header was just in the nick of time.He was odds on to score with his kids as mascots.The goal was just reward for our possession even though the chances were not that plentiful.Reilly was having some joy in the left channel,Danny probably should have scored,Higgins looped a header of the post and Lyle was knocked of a headed chance before he outmuscled at the front post to put us 1 up.
I thought we tried to get the ball forward quicker in the second half and Ayr found the going a lot tougher.A marauding Holt was again prominent and the left provided the goal as i think Lyle crossed for Danny to cleverly head back for Gavin to cleanly slam home the second.That was game over as Ayr struggled to get out of their half.Nicky was unlucky with two headers especially a diving header from Guffs cross after some fine football.Smiths backside stopped a Danny pass from putting in Gavin and our young hotshot was dragged back by the left back in what looked like a goal scoring chance that brought a sympathetic yellow.The second half had some great possession football from the entire team topped of with a relentless pressing game.Ayr seldom had a choice of pass.
Ayr obviously missed the attacking threat of Moffat but i didn't see their game plan.They were admittedly more dogged than earlier games but i can only recall a Roberts drive around 70 minutes on target.Roberts in particular was not great with a spell in the first where he seemed trying to get sent off.
For Queens i thought the whole team played well with the two in the middle of the park sparking memories of the halcyon days of McKenna and Young.I thought Burns had the energy and drive of a younger version of himself.Basically the whole team can play football and had too much for Ayr today.Also good to see the discipline of no bookings for a third game.
20 points clear from one of our best sides ever.
portland10User is Offline Posts: 82Joined: February 2012Academy2 year member
Posted 10 Mar 2013 01:38
'MUSKY' wrote at 17:32 on 09 Mar:
Where were McKenna and Young today ?

That was another comfortable 3 points on a difficult pitch but the championship is getting closer.

Nice to see Ayr player manager Mark Roberts shake the QOS players hands as they left the pitch at the end, a nice touch.

Hope Ayr can string a few results together and make the play-offs but its going to be difficult for them.

Don't know about Young but i heard McKenna was on parental leave.
Bob_AgariUser is Offline Posts: 166Liked: 1 time in 1 postJoined: April 2012First Team2 year member
Posted 10 Mar 2013 19:57
"i heard McKenna was on parental leave."

That may possibly explain the "rocking the baby" celebration from Nicky Clark and McKenna after the second goal at Methil?
Posted 10 Mar 2013 20:33
New borns are hard work. McKenna might be like a zombie till the end of thr season.
Who's online
0 users currently online on this team's forums plus 6 guests viewing at 03:49 hrs. on Wednesday 26 November 2014
Queen o.t.S. forum statistics
  • Total registered users:2,905
  • Newest user (date):Moospelaster (This week)
  • Total club posts:248,461
  • Top poster (count):veteran (7,332)
Post League Table for Queen o.t.S.
Pos User Posts
1 veteran 7,332
2 telboy 7,102
3 lord_palmerston 7,009
4 palmylad 6,688
5 chipper1919 5,179
6 hotrod 4,789
7 musky 4,036
8 robqos 3,911