Team: Forum: Display:
You are not logged in (viewing only)
Login  |  Register  |  Customise View  |  RSS Feed  |  Return to Forum Home

Mixed feelings after win - Sheffield Wednesday FC forum

Topic started: Saturday 10 March 2012 23:13 PM
barnowlUser is Offline Posts: 1,309Joined: September 2005Hall of Fame9 year member
Posted 10 Mar 2012 23:13
Mixed feelings after win
This was my first live match in the Dave Jones era and I can honestly say that I've never come out of a game with so many emotions. First and foremost a win is always great. The 15 minute spell when we blew them away was also great and I was dreaming of 7 or 8's... then I awoke from my daydream and realised we'd gone flat as a pancake!

This also represented the first game in a long time when the first thought was to pass rather than offering meat and drink to central defenders by lumping the ball aimlessly forward. That said, some of our players will have to learn his style of play quickly or be replaced by players who can?

Lastly, whilst we could have perhaps scored a couple more, Bournemouth had 5 or 6 really good chances that but for Bywaters legs and some shocking finishing could have made for a completely different game?!

Mind you, how many times have we seen us dominate games only for the other team to bury their 1 or 2 chances to beat us?!

I guess you could call this a prumble?
RoygbivUser is Offline Posts: 1,209Liked: 876 times in 532 postsJoined: June 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 10 Mar 2012 23:19
re: Mixed feelings after win
Interesting hearing some of the Wednesday fans on Praise or Grumble. I expected the whole 'we are unstoppable' talk that football fans often come out with after a convincing win but your fans seemed strangely subdued. It sounds as though you you had it sewn up so early that the rest of the game was a bit of a bore
barnowlUser is Offline Posts: 1,309Joined: September 2005Hall of Fame9 year member
Posted 10 Mar 2012 23:47
To be honest roygbiv, you've summed it up pretty well. In fairness you have to credit Bournemouth for not throwing in the towel. Perhaps if they had scored 1 of their chances it may have jolted us to up our game again but they didn't so we certainly didn't force the issue. Like I said, very strange match and for me, not the elation you normally associate with a 3-0 win.
awayowlUser is Offline Posts: 4,321Liked: 40 times in 37 postsJoined: October 2006Hall of Fame8 year member
Posted 11 Mar 2012 07:09
'barnowl' wrote at 23:47 on 10 Mar:
To be honest roygbiv, you've summed it up pretty well. In fairness you have to credit Bournemouth for not throwing in the towel. Perhaps if they had scored 1 of their chances it may have jolted us to up our game again but they didn't so we certainly didn't force the issue. Like I said, very strange match and for me, not the elation you normally associate with a 3-0 win.

I think as roy says, yes it turns boring after such a start, but wat do you? Is there really any point going flat out and thrashing them 8-0?, not in my mind, as we have to finish every game for the rest of the season with a win to get (hopefully) a chance of automatic promotion.

if we can win and slow down, I will take that.
Posted 11 Mar 2012 10:43
Don't get me wrong awayowl, I know that one team rarely has complete domination in a game but I would have liked us to continue playing in the same vein because whilst we've got it the opposition haven't! Also, our goal difference is either worst or 2nd worst in the top 6 and if it came down to that between us and the Blades for automatic promotion we may look back on this game with some regret?

Overall though, a win's a win and it keeps us in contention and the pressure on the Blades. UTO
banno's avatarbannoUser is Offline Posts: 5,965Liked: 94 times in 79 postsJoined: August 2006Hall of Fame8 year member
Posted 11 Mar 2012 11:08
to be honest after the first 15 mins (which we were excellent) I thought they were the better side.
Unfortunatly for them the game was already over but they did look one of the best teams to come to hillsborough
Posted 11 Mar 2012 17:47
They were decent Banno and our defence looked very shaky, especially in the first half. It really hit home to me just how many situations Semedo breaks up. He's fast becoming a bit of a legend in my eyes!
superowl3's avatarsuperowl3User is Offline Posts: 9,136Liked: 11 times in 11 postsJoined: September 2008Hall of Fame6 year member
Posted 11 Mar 2012 18:20
overall, a win's a win and things will only get better under DJ.ROLL ON NC this sat.B)
MartowlUser is Offline Posts: 2,185Liked: 8 times in 6 postsJoined: January 2006Hall of Fame8 year member
Posted 11 Mar 2012 21:28
'barnowl' wrote at 23:13 on 10 Mar:
This was my first live match in the Dave Jones era and I can honestly say that I've never come out of a game with so many emotions. First and foremost a win is always great. The 15 minute spell when we blew them away was also great and I was dreaming of 7 or 8's... then I awoke from my daydream and realised we'd gone flat as a pancake!

This also represented the first game in a long time when the first thought was to pass rather than offering meat and drink to central defenders by lumping the ball aimlessly forward. That said, some of our players will have to learn his style of play quickly or be replaced by players who can?

Lastly, whilst we could have perhaps scored a couple more, Bournemouth had 5 or 6 really good chances that but for Bywaters legs and some shocking finishing could have made for a completely different game?!

Mind you, how many times have we seen us dominate games only for the other team to bury their 1 or 2 chances to beat us?!

I guess you could call this a prumble?

Took the words from my mouth as we left the ground... We were terrible at times at the back... could have easily been a different game had they taken their chances and had a little luck ... ah well... we rode it n we got through it... Thank Fk!
bobo11User is Offline Posts: 460Joined: January 2011Reserves3 year member
Posted 11 Mar 2012 22:12
Firstly for me a win is a win, I don't care if it was 1-0 in the last minute of injury time off a defenders backside. But it certainly makes a change from the hanging on in the dying minutes only to see a flukey long range effort sneak in for the equaliser, like so many recently. But after the game against Bury ( who also had their chances ) it's nice to get our 2 most convincing wins, score wise, in consecutive games. The team are definitely playing better football but like you say the players have to get used to a new philosophy. We won't dominate many full 90 minutes and at 3-0 so early it's natural that the team would take their foot off the gas a bit.
westernozbladeUser is Offline Posts: 104Liked: 7 times in 6 postsJoined: November 2010Trialist3 year member
Posted 12 Mar 2012 02:57
at this stage of the season when we are in for a nail-biting next few weeks, i thinks a win is such a relief that the feeling of elation that usually accompanies 3 points is lacking - its sort of like - thank god for that , now how might we c@ck it up next week??

personally - i reckon the team that finishes in 2nd spot , will be the one that has the most luck - nothing more.

there will be some good passages of play and alot of dire stuff!!

you can tell reading the two forums - the usual cross town rivalry rubbish has dropped off and now everyone is petrified of dropping points! More talk of football than massive-ness which has to be a good thing.

If nothing else - it makes for a sphincter tightening few weeks!

Personally , the blades history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory may well yet come into play - that game in hand may prove crucial.

as ive said before - im going for utd in second (as we would have no chance in playoffs) and you lot to win playoffs.

we both should be playing at a higher level - the fans and the city deserve it.
braggyowlUser is Offline Posts: 6,652Liked: 203 times in 169 postsJoined: January 2009Hall of Fame5 year member
Posted 13 Mar 2012 01:18
Eleven posts (twelve with mine) so far...

Two from Blades Supporters and the rest from Owls...

And every one a good un...

The last line of westernozblade's post says it all really.
Who's online
17 users currently online across all Footymad forums plus 1051 guests viewing at 06:47 hrs. on Sunday 26 October 2014 spionkop (52 minutes), herbert (32), needle (23), lufc63 (23), kill_the_drum (20), esa2 (14), rodcurrie (11), hilton82 (9), fatherknowsbest (8), blade for life (8), tallpault (8), scotslion58 (5), mcswegan (4), newmarket (2), nonsmokingsmokie (0), stutnb (0), bigdave48 (0).
Sheff. Wed. forum statistics
  • Total registered users:6,208
  • Newest user (date):Kresh27 (This week)
  • Total club posts:279,307
  • Top poster (count):helmut_rooster (9,571)
Post League Table for Sheff. Wed.
Pos User Posts
1 helmut_rooster 9,571
2 superowl3 9,136
3 s13owl 7,021
4 braggyowl 6,652
5 owlsaboutthat 6,547
6 banno 5,965
7 boob 5,821
8 aussieowl 5,702
9 rotherhamowl10 5,539
10 awayowl 4,321