+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Transfers and Rumours Summer 2024

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting that ‘all is lost’…that would be ridiculous. We’ve just earned promotion and are in a good position.
    That can’t disguise the fact however that, Nelson and Adams apart, the players that earned that promotion were largely those who preceded Warne…eg Collins, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Smith, Sibley, Bird, Forsyth, Cashin and Wildsmith.
    Now we’re losing at least three of them and have still to re-sign - if we’re going to to - last season’s ‘talisman’.
    The theme that I referred to is our repeated ‘ploy’ of getting rid of proven ‘talismanic’ players…McGoldrick, Knight and Davies from last season and Bird, Wildsmith and possibly Sibley from this. Some of them may have gone for very genuine reasons - we can never be sure - but all have left ‘big boots’ to fill and we’re back to needing a ‘keeper, a ball winning midfielder, a captain and a proven striker at the very least. That’s not being a ‘doom monger’…just how it is.
    rA, the theme is your opinion I get that, but I do think its one that isn't supported by the facts.

McGoldrick - openly stated that it was his choice to go to Notts the club where he started his career and probably knew he wouldn't reproduce the season he had had at Derby, no loss.

Davies - we needed an upgrade, we got an upgrade in Nelson and also Bradley even if he did take time to settle.

Knight - sold because the club wasn't in a position to offer a higher contract than a club in the league above, no mystery there.

Bird - ditto, though he did remain with us for the rest of the season.

With these there is absolutely no "ploy" to get rid, they weren't good enough going forward or moved to a club in a higher division at a time when Derby were unable due to financial restrictions match the contracts offered or needed to sell.

Wildsmith and Smith we don't know, where they finish up may tell us that, but its far fetched to suggest a theme here.

Yes we are rebuilding, Warne said as much after promotion, he will have a budget and targets to build the team that can be competitive in the championship, most surely expected there to be significant change this season?

I think your forgetting the part that Nyambe played up until his injury and Vickers provided good cover, John-Jules and Ward also chipped in with goals that won 6pts. So yes the spine of the team was recruited prior to warne's arrival, but uder the circumstances thats expected.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    rA, the theme is your opinion I get that, but I do think its one that isn't supported by the facts.

McGoldrick - openly stated that it was his choice to go to Notts the club where he started his career and probably knew he wouldn't reproduce the season he had had at Derby, no loss.

Davies - we needed an upgrade, we got an upgrade in Nelson and also Bradley even if he did take time to settle.

Knight - sold because the club wasn't in a position to offer a higher contract than a club in the league above, no mystery there.

Bird - ditto, though he did remain with us for the rest of the season.

With these there is absolutely no "ploy" to get rid, they weren't good enough going forward or moved to a club in a higher division at a time when Derby were unable due to financial restrictions match the contracts offered or needed to sell.

Wildsmith and Smith we don't know, where they finish up may tell us that, but its far fetched to suggest a theme here.

Yes we are rebuilding, Warne said as much after promotion, he will have a budget and targets to build the team that can be competitive in the championship, most surely expected there to be significant change this season?

I think your forgetting the part that Nyambe played up until his injury and Vickers provided good cover, John-Jules and Ward also chipped in with goals that won 6pts. So yes the spine of the team was recruited prior to warne's arrival, but uder the circumstances thats expected.
    The theme isn’t really ‘my opinion’, Swale…it’s just a possible explanation.
    I know the reason given for McGoldrick’s departure, but I always thought it strange that he should choose to leave after such a successful season in the ‘autumn’ of his career.
    In Davies’ case, a proper DCFC hero imo, I wasn’t actually surprised he went given his age and injury hit final season…but he went on to play more games for Cheltenham last season than Bradley did for us and he was a genuine, and much needed, leader.
    Don’t think there’s any doubt that that Knight and Bird were good enough but I understand the/your reasoning behind the former at least.
    Wildsmith and (possibly) Sibley I just can’t understand, but it maybe, given all the above, it’s just a case of the manager wanting to release the big characters, stamp his authority on the club and have a squad which is (almost) entirely his own.

You’re right, of course, about Nyambe. I had ‘forgotten’ him and he was a third excellent PW signing and also one with plenty of Championship experience too which can only be good. I’ve already said I have high hopes for Ward and possibly Wilson too, although he remains unproven beyond L1&2 level. I don’t doubt JJ’s ability but without an unlikely ‘pay as you play’ factor in his contract I fear that, sadly, his ‘fitness’ history makes him too great a risk.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that ‘all is lost’… .
    Intimated then. And I've trolled just about every forum, page, b/vlog and podcast going in making that assertion, I didn't think you did any other social media. There's certainly some doommongers out there, interestingly a number who not only know who's likely to be recruited but other more intimate things like DC's current bank balance and by extension his ability to keep the club afloat at any level at all.

PW (or his advisors, lets not forget we have a 'head of recruitment' FFS) can't really be judged wrt retentions/releases until the end of the transfer window, at which point we'll know the full picture

Now, who's having a testimonial this close season?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Intimated then. And I've trolled just about every forum, page, b/vlog and podcast going in making that assertion, I didn't think you did any other social media. There's certainly some doommongers out there, interestingly a number who not only know who's likely to be recruited but other more intimate things like DC's current bank balance and by extension his ability to keep the club afloat at any level at all.

PW (or his advisors, lets not forget we have a 'head of recruitment' FFS) can't really be judged wrt retentions/releases until the end of the transfer window, at which point we'll know the full picture

Now, who's having a testimonial this close season?
    I don't know who is having a testimonial?

A quick trawl of the internet and a conversation with my person ITK, Collins staying, Sibs still negotiating and unlikely to leave. So when the complete opposite happens you'll know my gen is duff!!

A rumour has surfaced that derby are interested in Bolton's Josh Sheehan whist the rumours about Murphy at oxford are nonsense, derby couldn't afford the likely fee.

Omari Forson a youngster just released by man U is being touted, think he will be snapped up by an established champ or even a prem club myself, but hey ho.

Adama Sidibeh a striker currently with St Johnstone is another name being bandied around, again clubs like Burnley, hull and so forth are supposedly interested.

Liverpool youngster Bobby Clark on loan is another rumour.

So there you go another day, another bunch of unsubstantiated rumours plus a bit of gossip from the club which may or may not be true.

Next week we should start to se some action, I hope so if only for the sake of rA's stress levels

The theme isn’t really ‘my opinion’, Swale…it’s just a possible explanation.
    I know the reason given for McGoldrick’s departure, but I always thought it strange that he should choose to leave after such a successful season in the ‘autumn’ of his career.
    In Davies’ case, a proper DCFC hero imo, I wasn’t actually surprised he went given his age and injury hit final season…but he went on to play more games for Cheltenham last season than Bradley did for us and he was a genuine, and much needed, leader.
    Don’t think there’s any doubt that that Knight and Bird were good enough but I understand the/your reasoning behind the former at least.
    Wildsmith and (possibly) Sibley I just can’t understand, but it maybe, given all the above, it’s just a case of the manager wanting to release the big characters, stamp his authority on the club and have a squad which is (almost) entirely his own.

You’re right, of course, about Nyambe. I had ‘forgotten’ him and he was a third excellent PW signing and also one with plenty of Championship experience too which can only be good. I’ve already said I have high hopes for Ward and possibly Wilson too, although he remains unproven beyond L1&2 level. I don’t doubt JJ’s ability but without an unlikely ‘pay as you play’ factor in his contract I fear that, sadly, his ‘fitness’ history makes him too great a risk.
    I'd agree with you re JJ, I mean he might be worth it on a free and as you say a game splayed related contract, but can't really see Warne gambling on him, unless he has some spare dosh after his main targets have been secured.

I would not like to be a manager at this time of the season, one can have players targeted, but then so do 23 other clubs and whereas in l1 derby might have had extra pulling power, in the championship we are unproven under the current regime, the likes of Hull Coventry, Leeds WBA etc. have both greater financial and opportunity clout to attract players.

Its going to be a fascinating season with Warne having to prove those who aren't confident he can handle the championship wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I'd agree with you re JJ, I mean he might be worth it on a free and as you say a game splayed related contract, but can't really see Warne gambling on him, unless he has some spare dosh after his main targets have been secured.

I would not like to be a manager at this time of the season, one can have players targeted, but then so do 23 other clubs and whereas in l1 derby might have had extra pulling power, in the championship we are unproven under the current regime, the likes of Hull Coventry, Leeds WBA etc. have both greater financial and opportunity clout to attract players.

Its going to be a fascinating season with Warne having to prove those who aren't confident he can handle the championship wrong.
    Entirely agree…and you can add the three relegated sides to that list. As you know I have my doubts about PW but I do actually hope to be proved wrong…again! Anything above lower mid table will be a very acceptable bonus imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; Today at 12:46 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)