+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our friend Mr Conway.

Our friend Mr Conway.

Calls for former Barnsley FC co-chairman to be banned from football worldwide after Belgian club's collapse.
    Yorkshire Post.
    Stuart RaynerPublished 17th May 2024, 17:00 BST

There have been calls for former Barnsley co-chairman Paul Conway to be banned from football worldwide after Belgian club Oostende were declared bankrupt.

Conway was voted off the board of the League One club after relegation in 2022, at which point his influence at Oakwell more or less ended. He retains a small shareholding which has been progressively diluted by investment from the existing board members.

Under Conway, Barnsley were part of a multi-club ownership whereby New City Capital and Pacific Media Group co-owned the Reds, Oostende, Swiss club Thun, Nancy in France, Danish side Esbjerg, Den Bosch (Netherlands), Kaiserslautern (Germany) and Tychy (Poland).

Football League charges against Conway and Chien Lee are still be resolved after Barnsley brought concerns about the pair to the governing body.

June 3 has questioned if Conway should be allowed to remain in the game after blaming his "mismanagement" for the 120-year-old Belgian club's collapse.
    Start the conversation
    Have your say. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
    Be the First to Comment
    Esbjerg were declared insolvent by a bankruptcy court in April and reconstituted without Conway.

Van Oosterwyck, who was made administrator in January, has disputed Conway's claims that he co-operated with attempts to facilitate a takeover by Apex Capital Group that would have allowed it to retain its licence to continue playing in the Challenger Pro League, Belgium's second tier, where they finished 13th out of 16 in the season just ended.

He accused the American of "making exuberant and changing demands", which he said this week became an offer to sell his shares for one euro, plus another £514,000 as soon as a takeover was completed, claims that Conway disputes.
    Oostende are thought to have debts of around £8.6m, rendering their shares worthless in van Oosterwyck's eyes.
    Put in charge of the club by its shareholders, Conway is described as "one of the main culprits", accusing him of "complete mismanagement and financial malpractice", and pointing to the £4.3m signing of Nancy's Mickael Biron in 2022, which he claimed was done so the Championnat club could meet its financial requirements for a licence.

He also said Conway had not met his guarantees to provide funds to Oostende.
    The facts are in dispute but van Oosterwyck revealed he had "filed several claims against him and his companies" pursuing damages.
    "The question is whether this man should not be banned from international football," he said. "He plays with clubs as if they are nothing and every emotion is foreign to him."

Ban the Guy.

Lock him Up.

He has fooled many people, including Barnsley FC fans, who salivated as his promise of riches beyond their dreams now and for ever more.

I remember 3 years ago we had a Conway Out protest group headed by Luke Goddard .

Everything the group said about Conway and co has proved to be correct and they were vilified across social media for speaking out .

The supporters trust were amongst the Conway Out groups fiercest critics .

Nobody from the supporters trust or their platform on bbs has had the grace to admit that Luke Goddard was right , not one person even though they themselves are now in full attack mode with regards to Conway .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I remember 3 years ago we had a Conway Out protest group headed by Luke Goddard .

Everything the group said about Conway and co has proved to be correct and they were vilified across social media for speaking out .

Nobody from the supporters trust or their platform on bbs has had the grace to admit that Luke Goddard was right , not one person even though they themselves are now in full attack mode with regards to Conway .
    And thus it was ever so, eh Animal. And the supporters trust will continue with the same people in place...

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

I think the BBS supported what Goddard was saying about Conway.
    As most supporters did.
    I know I did.

Although many now seem to have erased all their memories of Conway - his impact on the club - and the position the club finds itself in now as a direct result of his actions.

I didn’t take much notice at the time but some on the BBS were saying that Goddard had gone over the top with some of his claims.
    Don’t ask me about that - because I wasn’t interested.
    My interest at the time was focused on Conway.
    Thank God we have directors that wrestled the leadership off him.
    Hell knows where we would be now if they hadn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I think the BBS supported what Goddard was saying about Conway.
    As most supporters did.
    I know I did.

Although many now seem to have erased all their memories of Conway - his impact on the club - and the position the club finds itself in now as a direct result of his actions.

I didn’t take much notice at the time but some on the BBS were saying that Goddard had gone over the top with some of his claims.
    Don’t ask me about that - because I wasn’t interested.
    My interest at the time was focused on Conway.
    Thank God we have directors that wrestled the leadership off him.
    Hell knows where we would be now if they hadn’t.
    Luke Goddard received a mountain of abuse, much of it personal, on the BBS at the time of his Garrison Presentation and the Conway Out Group.

To repeat yet again--- Parekh and Cryne had the balance of power handed to them when the Investor Group ditched Conway and aligned their 20% of shares with Parekh and Cryne. No wrestling required.

And where is our mutual 'friend' and fan Luke Goddy now ehh. Sadly we don't see him as much now doing and saying what he used to, on Tykes telly.
    And can you blame him ehh ?. 😕
    If I was him, I would have binned the whole thing, and told them all to sod off.
    Things have come out since which prove him to be right, but it really annoys me that he got slagged off at the time. 😵

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Luke Goddard received a mountain of abuse, much of it personal, on the BBS at the time of his Garrison Presentation and the Conway Out Group.

To repeat yet again--- Parekh and Cryne had the balance of power handed to them when the Investor Group ditched Conway and aligned their 20% of shares with Parekh and Cryne. No wrestling required.
    I’m not saying that Jean Cryne jumped up and grabbed Conway around the neck and wrestled him to the ground.

But neither do I believe that Neerav and the Crynes just sat there like manikins waiting for the investor group to throw the club into their lap ???
    Is that what you are suggesting?

What has gone has gone but the main thing is that this charleton is kicked out of football for good , he deserves his just deserts for the amount of misery he has brought to the clubs and fans he has been involved in .

The outcome of the FA enquiry may contain eye opening information regarding the activities of our ownership group, and that may include details regarding Conmans shenanigans.

Its getting close to the outcome announcement being overdue so maybe its imminent that we find out. I for one cant wait to hear the full story.

'Another fine mess' perhaps?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast