+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T are you more active since you retired?

O/T are you more active since you retired?

Managed to retire at 59 a year earlier than planned.

I had all these ideas what I wanted to do with my free time but have never got around to say 75% of them as something else always seemed to have cropped up more. Personal and mainly family issues, many times, set me back, then something else would come along and changed my next planned adventures/ chores.

I like DIY and have to say I'm a very good decorator/painter. Sometimes I wish I had taken the plunge and set up my own business many years ago. I had the self finance to get me going but never took the brave step in doing so.

One of my big loves was and probably still is, given the chance, photography, be it wildlife/ family/ historical so I feel this is my next aim to get back into this asap. Still have all my gear sufficient to fulfill my needs so yes why not, I'm sick to the back teeth of late of decorating my home, I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Managed to retire at 59 a year earlier than planned.

I had all these ideas what I wanted to do with my free time but have never got around to say 75% of them as something else always seemed to have cropped up more. Personal and mainly family issues, many times, set me back, then something else would come along and changed my next planned adventures/ chores.

I like DIY and have to say I'm a very good decorator/painter. Sometimes I wish I had taken the plunge and set up my own business many years ago. I had the self finance to get me going but never took the brave step in doing so.

One of my big loves was and probably still is, given the chance, photography, be it wildlife/ family/ historical so I feel this is my next aim to get back into this asap. Still have all my gear sufficient to fulfill my needs so yes why not, I'm sick to the back teeth of late of decorating my home, I need to get out more.

Hopefully there is a camera club with travelling distance of you that you could perhaps consider joining? As for me there are times when I’m very busy, but also managed to be physically quite active as well. Mix blessings some sometimes as my step granddaughter - even though she’s barely into her ****s - is one heck of a cyclocross/gravel and mountain bike rider - even though I’m fairly fit and strong there are times now I simply can’t keep up with her. Her progress is monitored by a couple of professional teams but her main motivation just seems to be the love of doing it and being in the great outdoors!

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Hopefully there is a camera club with travelling distance of you that you could perhaps consider joining? As for me there are times when I’m very busy, but also managed to be physically quite active as well. Mix blessings some sometimes as my step granddaughter - even though she’s barely into her ****s - is one heck of a cyclocross/gravel and mountain bike rider - even though I’m fairly fit and strong there are times now I simply can’t keep up with her. Her progress is monitored by a couple of professional teams but her main motivation just seems to be the love of doing it and being in the great outdoors!
    Saw, that sounds like a great past time. I have a very close friend who alas, has now moved permanently to Lanzarote. We use to mountain bike the old P.enisstone railway track for about 6 miles each way. I miss that so much. My bikes are still in the garage! Maybe it's the man friend I miss the most. I do go fishing regular with a great friend though and that gets me out and about. Off down to Newark in his caravan for 4 days fishing the Tent in July and some silly nights In Newark itself to wind down after a hectic days fishing.

Good luck to your step Granddaughter and her future aims.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Saw, that sounds like a great past time. I have a very close friend who alas, has now moved permanently to Lanzarote. We use to mountain bike the old P.enisstone railway track for about 6 miles each way. I miss that so much. My bikes are still in the garage! Maybe it's the man friend I miss the most. I do go fishing regular with a great friend though and that gets me out and about. Off down to Newark in his caravan for 4 days fishing the Tent in July and some silly nights In Newark itself to wind down after a hectic days fishing.

Good luck to your step Granddaughter and her future aims.
    Thanks Brin - you too. Hope you pursue your photography and whatever else grabs your interest. I sometimes say to folk if it interests you, then follow that. It may just be the metaphorical itch that needs to be scratched or it could lead to something that you pursue as a past time. Retirement is a significant life stage and adjustment

Got to keep your mind active. I've got limited interests but enough. I walk bout 5 miles almost every morning up a few slopes been doing that for 6 years lost weight doing it.

Make the most of it Brin

I was enjoying retirement until ill health came along and cramped my style and like you " family tragedy" put the mockers on things

I've no interest in retirement. I enjoy what I do and have a good life balance now. When I retire it'll be at a point where I'm pretty sedentary without the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Make the most of it Brin

I was enjoying retirement until ill health came along and cramped my style and like you " family tragedy" put the mockers on things

Sorry to hear that, Grist. Hope you manage to make the most of circumstances as they are - go well

I go pot holeing every day.

"Retired (took voluntary redundancy)" @ 58.
    Spent first 2.5 years looking after Mrs BM58.

Now taken up golf (I'm still s#!t at it) and try to get 3 walks/jogs of 4 miles per week.
    Prior to that it was work sat at a desk followed by home so in answer to question yes I'm more active now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast