+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We'll go with what we've got

We'll go with what we've got

What a predictable soundbite from Davis, our very own King of Spin. No doubt he will be allowed to convey his latest message to the masses on Radio Stoke and through the Chronicle, no questions asked. And once again, Crewe fans will fall for it hook line and sinker.

Your lies don't wash with me Steve!

Ps. If anybody goes on to place all the blame on the board, you're simply wrong. One particular board member is a parasite, and needs to go. However, Davis HAS had money to spend, but has chosen not to do so.

True, he would have more money if that particular board member hadn't acted as he has acted, but hey, let's just believe every word that comes out of Alistair Campb I MEAN Steve Davis' mouth.

re: We'll go with what we've got

It is bemusing, it is quite amazing. So many stupid things being said then not acted upon.

After Rochdale the radio interview eluded to no money or backing - so a little 'blame'. But the whispers are this isn't true and money is there and he is being asked/urged to spend to turn this around, but isn't doing.

Is that about right DannyCol?

If so it is the madest thing ever. What is trying to be achieved? A loss tomorrow and he'll hear upset fans - more so as Vale will (rightly) mock us. A battering tomorrow and he'd have to go wouldn't he?

I am pro-Steve as you all know, but this is getting ridiculous and so much said that isn't and so much not said that is worrying.

That was what I first heard the day after deadline day. Nothing substantial like Holland had that summer, but enough cash to at least make a difference. Whether we could also afford the wages, that I don't know.

I really don't know what his end game is atm. Why is he refusing to shore up the defence? Is it because he doesn't want to undermine his son?* That is the only logical explanation I have, because how many other managers would refuse to at least TRY and strengthen the worst defence in the FL?? There must be an ageing, expeienced Championship defender out there who isn't getting game time, that would be willing to come here on loan for a few months, surely?

*I realise his son is injured, but I literally can think of no other reason as to why he isn't strengthening the defence.

at least 2 of the back 4 are not up to this league or the league below (we may find out!). Ray needs an Artell type to bring him on and he'll be good.

The whole situation is bonkers and if tomorrow goes bad it will turn sour I expect

It has been a poor 14 months or so, maybe he can't do it without the star players?

Looked ominous when Mellor and Ellis went and weren't replaced and then if you believe the comments from certain quarters about Ellis being a 'lucky defender', you would have thought a better replacement would have been brought in. I will never be convinced about Ray being League 1, or maybe 2, quality. Nothing against the lad, just he's not good enough IMO.

Bad defending last season and no replacements brought in for the departures, so what do you expect to happen again ?. I am also getting a little tired of reading the same old rubbish that is put on the OS reporting that the players have it in them as it's seen at training but it's just not happening on the pitch. Surely then, we need to ask why. Bad tactics, poor management, players not up to it ?. Whatever the reason, it needs sorting and quick and maybe, shock horror, we need to break our wage structure for 1 or 2 'experianced' players who would come and get stuck in.

The heading is so apt, it's the exact feeling I had when preseason started. All the inferences were 'we are going with the young ones'. I watched with interest other L1 clubs building their squads, all bar a few picked up experienced players either to sure up a defence or midfield or just bolster the squad. No, we waited for the chosen few...again young premier league players wanting a game all hedging their bets with their parent team and not really coming for the cause. Now they are all scared off and won't come near us,the only experienced players we'll get are those at the bottom of the barrel who definitely can't get in their match day squads. It was disappointing to hear 'i'll ask the board' on the eve of deadline day??? what happened to the end of and off season planning, surely there must have been a plan, or was it back to this topics heading.
    I am still looking forward to watching this team of youngsters play because i think they could be a good side but they need experience

This Crewe team is no better than lower half L2!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyCol
    That was what I first heard the day after deadline day. Nothing substantial like Holland had that summer, but enough cash to at least make a difference. Whether we could also afford the wages, that I don't know.

I really don't know what his end game is atm. Why is he refusing to shore up the defence? Is it because he doesn't want to undermine his son?* That is the only logical explanation I have, because how many other managers would refuse to at least TRY and strengthen the worst defence in the FL?? There must be an ageing, expeienced Championship defender out there who isn't getting game time, that would be willing to come here on loan for a few months, surely?

*I realise his son is injured, but I literally can think of no other reason as to why he isn't strengthening the defence.
    I believe that we displayed an interest in the former Walsall CH who signed for Sheffield Utd. in the summer. He has chosen to return to the Cobbler

So, so predictable. Have spent all week waiting for some hope of a signing to cheer us all up and nothing happens. Like so many others I am becoming totally disillusioned this season. For the first time in years I'm starting to think "do I really want to go?". How much longer can this farce carry on? "What we've got" is clearly not good enough for League 1. Now if only we had Chuks ...

Chuks is nota centre half. We do need an experienced centre half and we have to face facts that anyone any good will already be at a club and playing. The reason we can't attract layers other than premier league academy players is the wage structure which ain't gonna change anytime soon. If you look at our centre halves, George Ray always looks like he has a mistake in him. No, he may mature into a decent player but it ain't gonna happen overnight. Duggy, bless him, is not good enough to be the senior CH, so it is really important that we get our best defender back as soon as possible. Harry Davis may not be the most popular player at the club but the reality is that we look better defensively with him than without him. Guthrie looked decent at left back last season but in reality he is a centre half so I would ultimately like to see him playing alongside HD and we should be looking to sign a decent left back.