+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Checkatrade Trophy/Cup

The Checkatrade Trophy/Cup

Now then County lads, I wanted to ask what you all think about this pointless compo.
    We/Barnsley were the last team to win it when it was the Johnstone's Paintpot Cup, in 2016. And it was still a proper knockout cup compo then and they didnt allow Prem U21 teams in either.
    Would any fan really be bothered if they scrapped this compo, because for me its a total waste of time and effort these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Now then County lads, I wanted to ask what you all think about this pointless compo.
    We/Barnsley were the last team to win it when it was the Johnstone's Paintpot Cup, in 2016. And it was still a proper knockout cup compo then and they didnt allow Prem U21 teams in either.
    Would any fan really be bothered if they scrapped this compo, because for me its a total waste of time and effort these days.
    Don’t have an issue with it as the FL Trophy but totally against the whole B team scenario, it’s just wrong in so many levels.

I’ve boycotted it but if it reverts back to just being a FL trophy again without PL B teams then I don’t have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Don’t have an issue with it as the FL Trophy but totally against the whole B team scenario, it’s just wrong in so many levels.
    I’ve boycotted it but if it reverts back to just being a FL trophy again without PL B teams then I don’t have an issue with it.
    Well it was always the 'Associate Members Cup' wasnt it, for the teams in the lower two leagues. And the FL just had to spoil it didnt they, making it a group stage to begin with, and allowing the U21 Prem teams in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post

I have an issue with it. its a +++p competition and should be scrapped. No-one takes it seriously, and the early rounds cost clubs money. So basically they are paying to field and understrength side against understrength competitors or Prem B teams. Not worth the money to go and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    What's it matter? We won't be in it next season.