+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro game today - Serbia v England..... KO 20.00

Euro game today - Serbia v England..... KO 20.00

Here it is, the one we've all been waiting for. A flip or a flop for us, what's it to be?

Gareth Southgate says England will need to be "exceptional" to progress beyond the Euro 2024 group stages as they focus on Sunday's opener against Serbia. The 53-year-old told German newspaper Bild earlier this week that failure to win a trophy in Germany could see the end of his stay as England manager.

Southgate has been in charge since 2016, taking his side to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals, the Euro 2020 final and the 2022 World Cup quarter-finals in Qatar. His contract is due to expire in December but the Football Association are keen for him to remain as manager for the 2026 World Cup in USA, Canada and Mexico.

I just hope he's brave enough to make changes when required and not be weak like he was against the Italians last time around.

As for Serbia, they arrive in Germany following a mixed bag of results, having lost 2-1 to Austria before beating 3-0 Sweden in their friendly matches. Despite qualifying for four of the past five World Cups, they will take part in their first European Championships since 2000, when Serbia and Montenegro competed as FR Yugoslavia.
    Coached by former player Dragan Stojkovic, Serbia will look to cause problems from set-pieces and with long balls in to former Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who now plays in Saudi Arabia.
    Juventus forward Dusan Vlahovic will bolster the attack, while Chelsea goalkeeper Dorde Petrovic and Fulham midfielder Sasa Lukic are also in the squad.

A few match stats between the two:

There have been 15 matches between these sides – 14 involving England and Yugoslavia plus the Three Lions' 2-1 win against Serbia and Montenegro in a friendly in Leicester in 2003.

Harry Kane is set to make his 23rd major tournament appearance and play his 12th game at the Euros – both will be new outright records for England.

Jordan Pickford is one shy of matching Peter Shilton's record of 10 clean sheets for England at major tournaments.
    Gareth Southgate's side have won one of their previous five games in all competitions (D2, L2).

England have played 38 games at the Euros (this will be the 39th) – the most by a team that has not won the competition!

The Three Lions beat Croatia 1-0 at Wembley in their opening game at Euro 2020 but have failed to win their first match at their other nine European Championship appearances (D5, L4).

Serbia have been eliminated in the group stage in each of their last four major tournament appearances, all at the World Cup – as Serbia in 2010, 2018 and 2022, and as Serbia and Montenegro in 2006.

A third of Serbia's 15 goals in qualifying were headers, the highest proportion of any Euro 2024 finalist.

It will be a 1-1 draw and not a great performance, we will sit deep pass the ball around in our own half or at the halfway line, we won’t press high and will be slow in attack. However I have been wrong predicting every score so far so hopefully I will be wrong again, in our favour

Ultimately it's down to the players themselves in my opinion irrespective of who stands in the technical area .

Once the players cross that white line it's down to them , we know we've got the attacking talent , I take the point defensively it's more workmanlike but none the less Walker , Stones and Shaw are decent enough to see us go all the way .

Plenty of experience now to tap into at the business end of tournaments .

There's no reason why we can't win it in my opinion .

Anyone feel excited about our upcoming game? Being honest I've never felt so underwhelmed about an England game ever.

Poor millers season. Failure in the champions league by English teams and a on paper poor English defence. Not much to get excited about ☹️

Btw 3.1 England imo

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Guehi, Trippier
    Rice, Alexander-Arnold
    Bellingham
    Saka, Kane, Foden

Win 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Anyone feel excited about our upcoming game? Being honest I've never felt so underwhelmed about an England game ever.

Just Southgate always been a loser in the end. To make up for that tonight's game England to be winning at HT & FT you can get just over Evens that's tempting.

The lead up to the competition wasn’t as gung-ho as I expected, but so far all of the games have been half decent.

Please England, go for it, the players are there

3-0 victory for me

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The lead up to the competition wasn’t as gung-ho as I expected, but so far all of the games have been half decent.

Please England, go for it, the players are there

3-0 victory for me
    Grist I want us to be out of sight by half time. Set up to attack, no tippy tappy football across the back but full on high pressing from the start.

Show some balls lads and get straight in their faces.

Here’s hoping for a solid win to let everyone else know, THE LIONS HAVR ARRIVED!!!!!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Grist I want us to be out of sight by half time. Set up to attack, no tippy tappy football across the back but full on high pressing from the start.

Show some balls lads and get straight in their faces.

Here’s hoping for a solid win to let everyone else know, THE LIONS HAVR ARRIVED!!!!!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!
    teams tend to reflect the personality and approach of the management team, we have seen that at Rotherham this past season

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast