+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warne hoping Smallwood accepts offer

Warne hoping Smallwood accepts offer

The Millers have offered midfielder Richie Smallwood a new deal, speaking to the Star, Warney says why he hopes he stays at the club. - External Link

Richie Smallwood was sent out because he wasn't the kind of players we needed where Stubbs wanted to take us.....that is a mid table championship team.

He took too long to see a pass and then the majority of his passes were negative and sometimes not even safe.

SInce the ambition to achieve this goal dissappeared after Stubbs' sacking - the towel was in the centre of the ring when he was recalled.

Now we're in league one ( by design ) Smallwood will do a decent job - but what about the future ?

There are concerns about the highly awaited new facilities - the "retained list" painted a picture and now recruitment will tell the tail of what ambition is left in the club.

We'll see....?

But I think we'very found our level......

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    Richie Smallwood was sent out because he wasn't the kind of players we needed where Stubbs wanted to take us.....that is a mid table championship team.

He took too long to see a pass and then the majority of his passes were negative and sometimes not even safe.

SInce the ambition to achieve this goal dissappeared after Stubbs' sacking - the towel was in the centre of the ring when he was recalled.

Now we're in league one ( by design ) Smallwood will do a decent job - but what about the future ?

There are concerns about the highly awaited new facilities - the "retained list" painted a picture and now recruitment will tell the tail of what ambition is left in the club.

We'll see....?

lbj when do you go on holiday? You are high jacking threads again and talking about AS.

If you mean "hijacking".....

How - in the city of culture - can a statement be made regarding Smallwood and mentioning his departure at the hands of Stubbs be "hijacking".

My goodness - graceous me !

Those two individuals have close links that are worth a mention - and - writing of this kind allows pertinent points to be introduced to the short ( for me ...lol ) post.

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post

We'll see....?

No, Stubbs preferred midfielders who hid in games and shied away from tackles like Forster-Caskey and Scott Allan.
    Sending Smallwood on loan was just one of his many clueless mistakes.
    Get the contract signed Richie.

Now that's just a lack of understanding about football and based on dogma !

Mellow....the players to which you refer are "footballers"....Vaulks - Adeyemi could be described as Smallwood type players BUT BETTER !

So Smallwood was sent out to free up some cash as there was bugger all to splash about was there.

How many of a similar kind of player does a team need.....and - when the quota is full - the lesser player goes out - very sensible too...

Didn't Stubbs notice that Adeyemi was injured then and Vaulks was mostly chasing shadows because he was still adjusting to the demands of the Championship?
    Smallwood should have been in the team.

If he didn't pirouette three times then pass it sideways or backwards.....that needed kicking out of him to be a better player.

It became a confidence thing in the end....I love Smallwood but he was sent out for the right reasons.....

Surplus to requirements

Free up dosh

Get his act together - sharpen up....

He's come back more ( let's say ) proactive.....and in league one he'll do a grand job....honest as the day is long and will bleed for the team.....

But setting up as a counter attacking team outgunned in 90% of matches Smallwood was too slow to start the attacking process off.....to get it to Izzy and Taylor to feed Ward....

League one will be bog standard football 4-4-2 and derivatives - so he'll fit in fine........that's all I'm saying....I think ?

Done...yes....UTM

I partly agree with that lbj but a big problem for me is that our midfielders weren't showing for the ball, probably through lack of confidence, so Richie often had little option but to pass sideways or backwards.
    He's passed forward more often in recent games since Frecks and Adeyemi have been back in the side.
    Richie's job is to break up play, win the ball and give it to a teammate in a better position but they have to be available first.
    If he signs the contract I think he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

Smallwoods target / orders would have been - GIVE IT TO IZZY.......How was he not showing for it - bringing him in was a stroke of genius......and didn't Ward benifit from this tactic !

Barring "individual errors" we would have been fine...and Stubbs knew exactly who was to blame......and the buggers still here....lol

TACTICS TEST

Breaking free: How to counter-attack

Former Scotland boss, Craig Brown, explains how to counter-attack to devastating effect

The counter-attack can mean very different things

"I’ve been in charge of sides facing much stronger opposition and have been forced to look at playing on the break because we’d simply expect to be penned back a lot.

Other teams use counter-attacking tactics successfully against weaker teams and in two or three quick moves can go from defending to scoring a goal."

We were commonly the former of these two situations....but the two "footballers" you mentioned would have been useful when we were at least even in stature to other clubs struggling at the bottom of the league.....

Then - we wouldn't have to "park the bus" we could have played football.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast