+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you find a number of World Cup games boring and predictable?

Do you find a number of World Cup games boring and predictable?

OK. I get it.

Don't lose the opening group game whatever you do.

A win or draw is fine.

It leads to indifferent games unless the two teams are well imbalanced.

Last group game like England Vs Denmark can be a dead rubber with not much reason to bust a gut winning the game.

So throw on 8 or 9 subs; that'll do it.

Where has the flair gone?

Where is the entertainment value?

I am just about fed up to the back teeth with boring back passes and equally boring side passes.

Who is trying to break the lines: Who's running at defenders and putting the fear of God up them?

Pretty much no-one.

It's left to the wingers --as long as they are passed the ball.

And even then they will only try to beat a defender down the line as a last resort! Far better to pass back every time

As a general comment the first act of any player is to play with fear; fear he will lose the ball.

Thus boring, predicable, going nowhere, passes.

Just fast forward any game you choose and watch the movements and attacks. All played the same way.

How many shots on goal did England have last night?

Along the way the game has suffered.

You are right of course but I am afraid it is how most sides play these days right down through the different levels ... monotonous and predictable.

The name of the game in cup competitions is to get through to the next round.

Because FIFA are bonkers please don't blame the teams for playing by the rules. (Japan for example!)

You have to remember that football today is so much better and more exciting than it ever was before because the players are all better than anyone who played before, they are all fitter and they play on near perfect pitches ---it has to be much, much better --hasn't it?

To be honest, every WC I've watched, and it's more than I care to count now, has had it's fair share of boring, predictable games, this one is no different.

Yes, a standard world cup so far for me, no better or worse than any other.

Hopefully we will see some good matches in the knock out stage.

would be boring - only play 6 games to reach the Furinal - and 3 of those are in the group poo - better off with table football - play any team you like....even Italy !

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Yes, a standard world cup so far for me, no better or worse than any other.

Hopefully we will see some good matches in the knock out stage.
    Indeed entirely standard and boring the tournament would be a whole lot better if they went back to 16 countries instead of continually extending it such that the ruling elite can collect votes from non-entity federations around the world

Same with the Euros should have stuck with the best eight countries ...

roll on August 11th

Well I thought your Subbuteo comment was good Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    You have to remember that football today is so much better and more exciting than it ever was before because the players are all better than anyone who played before, they are all fitter and they play on near perfect pitches ---it has to be much, much better --hasn't it?
    I'd agree that they may be fitter Sub, but its no longer a level playing field, players used to play for the sport/shirt not the money, cheating has always gone on but not to the extent we unfortunately see today, and the Referees, FA, and Fifa don't help the situation as they are a main problem, but we've always disagreed on the last subject Sub but each to their own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)