+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Opening Day Memory

Your Best Opening Day Memory

Only one for me , West Ham at home 1997 .

Absolutely scorching that day , the atmosphere in the pubs in town was unbelievable .

Once inside Oakwell the atmosphere was even better , all home areas a total season ticket sell out .

Feck me when Redders scored in front of the Ponty early doors , one of those moments wasn't it ?

Ok I know we lost the game in the second half but we'd arrived at long last , top flight football .

They can never take that away from us .

There ant been many like that. Losing away at Charlton 99/00 season n' thinking we've got Bassett in charge (ump**** promotions) Hignett ex Boro and can't believe we'd lost. I was 14 and we were in our second season back in Championship. I'd written 98/99 as a bad day at office and was fully expectant of us breezing the division.

Even though we lost and I wasn't there I was on my family holiday in Scarborough it's my best memory because until now it's the most optimistic I'd ever been coming into a season.

Winning away at West Brom then winning the next five games , Premiership bound , reyt teeurm

August 1981 , Barnsley 4-0 Shrewsbury .

First game back in the old second division since the late 50's .

I remember the day well because pre match we were all in the old social club having a few beers and Botham was smashing the aussies all over Old Trafford in that memorable ashes series on the tv .

West Brom away August 96. What a day. A skinful o Carlin Premier in Sutton coldfield, a tear up wi some baggies boys artside Hawthornes afooar game weer we unfortunately took a bit of a shoeing but then treated to one of the best away performances I've ever witnessed. It dint get much better than that back in the day when a wo young and daft

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    West Brom away August 96. What a day. A skinful o Carlin Premier in Sutton coldfield, a tear up wi some baggies boys artside Hawthornes afooar game weer we unfortunately took a bit of a shoeing but then treated to one of the best away performances I've ever witnessed. It dint get much better than that back in the day when a wo young and daft
    I reckon you were on the same coach as us that day pass , we went with the mount and stopped in Sutton Coldfield pre match too .

Football we played that day at The Hawthorns was off the scale and the rest as they say was history .

4th of August 2018 when we beat Oxford 4-0 with Geggenpressing the Stendel way on a gorgeous sunny Oakwell afternoon and then to go on and win the League with over 100 points what a season!

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    4th of August 2018 when we beat Oxford 4-0 with Geggenpressing the Stendel way on a gorgeous sunny Oakwell afternoon and then to go on and win the League with over 100 points what a season!

:-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I reckon you were on the same coach as us that day pass , we went with the mount and stopped in Sutton Coldfield pre match too .

Football we played that day at The Hawthorns was off the scale and the rest as they say was history .
    Carnt remember if it was Mount or Dove bus that day mate. A usually went with Dove. It were disappointing cos there were 50 on that bus giving it large from behind the windows and only 6 or 7 of us got off to have a pop at em. It happened reight artside grarnd cos bus got stuck in traffic and their boys were wanting it big time. 10 pints pre match it seemed all systems go. I took a big swing and surprise surprise I missed , lost mi balance and went darn like a sack o spuds! That skinful o beer helped numb the pain as the booits came in thick and fast. No coppers were abart either which made it really volatile. When word got around the home fans 10 mins after the initial scuffle they proper rounded up big time and a thort we'd not get in that grarnd alive

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Carnt remember if it was Mount or Dove bus that day mate. A usually went with Dove. It were disappointing cos there were 50 on that bus giving it large from behind the windows and only 6 or 7 of us got off to have a pop at em. It happened reight artside grarnd cos bus got stuck in traffic and their boys were wanting it big time. 10 pints pre match it seemed all systems go. I took a big swing and surprise surprise I missed , lost mi balance and went darn like a sack o spuds! That skinful o beer helped numb the pain as the booits came in thick and fast. No coppers were abart either which made it really volatile. When word got around the home fans 10 mins after the initial scuffle they proper rounded up big time and a thort we'd not get in that grarnd alive
    PMSL , pass at least tha turned up mate , plenty to be said for that .

Jeez I could tell thi some stories mate from way back when , had some boot me sen , tha can't win em all at that game .

I mean Cambridge , fecking Cambridge , it's embarrassing , at least WBA are a big club , got a reight hiding in 81 .

:-) :-) :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast