+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should Warney focus now on in training...

What should Warney focus now on in training...

For me:

1. Defensive shape

2. getting wingers to track back and help full backs

3. Set pieces both attacking and defensive

4, Converting Ajayi to a cm

5. Shooting skills

We can keep up this season if ya listen to your Uncle Roly Warney and I don't even charge for me advice...

So on everything then basically?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    For me:

1. Defensive shape

2. getting wingers to track back and help full backs

3. Set pieces both attacking and defensive

4, Converting Ajayi to a cm

5. Shooting skills

We can keep up this season if ya listen to your Uncle Roly Warney and I don't even charge for me advice...
    1 yes
    2 they do track back (mostly) it’s getting up front to help the lone striker that’s needed
    3 yes
    4 for now maybe but not long term
    5 yes and taking bloody penalties (not that we get many thankfully &#128514

I think he needs to concentrate on the defensive qualities of the four midfielders he picks.

Defence starts in midfield. If the players there do that job correctly then the full backs become the second line of defence, basically mopping up.

We are woefully short of midfielders that can block, tackle and generally rough up the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    I think he needs to concentrate on the defensive qualities of the four midfielders he picks.

Defence starts in midfield. If the players there do that job correctly then the full backs become the second line of defence, basically mopping up.

We are woefully short of midfielders that can block, tackle and generally rough up the opposition.
    Oh for a Gerry Gow/Raggy/Stephen Quinn type of midfielder from yester year

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Oh for a Gerry Gow/Raggy/Stephen Quinn type of midfielder from yester year
    Unfortunately a player like Gerry Gow wouldn't last 5 minutes before being sent off in the modern game.
    We do however desperately need a couple of midfielders who can win the ball, look after it and pick a pass. Darren Potter could have done that so we should be looking for someone of a similar style.
    I'm not convinced it will happen before Thursday though so we'll probably end up scrabbling around in the loan bucket again.

"Little Quinny" still only 32 y.o. and now out of contract at Reading?

Our positioning was awful on Saturday, and nobody was tracking back like they should

Vaulks was particularly poor which meant Taylor often had to cut in towards the middle, this then left Vyner exposed and contributed to his woeful game. He had a bad game Vyner but it wasn't entirely his own fault. If he has little support then he can't stop everything. But again, his positioning and lack of tracking back at the right moment didn't help either

I think our attacking options will develop more naturally, our main focus in training absolutely needs to be defending

Non of the above .
    Just pick the right players.

We can't out pass opposition.
    It's too early in the season for our fitness to be effective.
    Only option ATM is set pieces and pressure. Fill the team with big lumps and press press press

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Non of the above .
    Just pick the right players.

We can't out pass opposition.
    It's too early in the season for our fitness to be effective.
    Only option ATM is set pieces and pressure. Fill the team with big lumps and press press press
    How about practising passing to your own teammates, running into space and holding the ball up - if we don't learn these basic skills we are "doomed".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast