+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T How sad is this.

O/T How sad is this.

Nigel Benn the boxer making a come back at the ripe old age of 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Really?

You’ll be telling me next that Hilary Benn is going to be an MP

Oliver McCall who knocked out Lennox Lewis, then lost to Frank Bruno at Wembley in a defence of the World Titles he won is still boxing. He's never retired.

Nuts!!!

Benns comeback is pantomime at its best. He'll win his return fight then fight either Chris Eubank or Steve Collins. It will be pay per view against either of those 2 and the sad thing it will make a lot of money for all concerned. There's suckas all over that will pay to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Obviously needs the money! The BBBC should with hold his licence. Making a mockery if he comes back, he won’t last 5 rounds against a young opponent. Then again it’s boxing.......’I said take a dive in the 4th’

Seeing this brought back some memories of the Eubanks/Watson/Benn era of the early 90s.

I took a look at the report of the epic but tragic Eubanks/Watson fight of September 1991 (I was at a wedding that day but sneaked out of the reception to listen to the fight on the car radio) and on the topic of 'how sad is this' the report states "There was no ambulance or paramedic at the event". Hopefully things have come a long way in the past 28 years

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Seeing this brought back some memories of the Eubanks/Watson/Benn era of the early 90s.

I took a look at the report of the epic but tragic Eubanks/Watson fight of September 1991 (I was at a wedding that day but sneaked out of the reception to listen to the fight on the car radio) and on the topic of 'how sad is this' the report states "There was no ambulance or paramedic at the event". Hopefully things have come a long way in the past 28 years

If Benn fights Eubank i can see somebody getting seriously hurt .This is a disaster waiting to happen

Quote Originally Posted by PokerMillersSwinton View Post
    If Benn fights Eubank i can see somebody getting seriously hurt .This is a disaster waiting to happen
    Or would it be a pantomime with Kent Walton as commentator?

Quote Originally Posted by PokerMillersSwinton View Post
    Saw what happened to probably the greatest ever boxer, Mohammed Ali, after too many rounds in the ring. Not a good idea at their age, whatever they are being paid.

Nah, both boxers will be ok, after the fight Paul Warne will have them running on grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Obviously needs the money! The BBBC should with hold his licence. Making a mockery if he comes back, he won’t last 5 rounds against a young opponent. Then again it’s boxing.......’I said take a dive in the 4th’
    He's already had his licence granted by a different governing body. He doesn't need the money either as he's just built a ten bedroom home in Australia. It's probably more to do with wanting to have one last taste of being in the limelight etc. Also tbf Brin, there are plenty of younger guys out there Benn would take care of, carefully selected opponents for a couple of fights then the biggie v a Eubank, Collins or even Roy Jones Jnr. Jones is still fighting to this day, he was one of the best ever but gets some right hammer these days.

This is not new news either, the Benn comeback has been going on for nearly 2 years. He wanted to just go straight in with Eubank or Collins but they've not been tempted enough. If he wins his fight then is calling either of them out on TV, one of them will cave in and take the fight. Like I said it would do good pay per view numbers even if it's just more about morbid curiosity than wanting to watch a sports spectacle.

The fight game is all about the money, always has been but these days it's worse than ever. Eddie Hearn is currently promoting a fight between 2 jokers off YouTube. Neither are Boxers but are going to have a fight in the ring. It all seems like one big joke but here's the thing... it's expected to do well over 20 million views on YouTube, nearly 10 million watched the press conference. Kerching!!!!!!!